Touched up corner bumper, how can I get it shiny again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touched up corner bumper, how can I get it shiny again?

Hey guys. Here's the story. I backed into my bro's car, dented in my back right rounded edge of my bumper and cracked alot of my tail light. So I replaced the tail light, and took the bumper off of the car and kicked the dent out and it pretty much did the trick. But, obviously there were tons of spider cracks and a few actual plastic cracks in the back bumper.

So my buddy said that he could try to sand down the clear coat and paint, bondo up the cracks, then repaint it for me and put a clear coat over it. Well, we found a color that was as close to identical as you can get without being the exact color at pep-boys as a spray paint. I was skeptical at first but he said he could fix it as good as new. So we got the paint, and a spray paint clear coat and went to work.

Everything went pretty good until the last step. I thought the clear coat spray paint would come out like the original clear coat that I have on the car already, very glossy and finished. Well I guess I was way too optimistic. The paint always looks dull in that section of the car and because I accidentally waxed it, its always got a white powdery look on top of it when my friend tries to put a little rubbing compound on it to get the white off. When it dries, it's back to whiteish. (My car is the Inza red for the 97 2.2cl.)

Now what makes me even more nervous is that paint looks like it is discoloring, darker in some spots and lighter in others. I'm just really not sure what to do anymore with it, its blatantly different from the rest of the car, just from the glossy aspect alone. Is there anyway to get that glossy finish back on it without taking it to get repainted all together? Im just at the point where I think it was a bad idea even repainting it in the first place, it really looked better before...