View Poll Results: Whats your drying tool?
Waffle Weave
41.79%
Natural Chamois
7.46%
Synthetic Chamois (Absorber)
26.87%
Split Microfiber towel
23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Whats your favored drying impliment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats your favored drying impliment?

As a result of a previous question asked in Wash and Wax, Im trying to decipher what is being used for drying your personal car? Or if your a detailer, what are you using, and briefly, why?
Old 07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted chamois, but am open to better products. Might be nice if people were specific about brands and maybe where they got them also.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Instructor

I've alwyas used the absorber, and have always like the results. I'd be game fro trying out some other products, though.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Instructor

i'm a dealership detailer and i've got a three-step process that i use.

initially, i remove a large quantity of the water with a california water blade... continue with an absorber, and finish with a plush micro-fiber towel.

works great, just be sure that all drying utensils are clean prior to use. I store them in plastic bins in ziploc bags.

Marko
Old 07-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I'm with the other two "posters". I have used The Absorber for years and like the results. I have a waffle weave and am "experimenting" with it. I think my problem with it is, is that it doesn't work like the Absorber and there is some little secret that will make me fall in love with that.

Excel, thanks for all your input and advice on this forum. It has and will come in very handy to keep my car lookin' pristine. Keep up the good work
Old 07-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definetly WW - The ones I'm using are the Excel Monterey (Exceldetail), Big Blue (Proper Auto Care and Micro-Pak Ultra Soft (PakShak). Refer to this thread, post #12 for the drying technique I use.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

I bought some of the waffle weave towel from Patrick and love them. I highly recommend them...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,814 Likes on 3,732 Posts
Hi Pat
I'm using a couple different things and I'm still deciding on which I like best. I have a WW and a large "vroom" MF towel from Target, of all places. I'll be doing my car on the 4th, I plan on using the WW, since i like the concept behind it better. What ever i use I always have an associate MF towel in my other hand. I use diaper cloth on the door jambs/under the hood/ trunk and glass.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Just dial 1911

Leaf blower, WW towel with QD'er (if im not claying)
Old 07-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pttl
What ever i use I always have an associate MF towel in my other hand.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I use the Cobra Guzzler (green with silk border) and the Poorboys large WW (blue, no silk border) drying towel (both MFWW). I have found both to be very good. For door jambs etc I use cheap MF's from where ever.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Advanced.

Originally Posted by TSXXY
i'm a dealership detailer and i've got a three-step process that i use.

initially, i remove a large quantity of the water with a california water blade... continue with an absorber, and finish with a plush micro-fiber towel.

works great, just be sure that all drying utensils are clean prior to use. I store them in plastic bins in ziploc bags.

Marko
The #1 reason I do NOT let dealerships wash my car. The California Blade is only good for creating scatches by picking up dirt that may have not been removed from the car completely and "blading" it across the rest of the cars paint. The only thing I use a squeegie or blade for is my windows.

I voted for the microfiber towel, however, this waffle weave thing has got me curious. What and where are they? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
All right...All right...
I used my WW all over the car this morning and it worked fairly well. I guess they do need a "break-in" period. I do however see how having two of these things will make drying the car a whole lot easier and faster.

Is this correct Excel?

The one I have is about 20" x 30". Would another one this size be good, or would like a 18" x 24" be good enough?

I will be out and about today and if I don't find one I may just have to order one from you.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Knox
The #1 reason I do NOT let dealerships wash my car. The California Blade is only good for creating scatches by picking up dirt that may have not been removed from the car completely and "blading" it across the rest of the cars paint. The only thing I use a squeegie or blade for is my windows.

I voted for the microfiber towel, however, this waffle weave thing has got me curious. What and where are they? Thanks.
i've had zero trouble with it. we keep new blades on hand, and i wipe them off every little while on diaper cloth. i work with dark colored vehicles all the time, and have had zero troubles with scratches. it's all in who does it my friend.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cmschmie
All right...All right...
I used my WW all over the car this morning and it worked fairly well. I guess they do need a "break-in" period. I do however see how having two of these things will make drying the car a whole lot easier and faster.

Is this correct Excel?

The one I have is about 20" x 30". Would another one this size be good, or would like a 18" x 24" be good enough?

I will be out and about today and if I don't find one I may just have to order one from you.
CM, I did my Expedition the other day with one of my Monterey Waffle Weaves, 25x35, soft, satin edges. I also sheet the water off the car while rinsing which keeps the amount of beads to a minimal. This not only helps deter water spots, but normally alleviates any need for wringing your drying towel out. Also as pttl mentioned, its a great idea to have an associate towel in the oppsoite hand, #1 to lean on when reaching, and #2 to help pickup any beads from door handles, wiper blades, those areas prone to "run" when ya turn your back!

10% off today only, use "excelebrat"......as your promo code....
Old 07-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

This is an excerpt from Autopia's article on Microfiber Products:
Drying - There are two different microfiber toweling weaves that make good drying towels: terry cloth and waffle (Piqué) weave. I have found that a short terry loop or one of the offset (longer on one side than the other) terry loops work well for drying. If you choose a microfiber terry cloth with a heavy, plush nap, you won't be able to wring it out when it gets wet. My favorite drying towel material is the Piqué fabric that mimics a waffle pattern. It has the ability to wick up water like nothing else I've found or tested. According to Leo Cerruti, a manufacturer of natural microfiber products, "[Piqué fabric] isn't more absorbent than terry but the ridges act as hundreds of little squeegees which push the water up into the cups giving the fabric time to absorb." As with the terry material, it's best to find a fabric that's not too heavy, or you won't be able to wring it out when it gets saturated.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cmschmie
All right...All right...

