TST 5000 Paint Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST 5000 Paint Protectant

Just curious if anybody else's dealer offered this?

I bought a Honda Pilot last year, and had them apply this. Really washes up nice, and the water beads perfectly without any waxing.

Picked up our NBP TL-S this past Saturday, and had them apply to it as well. Dealer indicated it's a must on the NBP, as it prevents swirl marks. Interior is treated as well (floor mats and carpet) to be stain resistant.

Anybody else go this route?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the dealerships offer some sort of 3rd party paint protection plan. The product name may be different and most are similar in nature, basically a sealant. They usually carry a 5 year warranty for a new vehicle and whether or not hold up to their claims remains to be seen. One product in the same mold is Xzilon and there's a thread or two on it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Personally, wouldn't trust it. In terms of durability.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

They now offer a 7 year guarantee. Now, I'm sure the guarantee is very subjective, but like I said, I've tried it on one vehicle and really like the results.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Im curious as to the price you paid for protection. Protection is vital, its whether or not the price you paid provides any significant value over something you cold have obtained on your own. Thus far, the users here have yet to agree any dealer applied product is superior.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Im curious as to the price you paid for protection. Protection is vital, its whether or not the price you paid provides any significant value over something you cold have obtained on your own. Thus far, the users here have yet to agree any dealer applied product is superior.

You basically hired a dealership to be your detailer and locked yourself into a 5 year contract or what ever the time frame is you signed up for. If you are happy with it then great! No sweat. All in all though you probably could have paid less or the same but had a professional taking care of your car vs. a highschool student armed with a rotary buffer who may quite possibly do more damage to your vehicle than good. A decent paint sealant can cost around $30 a bottle. Thats basically what you probably paid for unless part of your protection you bought includes paint correction using a polish as well as a sealant? It's a crap shoot with dealerships, although it's a crap shoot with some detailers too! If you are happy with the job they have been doing on your first car then you should be happy with your TL although I believe that you said you got Black NBP. If that is the case The Lord Almighty help you! That is going to take alot of upkeep on your end if you want it to stay looking great. Oh and there are no paint protection products Waxes or sealants that I know of that will prevent scratches unless you get a clear bra.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

The price was $299.

But here was my thought process. I did have it done on my first vehicle (Honda Pilot) with very good results. Also, I have an extremely high level of trust with this dealership. It is Bobby Rahal's dealership, and they run a top notch operation. I can't say enough about them. And also included in the paint protection is treatment of the carpet and mats. All stains are guaranteed to come up with soap and water, or they replace the mat.

And yes, NBP is going to take some work. But I'm up for the challenge. It is just such a striking color when it shines. The car will be garage kept, and I am very anal, so she will stay sparkling.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
NBP is a job. LOL

I can only keep my car clean only when it doesnt move. If i drive it to work, goodbye cleanliness.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Racer

$299, what does that include? how many applications? I would recommend that you buy a clay bar kit and a sealant of your own to apply between the coats put on by the dealership. I Love Black Cars! when they are clean of course
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by conan777
$299, what does that include? how many applications? I would recommend that you buy a clay bar kit and a sealant of your own to apply between the coats put on by the dealership. I Love Black Cars! when they are clean of course

$299 including the paint protectant, which is guaranteed for 7 years. No reapplication necessary. At the 7 year mark, they can reapply, but then only guarantee for 3 years after that.

They included a box of special car wash, which I don't see using as they said it isn't really necessary, and a bottle of polish. They said to apply the polish twice a year to get luster back. Simply put on a cloth and lightly wipe - no need to apply and buff off like wax.

Also, as I said, the treat the carpet and floor mats so that they are stain resistent.

My Pilot is a year old, so can't really say much about the protectant yet, but it looks great after a wash, and the water really beads up.