Tell Me What You Use & What You Suggest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tell Me What You Use & What You Suggest.

Hi guys.. name is Jay if you guys dont know me but i mostly post in tl and tsx forums... well its been snowing here and i havent had school because of the snow storm in the northeast... so i browsed through A-ZINE.com and read someone's post and gave me an idea to compile this list of car care products just for people like me that never detailed their car before.. just to give us knowledge of what products to use and how to use it...

ever since i've own my first car i never detailed my car before and have no idea how or the proper way.. after reading some post that i search for i now have an idea and would like to get into this kind of thing... i use to own a tsx which my cousin damage and now looking into a tl... these are nice cars and i would like to detail my own car instead of taking it to a shop and have them do it.. so i compiled this list.. just let me know what you use, what you suggest i use for a beginner or professional doesnt matter.. but i would like to use high quality products.. and if im missing anything on my list please feel free to add to it.. this is just a list of things i came up with in 20 minutes.. thanks alot... greatly appreciate it...

heres the list:

Exterior
Wash Soap (Wax Safe)
Clay Kit
Wax/Sealant (Synthetic Polymer)
Instant Detailer
Scratch Remover (Meguiers Scratch X)
Bug & Tar Remover (Spray, Gel, Liquid???)
Adhesive Remover (Just in case I decide to debadge)
Swirl Mark & Water Spot Remover

Wheels & Tires
Wheel & Tire Cleaner & Protector

Interior
Glass Cleaner (Stoners invisible glass)
Carpet Cleaner
Upholstery Cleaner
Interior Cleaner & Protector for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Leather etc.
Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (Lexol)

Engine
Engine Bay Detailing, Cleaning, Protecting Products

Tools & Equipments
Wash Mitt
Wheel brush
Tire brush
Soft Bristle Wash Brush
Wash & Drying Towels (Micro fiber or Terry)
Wax Towel
California Water Blade
Duster

sorry for the long post
Old 01-24-2005, 04:31 PM
shoulda got a 6 speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zaino makes a product for just about everything u mentioned up there and they are second to none
Old 01-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Instructor

NOTHING BUT MEGUIRES!!! only meguires producst for me!!!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

thanks guys... i understand thats how i am too... i like to use only one brand of product to make it easier to buy... but can anyone list out the things i listed.. i have no idea of what to get.. there is just to many kinda of products...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

im trying to base the products that i use by the popularity of it used by you a-zine members... so can anyone volunteer to tell me ??? i know its a long list but i would greatly appreciate it..
Old 01-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01TLRYDER
nice Mequires wax here as well, although I use Mother's clay bar.

That's a nice list you got there, guna take you forever to do all that at one time.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
Hi guys.. name is Jay if you guys dont know me but i mostly post in tl and tsx forums... well its been snowing here and i havent had school because of the snow storm in the northeast... so i browsed through A-ZINE.com and read someone's post and gave me an idea to compile this list of car care products just for people like me that never detailed their car before.. just to give us knowledge of what products to use and how to use it...

ever since i've own my first car i never detailed my car before and have no idea how or the proper way.. after reading some post that i search for i now have an idea and would like to get into this kind of thing... i use to own a tsx which my cousin damage and now looking into a tl... these are nice cars and i would like to detail my own car instead of taking it to a shop and have them do it.. so i compiled this list.. just let me know what you use, what you suggest i use for a beginner or professional doesnt matter.. but i would like to use high quality products.. and if im missing anything on my list please feel free to add to it.. this is just a list of things i came up with in 20 minutes.. thanks alot... greatly appreciate it...

heres the list:

Exterior
Wash Soap (Wax Safe)
Clay Kit
Wax/Sealant (Synthetic Polymer)
Instant Detailer
Scratch Remover (Meguiers Scratch X)
Bug & Tar Remover (Spray, Gel, Liquid???)
Adhesive Remover (Just in case I decide to debadge)
Swirl Mark & Water Spot Remover

Wheels & Tires
Wheel & Tire Cleaner & Protector

Interior
Glass Cleaner (Stoners invisible glass)
Carpet Cleaner
Upholstery Cleaner
Interior Cleaner & Protector for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Leather etc.
Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (Lexol)

Engine

Tools & Equipments
Wash Mitt
Wheel brush
Tire brush
Soft Bristle Wash Brush
Wash & Drying Towels (Micro fiber or Terry)
Wax Towel
California Water Blade
Duster

sorry for the long post

since no one is really jumping in on this one, i'll take a shot at it for you.

for exterior you have to ask yourself "how much is too much" how much are you willing to invest? you can stock up on wal-mart items or you can step up to "high end " online products.

for washing i manily use Einszettes Perls or Four Star Auto wash. However Meguires Gold Class works fine.