Is this correct Excel?

Some folks use the Megs's Water Magnet, check Kragen, AutoZone or Target,
Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by exceldetail

In the immortal words of Austin Powers - YEAH BABY!!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Just dial 1911

Patrick, I placed an order with you yesterday (#1689). Any chance I could get the 10%? Thanks...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
This is an excerpt from Autopia's article on Microfiber Products:

I use something like that occasionally, but only after I wash it first. If it hasn't been washed (which is usually the case). I end up using a soft super absorbant towel. I bascially use it like a sponge and just allow it to soak up most ofl the water, and then wipe the remaining water drops off very carefully.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joerockt
Patrick, I placed an order with you yesterday (#1689). Any chance I could get the 10%? Thanks...
Done deal Joe.............Everything but the Zumas, as they're already reduced 10%...........
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Just dial 1911

Done deal Joe.............Everything but the Zumas, as they're already reduced 10%...........
Thanks chief
Old 07-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Leaf blower, WW towel with QD'er (if im not claying)
Leaf blower??......... Hmmmmmmm, I may try that.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 AM
My first Avatar....

Just as a follow up - as I was drying the car yesterday, i found that the WW loaded up with water too quickly. It got to a point where it was wet enough to leave streaks behind, but it wasn't wet enough to be wrung out. I also think the silk edging actually gets in the way. Any suggestions?

So, I have to say a nice thick MF towel is my weapon of choice - one in each hand, of course.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Leaf blower??......... Hmmmmmmm, I may try that.
I've been doing it for about a year now. Works great because it gets all the water out of all the nooks and crannies. Just wipe the rest down with the towel and a QD'er (we have hard water, so its necessary).
Old 07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
My 3 steps are

1. sheet the water
2. leaf blower for the nooks and crannies
3. WW

I skip step 2 if I am short on time, but always before a coat of was/sealant.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Have camera, will travel

Disagree about the blade. I've been using it for a couple of years now to good effect. Anything you use to dry the car, be it chamois, MF towels, newspaper, whatever, can trap dirt underneath it and scratch your paint as you dry.

The California Water Blade is a very good tool for the job and it definitely cuts drying time dramatically. I wouldn't be using it if it was scratching my paint, Knox.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pttl
Just as a follow up - as I was drying the car yesterday, i found that the WW loaded up with water too quickly. It got to a point where it was wet enough to leave streaks behind, but it wasn't wet enough to be wrung out. I also think the silk edging actually gets in the way. Any suggestions?

So, I have to say a nice thick MF towel is my weapon of choice - one in each hand, of course.
Use a sheeting method when rinsing, this minimizes larger beads of water accumulating......
Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also like to spritz some QD on the car before wiping up the left over water beads with my MF. Makes it slicker, and gives the shine a little extra POP.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
My first Avatar....

Use a sheeting method when rinsing, this minimizes larger beads of water accumulating......
Hi Pat

Yeah - i did that specifically yesterday - still had the full WW syndrome.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I used to use regular mf towels (the large kind), I switched to WW about 6 months ago and now have my drying technique down to a science. I use 2 WW per car, sheet water off with the hose, get most of the water with the first WW, then the rest with the second; I use a regular mf cloth in the other hand for hard to reach areas. The WW's I use are these:

http://pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micr...l-16x24-1.html

which I believe is similar to the one Patrick sells.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice work Jackie...........Im telling ya, that associate towel makes all the difference in the world.....
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I've been doing it for about a year now. Works great because it gets all the water out of all the nooks and crannies. Just wipe the rest down with the towel and a QD'er (we have hard water, so its necessary).
Yea, we have that hard water also. Leaves awful water spots if you don't dry the car quickly........
Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Yea, we have that hard water also. Leaves awful water spots if you don't dry the car quickly........
This also illustrates why it is important to maintain the surface frequently with either Spray waxes i.e. Protect All Do It All, Optimum Spray Wax, Reflections Spray Wax etc)
(This is not a substitution for QD's between washes...)
If you can keep the surface slick, then sheet the water, theres less water for you to remove. Less to remove, less time involved. Less time involved, less promotion for spotting .......
Old 07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Safety Car

So very true! A slick surface leaves less and what's left are residual beads of water easily absorbed by the WW. No streaking and drying time is considerably reduced. OSW & UPPS works great for me. BTW, Thanks Patrick for the prompt service, got my order in the mail yesterday.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

CM, I did my Expedition the other day with one of my Monterey Waffle Weaves, 25x35, soft, satin edges. I also sheet the water off the car while rinsing which keeps the amount of beads to a minimal. This not only helps deter water spots, but normally alleviates any need for wringing your drying towel out. Also as pttl mentioned, its a great idea to have an associate towel in the oppsoite hand, #1 to lean on when reaching, and #2 to help pickup any beads from door handles, wiper blades, those areas prone to "run" when ya turn your back!

Hey exceldetail,
is the 10% deal over?

If so will there be anymore 10% deals coming up?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

I use the Big Blue towel from properautocare.com... best towel by far I've ever used.

As far as Meguiar's water magnet... I tried it... I now use it to wipe brake dust off my rims, scrub my wheel wells, or wipe down my shocks/springs... that thing sucks.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by taz98spin
Hey exceldetail,
is the 10% deal over?

If so will there be anymore 10% deals coming up?
Theres always "acurazine"....
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Racer

Theres always "acurazine"....
How much discount does that come with?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Racer

Where can I buy WW towels other than from the internet? I really don't feel like paying $10 for shipping.

Quick Reply: Whats your favored drying impliment?