Is Turtlewax F21 car wash is any good and does car wash soaps soften water?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Turtlewax F21 car wash is any good and does car wash soaps soften water?

Just got a 64 oz. jug today for $4.99 at Pepboys. I chose it over Meg's NXT and Gold Class mainly because it claims that it prevents swirl marks w/ it's "nanotechnology." Not sure if anyone has any experience with this or is it just marketing BS?

Also another question is I saw that Simonez has a new type of car wash fluid out that says "no drying required." I'm guessing it softens the water, which leads to my question: Do all or most car wash soap soften the water even by a little bc from my experience my car is more spotty when I wash it w/ just water vs. w/ car wash soap when I don't dry it.

Last edited by tlbkcal; 09-17-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tlbkcal
Just got a 64 oz. jug today for $4.99 at Pepboys. I chose it over Meg's NXT and Gold Class mainly because it claims that it prevents swirl marks w/ it's "nanotechnology." Not sure if anyone has any experience with this or is it just marketing BS?
Swirl marks are pretty much the result of poor washing techniques and improper equipment. I don't think there are any carwash shampoos that will prevent swirls. IMO, just marketing hype.
Also another question is I saw that Simonez has a new type of car wash fluid out that says "no drying required." I'm guessing it softens the water, which leads to my question: Do all or most car wash soap soften the water even by a little bc from my experience my car is more spotty when I wash it w/ just water vs. w/ car wash soap when I don't dry it.
I don't think any of the sampoos incorporate a water softening agent. I would guess the "no drying required" is caused by a sheeting chemical like the one used with the Mr. Clean Auto Wash. Sheeting allows the water to flow from the surface and not bead up. What's left is residual spots which are easily dried with a WW towel. More info can be found here.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but that link says that car wash soap does soften the water...
Old 09-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but that link says that car wash soap does soften the water...
Ah, an oversight on my part and I do stand corrected. You must be refering to the post #8 by Mike ".... Some of the better shampoos also contain natural oils to reduce the possibility of minute scratches by suspending small particles above the surface and water softeners to prevent those dreaded water spots." Or this line ......"Contrary to popular opinion, we do not rinse each portion of the car after shampooing it. Because if it’s hot the water will begin to dry and we run the chance of developing water spots. But if the shampoo is on the paint, its water softening agents will prevent that if you've selected the correctly formulated shampoo." Note the key word "Some" and Mike didn't mention any by name. I honestly can't tell you whethter or not TW falls into the "better" shampoo category. I've managed to prevent water spotting by sheeting and immediately drying after rinsing. Combine the drying with a QD like DGAW will decrease the possibility of spotting.