Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:10 PM
"BON-AHHH-KIN-BALLS"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Shine

This must have come up a million times.... but do you guys know of a tire shine that WILL NOT splatter all over the sides of my black CLS. Christ, I used to detail for 4 years and to this day I havent found anything that will stay on the tires and off my paint.

I am truly addicted to wet looking wheels, my car can be spotless buy if there is no tire shine it might as well be filthy... you know? By the way, I use meguires gel and apply it with an applicator. So i know that its not the way im putting it on.

I was at an auto show and there was a guy with a booth claiming that his tire shine would not splatter at all. i was in a hurry at the time and didnt try his product (it was in a purple aerosol type can). Been kicking myself in the ass for not buying it.

Anyhow, any help????
Old 06-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

I use Meg's High Endurance Tire Gel applied with a foam appilicator (Viking). I don't have any splatter issues.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:23 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Black Magic tire shine and it really makes it glossy. I just make sure not to drive for like 5 minutes and I've never had any problems with it.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:07 PM
"BON-AHHH-KIN-BALLS"

yeah, thats what i do to, but what color are your cars. it def shows up on black.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Riders on the Storm

yeah i get the same prob with my 03 black cl-s, i use the black magic gel with an applicator and i won't drive for about an hour on average but sure enough it's gets all over, and you really have to work to get that shit off.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Eagle 1 Tire Shine w/ foam applicators. I never have any problems with it, looks great!
Old 06-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

For many years I have been dissatisfied with tire dressings available in the consumer market. Most are loaded with silicone oil, and those that aren't don't shine well. Plus, most of the products we've tested are very greasy, leave an oily and messy, attract dirt and dust like a magnet, and sling off the tire. Not to mention, have you ever seen a silicone oil-based dressing that has UV protection?

We created Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ to solve these problems once and for all. Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ is a non-oily, rubber and exterior vinyl finishing treatment. Our unique formula contains Ultra-Gard™ UV(40) and our exclusive moisturizing and antistatic solution to prevent drying, cracking and browning. Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ helps repels dust and dirt to keep your tires looking great, longer. One application of Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ leaves an incredibly durable, water repellent, perfect looking satin finish, that's only slightly glossy and dry to the touch.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
I use Meg's High Endurance Tire Gel applied with a foam appilicator (Viking). I don't have any splatter issues.

I use the Meguiar's gel too and never get any splatter on the sides of my car.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:05 AM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Use a foam applicator, I have one w/ a handle which I bought at Target for $4 and you'll find the tire shine won't splatter onto the paint-
Old 06-25-2003, 09:14 PM
It's Go-Time.

I use No Touch Tire Cleaner with a foam applicator when the tires is not wet. After it dries, it has a deep black rubbery look but not shiny or glossy like you've just plastered butter all over the tire.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Jon Bon Bonachinballs
yeah, thats what i do to, but what color are your cars. it def shows up on black.
Aegean
Old 06-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am using the Meguiar's High Endurance Gel (purple gel) and it splatters like mad. I even try to let it dry for a half hour to an hour before driving and I still end up with splatter marks all over.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by gsrblack
I am using the Meguiar's High Endurance Gel (purple gel) and it splatters like mad. I even try to let it dry for a half hour to an hour before driving and I still end up with splatter marks all over.
what are you using to apply it with?

if you're using foam, you should be ok. I believe Viking works best.

if you're using a cotton brand, then eventually after a few swipes the pad will just push and smear the gel. This could cause the splattering effect I believe
Old 06-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I used a foam applicator (the type that is contoured for the tire). However, I don't wash the applicator or anything after I'm done, but I just use it the next time and add more gel to it. This leaves some crap on the applicator (if I push down on it, a bunch of goop squeezes out).

