Treatment of TSX Perferated Leather

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treatment of TSX Perferated Leather

With the small holes in the leather (not the pleather sections), whats the best thing to treat it with: a spray or a paste/liquid?

I recently used Meaigurs Gold Class Cleaning Conditioner. Probelm is as I applied it, it sunk into the holes!

No matter how hard I cleaned it off with a MF, it stayed.

So next time is a spray like 303 more appropriate? And as for now, whats the best way to get the paste out of those small holes?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
[B]Perforated Leather:[/B]

Should be routinely cleaned using a pH-balanced, non-alkaline cleaner (6:1 Distilled water / Woolite® solution) to loosen and lift grease and grime without drying the leather or affecting the hide's natural pH.
In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils

Apply to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer) allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the leather.

Use a product that will dry without leaving a residue in the perforations of the leather or a greasy surface. If a product should leave white spots (dried wax) in the perforations, heat it with a hairdryer or low heat gun to melt it and then blow it through with compressed air (or ‘canned’ air from a computer store)

Recommended products Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle , Groit's Leather Care or Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil
Application Methodology:
•Apply 3-4 ounces of the conditioning oil onto each of the seats with a light to medium pressure
•Best applied to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate the coating (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer)
•Ensure complete coverage of surfaces, especially the seams
•Allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the coating and the leather underneath.
•Buff the surface with a clean 100% cotton Microfiber towel
Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Try a toothpick if you are worried about stuff in the holes.

You might want to try applying the product you are using to the MF cloth, then applying it to the seats (ie dont just spray it on the seats). In any event, I dont think a bit of stuff getting into the holes is a big deal,........never even crosses my mind when I do my TSX seats with lexol. 303 should be fine for your seats if you want to use that.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Instructor

•Apply 3-4 ounces of the conditioning oil onto each of the seats with a light to medium pressure
there are only 8oz in a bottle of z10...that would take 2 bottles to do the car once!

that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much product. i've done the interior of my TL 2x now and have more than 3/4 of the bottle left.

also, to make sure it doesn't get into the perforations, i just spread it thinly on the applicator (microfiber covered sponge) so a big glob doesn't land on the holes and fill them in.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Lexol leather cleaner and lexol conditioner. Great stuff!!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by So Fly TL 973
i keep seeing lexol mentioned in this forum. I'm looking for a conditioner for my TSX seats that will not shine. I've seen old seats on acura cars that look like patent leather and it just looks nasty.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:50 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

303 is the non-sheen go to for most interior surfaces. Dont put it on clear plastic instrument clusters.

Used full strength, not too happy, except did wonders on plood.

1) Clean the interior anyway you need to. Im so clean microfibre and distilled water or vacuum is enough.

2) Constantly dip microfibre into bucket with about a quart of distilled water. Wring it out almost as much as you can. Add a good amount of 303 on your damp rag. Reckon the mix is about 25% 303, 75% distilled water.

3) Wipe diluted 303 on with right hand, buff off with clean microfibre in left hand. When microfibre starts to dry, repeat #2.

Pure happiness. Doesnt even make the dash reflect much off the windshield. Cant smell it diluted. Can smell it at 100% and dont like the rubber duck smell.

exceldetail sells the 303 stuff. should have gone to him first, drove hours and hours to different boat stores that tried to sell me something else. One bottle should do two cars monthly for maybe a year.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by So Fly TL 973
I have a TSX too, and I like these products. I haven't found the perforation thing to be an issue. Just go with it, because short of not doing anything, I don't think there's much you can do.