For clay you cant go wrong with Clay Magic. You can find it at any Auto Zone. Mothers also makes a very friendly clay. Just be sure its made in Japan as they are much softer and less likely to scuff.

For waxes and sealants I prefer the twins, Klasse AIO and Klasse SG. I like to top them with "PUPP" or Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. I am also a big Zanio fan and have had great results with almost everything I've tried from them. But for me nothing beats the shine and slickness of the twins topped with PUPP. If you want to go with a carnuba based wax you may want to try P21S/S100, Pinnalce, Collinites #845 Insulator wax. There are too many to list in that catagory.

For detail spray I like Einszettes Lackfinish, Zanio Z6, Four Star Shine Enhancer

For scratch remover stay away from Scratch X. Its only a cheap filler and your swirls and scratches will return when it wears off. My advice is to invest in a Porter Cable 7336/7424 and a nice supply of pads. This will be the most used item in your stash.
For polishes I prefer the entire Einszettes line of polishes. Meguries #80 is a must have also.

Wheels and tires I use Eagle One A 2 Z., P21S Tire and Wheel gel, good old soap and water. For dressing I like Einszettes Teifenflager, 303 Aero Space Protectant and Stoners Trim Shine for under the wheel wells.

Interior I like anything from Einszettes. Cockpit Premium, Schlibenklar(windows), Gummiphledge(trim) and Stoners Glass cleaner and Castle glass cleaner.

Leather is simple, Lexol all the way.

Engine bays I like P21S Total Auto Wash/S100. Dilute it 10:1 with distilled water. Simple Green also works well but should be dilluted too.

For wash mitts I have Microfiber, Austrailian Sheep skin and Chennile and a boars hair brush.
Two wash buckets, one for suds and one for rinsing.
Tire brush from Target

For drying I have an Echo gas powered leaf blower and then I use Microfiber Waffle Weave towles to blot dry the remaining water.
Microfiber soft towles for buffing, detail spraying and just ingeneral useage.

And a nice little stool with wheels and an adjustable seat is a must have.

I hope that helps you out a little.

Mark
Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

Originally Posted by TSXtc
since no one is really jumping in on this one, i'll take a shot at it for you.

for exterior you have to ask yourself "how much is too much" how much are you willing to invest? you can stock up on wal-mart items or you can step up to "high end " online products.

for washing i manily use Einszettes Perls or Four Star Auto wash. However Meguires Gold Class works fine.

For clay you cant go wrong with Clay Magic. You can find it at any Auto Zone. Mothers also makes a very friendly clay. Just be sure its made in Japan as they are much softer and less likely to scuff.

For waxes and sealants I prefer the twins, Klasse AIO and Klasse SG. I like to top them with "PUPP" or Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. I am also a big Zanio fan and have had great results with almost everything I've tried from them. But for me nothing beats the shine and slickness of the twins topped with PUPP. If you want to go with a carnuba based wax you may want to try P21S/S100, Pinnalce, Collinites #845 Insulator wax. There are too many to list in that catagory.

For detail spray I like Einszettes Lackfinish, Zanio Z6, Four Star Shine Enhancer

For scratch remover stay away from Scratch X. Its only a cheap filler and your swirls and scratches will return when it wears off. My advice is to invest in a Porter Cable 7336/7424 and a nice supply of pads. This will be the most used item in your stash.
For polishes I prefer the entire Einszettes line of polishes. Meguries #80 is a must have also.

Wheels and tires I use Eagle One A 2 Z., P21S Tire and Wheel gel, good old soap and water. For dressing I like Einszettes Teifenflager, 303 Aero Space Protectant and Stoners Trim Shine for under the wheel wells.

Interior I like anything from Einszettes. Cockpit Premium, Schlibenklar(windows), Gummiphledge(trim) and Stoners Glass cleaner and Castle glass cleaner.

Leather is simple, Lexol all the way.

Engine bays I like P21S Total Auto Wash/S100. Dilute it 10:1 with distilled water. Simple Green also works well but should be dilluted too.

For wash mitts I have Microfiber, Austrailian Sheep skin and Chennile and a boars hair brush.
Two wash buckets, one for suds and one for rinsing.
Tire brush from Target

For drying I have an Echo gas powered leaf blower and then I use Microfiber Waffle Weave towles to blot dry the remaining water.
Microfiber soft towles for buffing, detail spraying and just ingeneral useage.

And a nice little stool with wheels and an adjustable seat is a must have.

