Tiny Rust colored dots

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009 | 07:12 PM
Advanced

Tiny Rust colored dots

My GF has a white bmw 328i. i've recently notice little brownish specs on the rear bumper, trunk lid and driver side mirror. they don't wash or rub off. she bought it brand new last October. going back to the dealer October 23 to see what they can do. what is it? what can i do to fix it? i was told it might be from the brake pad but how?
Old 10-14-2009 | 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Looks/sounds like good ol' brake dust. Most brake pads contain iron particles which over the life of the pad, naturally deteriorate, and end up on the nations highway (then rinsed into storm drains and finally out to beaches and lakes) All year long, your vehicles surface is exposed to these particulates along the highways which are stirred up every time vehicles travel. Ultimately, some settle on horizontal surfaces of every car.
To remedy your particular situation, consider purchasing a clay bar. Clay bars (which im certain is what your dealer is going to use) help grab these particles when used on all painted surfaces, along with a lubricating lotion or liquid. Sort of like washing your car with a sponge, but your using clay instead. This should be performed twice annually for the every day driven car. Follow with a light polish, and finally a sealant!
Old 10-15-2009 | 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Have a look at this thread .. it will help explain the above.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=rail+dust
Old 10-15-2009 | 09:58 AM
Instructor

I had that same type spots on my last car. With that, mine came from the body shop where they stored my car near grinding operations. SOOOO, the sparks (flying hot metal) landed on my car. The manager tried to tell me that those spots were "Bug droppings."
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pearl TL-S
I had that same type spots on my last car. With that, mine came from the body shop where they stored my car near grinding operations. SOOOO, the sparks (flying hot metal) landed on my car. The manager tried to tell me that those spots were "Bug droppings."
What, did you walk into the shop wearing an oversized "STUPID" hat?
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:20 AM
Instructor

Evidently I did...Complete with bright neon lighting....The best (worst) part was that the paint on the door they repaired and resprayed looked worse than the rest of the car which was a few years old at the time.....
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Ah man thats too bad, really. Obviously you care for your car by coming in and sharing your issue. I hate seeing good people having bad experiences with car care "professionals"...........
Old 10-20-2009 | 02:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Have a look at this thread .. it will help explain the above.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=rail+dust

Looks like that but not as bad.
Old 10-22-2009 | 04:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Looks/sounds like good ol' brake dust. Most brake pads contain iron particles which over the life of the pad, naturally deteriorate, and end up on the nations highway (then rinsed into storm drains and finally out to beaches and lakes) All year long, your vehicles surface is exposed to these particulates along the highways which are stirred up every time vehicles travel. Ultimately, some settle on horizontal surfaces of every car.
To remedy your particular situation, consider purchasing a clay bar. Clay bars (which im certain is what your dealer is going to use) help grab these particles when used on all painted surfaces, along with a lubricating lotion or liquid. Sort of like washing your car with a sponge, but your using clay instead. This should be performed twice annually for the every day driven car. Follow with a light polish, and finally a sealant!
Amen!
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:31 PM
Advanced

The dealer fix it. clayed, sealed and waxed everything. looks brand new, even did a full service while it was there. they said it was brake dust, common problem on light colored cars. They also said if happens again (it will) they'll fix it again free of charge. Thats good service.