Tried NXT, goldclass, scratch X, and nanowax and still got lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Tried NXT, goldclass, scratch X, and nanowax and still got lines

I got fine swirl marks all over my car and on my roof. Since my car is lowered I notice them a lot more on the roof. What can I do to get rid of these?????
Old 08-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you trying to remove them by hand? I would use a PC and use Sonus SFX-3 or Poorboys SSR 2 with an orange pad and go to work.

Of course, if you've never done this before and have no idea what im talking about, get it professionally done.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Racer

Like joerockt said - get it professionally done. If you're adventurous, you can get the Porter Cable random orbiter polisher and buff out the swirl marks. I just got one and tried it out for the first time today on my mom's car . It's not hard to do but it is an investment of $$.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you looking to remove the fine scratches or just hide them? To hide them, scratchX first, the proper way (meguiarsonline.com for details), then Meg's Deep crystal polish (step 2), and then NXT tech wax.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Just dial 1911

You know, I actually meant SFX-1 in my first post.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, got my first scratches (looks like some butt-head's keys brushed against the passenger side of my rear door). So much for me being extra careful and parking out of the way. So now I'm going to try Scratch-X to see if I can't minimize the scratches. If that doesn't work, then I'll get a pro to help and get rid of them. It's 4 scratches - 3 light and 1 medium. Annoying.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try Z-PC zaino fusion. It will get rid of it.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

the best way to not get swirl marks is apply the wax side to side in about 2'x2' areas then buff off side to side no circle waxing like the karate kid. when you go in circles you are going against the grain of the paint. paint is sprayed on side to side not in circles. Ive had all black cars never a problem with swirl marks. Mind you the only one who touches my car is me, no car wash, I even told the dealer not to wax it when I picked my car up monday. I also use zymol products, very good little pricey but def. worth it.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JerseySport
the best way to not get swirl marks is apply the wax side to side in about 2'x2' areas then buff off side to side no circle waxing like the karate kid. when you go in circles you are going against the grain of the paint. Well, first off, there is no "grain" in paint. There tiny atomized droplets, which bond to each other, much like you'll see oil do in hot water. The reason its preferred to use straight linear motion is theres less of a chance of seeing marring, as its only visible from one directed light source. Circles are more visibible from all angles of light distribution. Using the same applicator when polishing or applying wax/sealants, creates the same amount of marring, its just less visible when going in straight lineal motion. paint is sprayed on side to side not in circles. Ive had all black cars never a problem with swirl marks. Mind you the only one who touches my car is me, no car wash, I even told the dealer not to wax it when I picked my car up monday. I also use zymol products, very good little pricey but def. worth it.
zymol products, very good little pricey
Ya got that right! And for the money, theres much better.............
Old 09-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Racer

Care to elaborate on that for the money there is much betteR?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Poorboys EX-P, EX, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protectant, Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection, S100, P21S, Nattys, Carnauba Moosewax, Klasse SG, Klasse AIO, to name a few....Keep in mind, none of these dust either.....Im not sure what Zymol, the poster is/was using. regardless, its a very high priced carnauba at best....and just because it costs a fortune, doesnt mean you get a million dollar shine and/or protection...
Old 09-12-2005, 11:40 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Comparing Carnauba waxes Zymol has probably been around the longest; IMO its closest rival would be Pinnacle not quite as expensive and produces excellent results (interesting note that its formulation is based upon Zymol’s Destiny) P21S has also gained a good reputation as an excellent product and good value for money. Whatever your opinion on Zymol waxes they are used on many of the concourse d’élégance entrants

But when its all said and done; It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.
JonM
Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Racer

As so what constitutes preparation?

I guess I just really need to read up on all the howto's.

I guess i really am just looking for a method from start to finish on what products to use (I am not looking for perfection, but close is a good place to start), how to use them and where to begin.

I have a new 05 TL, honestly, when I washed it (which I didn't do THAT great a job washing, but pretty decent I will say) I didn't tell the difference between JUST the wash and after I waxed it with NXT wax. Maybe it just protected it, but isn't it supposed to LOOK better too.

Ryan
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

vidoprof. I couldnt tell the difference after i put on NXT tech wax from just washed. But it did get rid of some swirls in sunlight but not what i was hoping for. Guess its because i didnt properly prep the paint.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vidoprof
As so what constitutes preparation?

I guess I just really need to read up on all the howto's.

I guess i really am just looking for a method from start to finish on what products to use (I am not looking for perfection, but close is a good place to start), how to use them and where to begin.

I have a new 05 TL, honestly, when I washed it (which I didn't do THAT great a job washing, but pretty decent I will say) I didn't tell the difference between JUST the wash and after I waxed it with NXT wax. Maybe it just protected it, but isn't it supposed to LOOK better too.

Ryan
Ryan, one of the best sources of info can be found on Autopia's How To guides located towards the bottom of the page. Another good source is BCC and it's library of detailing articles. Exceldetail also has a "How To" section on his site and most of the other online detailing sites like Proper Auto Care, Top of the Line, Superior Auto Care, Detailer's Paradise, Premium Auto Care and Auto Geek have similar sections.