Todays detail, Black Carerra S, UDM, OS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Todays detail, Black Carerra S, UDM, OS.

This is a new client of mine. He had previously had some detailers come out, and well, there results didnt meet with his approval. The first guy apparently used a machine of some sort. I showed him the PC but he said it didnt look familiar, so I can only assume it was a Wen or Waxmaster, or a rotary. The next detailer tried by hand, obviously with no swirl removal reductionl.
This was a good opportunity for me to break my virginity with a couple new products today. First the new UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine). Couldn't have arrived at a better time (yesterday) in time for a few details this holiday weekend.
The Carerra was sealed with Optimum OptiSeal. And Im not an easy one to break a "good" habit. I use FS UPP quite regularly, but since I was "in the mood" I gave the OS a shot, and I have to admit, it is certainly a wonderful product. Its so easy to use! Its like wiping on a clear version of UPP! And then doing nothing! It literally clear itself out, before your eyes. I had a few spots where I apparently went a little heavy (Hey Im a first timer with it!) but if you just rewipe with the sponge app, it dissapears. After I was all done with the OS, I put on a MF mit, and held the OS in the other hand for an occasional sprits for some quick touch ups. I found the MF mit (at least for me) mandatory with this product, it just made the whole process, idiot proof. A quick wipe around the Carerra, and it was glistening! Hopefully I will get to check its durability here again in a few months......The owner was extremely pleased and left a very generous tip to boot......
So first up, the Black Carerra S. Typical wash/dry induced swirls. Went at it with a few products first, including Optimum Compound/Orange, followed with Optimum Polish/White. Then tried Four Star Body Shop Medium Compound/Orange, followed with Four Star Body Shop Light Cut/White. Even tried the DG Pink Buffing Gel as a final polish, but I ended up staying with the FS BS twins. It was exactly what this Carerra needed. All first round polishing, I used the UDM, final polish I used the 7424, just to compare. I'll leave a few words about the UDM at the end of this thread.
Heres the marring/swirls in halogen and natural lighting. Excuse the halogen pic, bad setting on the cam....

Heres after

Tires treated with FS Tire Gel, Wheels cleaned with DG All Wheel Cleaner during wash, then QD'd......

Now, the Ultimate Detailing Machine
I found it to be slightly heavier then the original PC, and it vibrated just a tad more. But this thing doesnt know the word "bog". It doesnt even give a hint of stress. I found the dial adjustments a little more worthy of existance compared to the PC, It seems each number actually increases or decreases power supply with a simple turn. However, big mistake I made with the On/Off switch. After adhering the pad and applying polish, my hand or finger apparently ahem.........hit the switch, and you guessed it, it turned on and **** went flying everywhere!
The UDM is definetly a worthy machine, and with included pads, backing plate, bag and wrench at a buck and a half, its well worth it. Its a nice gradual step up, and it really tackled the Carerra's issues with ease.
Its a good buy, in my book!!
I also rediscovered the value of having two machines on hand, It just makes things a lot nicer to be able to compound and polish without having to swap pads. One panel at a time, and I was done in a little over 4 hours with this Carerra, inside and out.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
This reflection shot is money! I read about the new Ultimate Detailing Machine. Who makes it and where can I purchase one? I searched on google and I kept getting the 7424. I already have one unless it has been upgraded.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeeky keen
Old 05-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Sweet, it hasnt been released as of yet, but rest assured, I will be distributing them........The owner of Autopia was kind enough to ship one to me, pre-release. No labels, not quite the final product.
Heres a pic.........
Old 05-26-2007, 12:41 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Let us know when you receive a shipment and I'll buy. I'm not at a stage where I can use a rotary but this looks like a nice upgrade to the 7424.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:04 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
is there anything it didn't remove that can't be seen in pics....
Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Instructor

hey patrick....you mentioned that the UDM vibrated more than a standard PC. i thought one of david's criteria was that it wouldn't vibrate as much? i might be remembering incorrectly though.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dreem1er
is there anything it didn't remove that can't be seen in pics....
No, it pretty much removed everything I hit with it.
hey patrick....you mentioned that the UDM vibrated more than a standard PC. i thought one of david's criteria was that it wouldn't vibrate as much? i might be remembering incorrectly though.
Para, IMO, (and thats why I ran both on the same job) it was just a little larger and vibrated a tad more due to its power. Nothing largely irritating though. Just the routine PC annoyance, and you get use to it rather quickly. Once you see its power, you forget about those annoyances. I have aways heard complaints about how much the PC vibrates, I have never seen it that way. Yeah, it vibrates, but its suppose to!

Short of actually measuring the body, it feels slightly larger also. I know the guard area between body and BP is larger. The CW appears to not be interchangeable. Says use 5" pad only. Well........I actually found a little steadier machine with the 6.5'' and 6" BP !! So thats what I went with! (shhh)

Its the 7424's big brother....and worth every cent. I mean you get pads, and a storage bag?! (With the order)
Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, just read in Autopia; they got a Ultima and UDM event in San Diego on June 10th. Click here for more info.
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
This reflection shot is money! I read about the new Ultimate Detailing Machine. Who makes it and where can I purchase one? I searched on google and I kept getting the 7424. I already have one unless it has been upgraded.
Sweet, you can get more info here
Old 05-26-2007, 05:10 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Hey guys, just read in Autopia; they got a Ultima and UDM event in San Diego on June 10th. Click here for more info.
Sweet, you can get more info here
Hawhyen.

Thanks for the info. I first saw the thread on Autopia a few weeks ago. San Diego is a 9 hour drive for me so I'll wait for the machine to become available through Exceldetail or another place.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Instructor

thanks for the info, patrick. i was wondering about the claim that it would vibrate LESS...especially since it's a DA and all...i mean...how can it NOT vibrate...and also be more powerful at the same time.

definitely worth the extra vibrations, IMO. i have a hitachi rotary now though...so not sure if the UDM is really needed for me at this point. i suppose it would be a great upgrade to have something inbetween the two. i still use my PC whenever i can since it's less risk.