On that note, how do you clean the applicator? Too much goop soaked in!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:25 PM

are you talking about the curved one with the yellow top and black bottom portion that touches the tire? If so, after usuage, water and use your finger to push out the excess. Actually i think they come in a pack of 3 and are fairly cheap...just toss em
Old 07-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah, i think i'll just toss it...tried to squeeze out the gunk, but there seems to be so much of it.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Raptor -

Where do you purchase your Meguiars? I checked out your web photos and was impressed. Is there a place where one can order in bulk and get a discount?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:14 AM
///M POWER

make sure not too use too much tire gel or it will splatter all over
Old 07-10-2003, 05:18 AM
9th Gear

Make sure you use a gel and not a spray. Turtlewax tire shine gel works well and lasts for weeks. (If no rain).
Old 07-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Manny Tranny

303. Best stuff around and it has a built in sun screen. It drys nice with no wet residue.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by gsrblack
I think you guys are just putting it on WAAAAAAAY too thick.

I use the Meguiar's purple gel too and have no problems.
Granted, my 225/40’s don’t have much of a sidewall, but I never get splatter.

I use a foam applicator and apply very little to each tire.
Probably only like a 1” long dab on the applicator to do the entire thing.

Shawn S
Old 07-10-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by John*K
Raptor -

Where do you purchase your Meguiars? I checked out your web photos and was impressed. Is there a place where one can order in bulk and get a discount?
I order directly and get a discount from the cool guys over there. I said I would take my car to like the festival car shows and stuff, and advertise their name...so I got a discount. They also hooked me up with the cordless buffer...pretty neat thing.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by NSXNEXT

For many years I have been dissatisfied with tire dressings available in the consumer market. Most are loaded with silicone oil, and those that aren't don't shine well. Plus, most of the products we've tested are very greasy, leave an oily and messy, attract dirt and dust like a magnet, and sling off the tire. Not to mention, have you ever seen a silicone oil-based dressing that has UV protection?

We created Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ to solve these problems once and for all. Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ is a non-oily, rubber and exterior vinyl finishing treatment. Our unique formula contains Ultra-Gard™ UV(40) and our exclusive moisturizing and antistatic solution to prevent drying, cracking and browning. Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ helps repels dust and dirt to keep your tires looking great, longer. One application of Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ leaves an incredibly durable, water repellent, perfect looking satin finish, that's only slightly glossy and dry to the touch.

Old 07-12-2003, 04:15 PM
i want a bimmer =(

hey Jon Bon...do you have mug guards on your car?
i noticed that when i took mine off, the whole splash factor was more noticable on the panels...just the fact that there was nothing to protect the car from the splatter.

I use Black Magic tire foam...works fine as long as i let it dry competely. The ones that i have trouble with are the "spray gel" ones...they get all over the wheels and are just alot of trouble, i also noticed when i had problems w/ splatter, it was from the "gel" products and not the foam.

i dunno, just my 2 cents...

and NSXNEXT...do you work for Zanio or something?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Instructor

i spray, then I rub in with an applicator, then i rub excess of with a rag. it makes it look black and new. also next time you wash your car and your tires look dry, take a rag to them. you would be suprised that if you rub the tires they will look new again. it was jsut the dirt attaching itself to the tire shine.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I swear by Tire Wet by Black Magic. Just get the commercial sized refill bottle, pour it in a plastic container that has a snap on lid and get yourself a nice cheap paintbrush (Home Depot throw-away kind) 1 1/2"-2" depending on sidewall size. Dip the brush in, wipe the excess and go to town. The Tire Wet lasts a hell of a lot longer and you have more control. I've never had splatter.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:21 PM
"BON-AHHH-KIN-BALLS"

Originally posted by Katies99CL
hey Jon Bon...do you have mug guards on your car?
i noticed that when i took mine off, the whole splash factor was more noticable on the panels...just the fact that there was nothing to protect the car from the splatter.

I use Black Magic tire foam...works fine as long as i let it dry competely. The ones that i have trouble with are the "spray gel" ones...they get all over the wheels and are just alot of trouble, i also noticed when i had problems w/ splatter, it was from the "gel" products and not the foam.

i dunno, just my 2 cents...

and NSXNEXT...do you work for Zanio or something?
Yes I do have mud flaps.... im getting Zaino this week and I will follow up as to how it works.
Kiss..... i like the paintbrush idea!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:50 AM
"BON-AHHH-KIN-BALLS"

You were absolutely right about this stuff, it is awesome..... no splatter at all and the shine is incredible, no smudges and best of all its way easier to apply than anything ive used before. thanks alot man.

Originally posted by NSXNEXT