I hope that helps you out a little.

Mark
thanks alot pal.. first to complete this list.. waiting for some more replys before i go out and purchase any of these products.. lol and i like the leaf blower idea lol heheh cool

question how would a buffer alone remove scratches???
Old 01-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Banned

Exterior
Wash Soap (Wax Safe) - Meguairs Gold Class
Clay Kit - Clay Magic (red for worse conditions, blue for more fine cut)
Wax/Sealant (Synthetic Polymer) - Exotic Super Gloss or Meguairs Premium Paint Protection
Instant Detailer - Meguairs Instant Detailer
Scratch Remover (Meguiers Scratch X) - I only use a buffer to remove scratches, for that I use Meguairs- 84
Bug & Tar Remover (Spray, Gel, Liquid???) - Just soap and water for bugs, and Protective Coating Remover for the tar
Adhesive Remover (Just in case I decide to debadge) - I used a heat gun and some PCR (protective coating remover)
Swirl Mark & Water Spot Remover - Swirls..numerous different applications, I suggest if you're a rookie to NOT attempt this yourself, as you can do more harm than good.

Wheels & Tires
Wheel & Tire Cleaner & Protector - Soap and Water

Interior
Glass Cleaner (Stoners invisible glass) - Any glass cleaner for me
Carpet Cleaner - Water and Carpet Cleaner Auto Magic
Upholstery Cleaner - Auto Magic I-2 (interior vinyl cleaner)
Interior Cleaner & Protector for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Leather etc. - Meguairs-40, or 303 Aerospace
Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (Lexol)- Lexol, and Lexol only

Engine
Engine Bay Detailing, Cleaning, Protecting Products - Degreaser, cover all important parts, spray gently, then air dry, and coat with M-40.

Tools & Equipments
Wash Mitt - Lambwool
Wheel brush - Never had to use one
Tire brush - Never had to use one
Soft Bristle Wash Brush - Never had to use one
Wash & Drying Towels (Micro fiber or Terry) - Terry
Wax Towel - Microfiber
California Water Blade - Yes
Duster- No

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else on here. I've been in the car care industry for over 10 years.

Heres a few pics of my ride, using all the above products-

Old 01-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Exterior
Wash Soap (Wax Safe)..... Armour All, been using it since day one, lol
Clay Kit..... Meguiars
Wax/Sealant (Synthetic Polymer)..... Fourstar, Blackfire, Wolfgang, NXt on occasion
Instant Detailer...... Clearkote Quikshine or Fourstar
Scratch Remover (Meguiers Scratch X).... None
Bug & Tar Remover (Spray, Gel, Liquid???).... Naturalizer
Adhesive Remover (Just in case I decide to debadge).... Naturalizer
Swirl Mark & Water Spot Remover...... Megs 80, 84, Fourstar, 3M SMR's.

Wheels & Tires
Wheel & Tire Cleaner & Protector..... "No Clean"

Interior
Glass Cleaner.... Stoners invisible glass
Carpet Cleaner.... Tough Stuff or Castrol Super Clean (Diluted)
Upholstery Cleaner... Castrol
Interior Cleaner & Protector for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Leather etc.... Fourstar
Leather Cleaner & Conditioner....Turtle Wax ! Leather cleaner

Engine

Tools & Equipments
Wash Mitt... Australian sheepskin washmit
Wheel brush... Cheapo
Tire brush... Cheapo
Soft Bristle Wash Brush... Split nylon fiber
Wash & Drying Towels (Micro fiber or Terry).....Exceldetail of course!
Wax Towel.... Exceldetail of course!
California Water Blade....No way !!
Duster
Old 01-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
thanks alot pal.. first to complete this list.. waiting for some more replys before i go out and purchase any of these products.. lol and i like the leaf blower idea lol heheh cool

question how would a buffer alone remove scratches???

the leaf blower works wonders. first i dry the car with water by letting it trickle out of the hose and sheet off. then i use the blower to force the water out of the mirrors and the door jams and to remove any left over water on the panels. this technique leaves me with a car that is about 95% dry in half the time. then i use a waffle weave microfiber to "blot" dry the remaining areas.

a buffer alone is useless without the correct polishes and assortment of quality pads. for pads i've tried many but prefer Lake Country pads. their color chart is as follows: yellow=heavy cutting, orange=medium cutting, white=lightest cutting, and black=final or wax applications. for polishes i only use Einszettes. They have many to choose from depending on your specific situation and cutting power needed. i have also had luck with Meguires #80 and 3M SMR, although the Einszettes line is the simplest to use providing the best results for me.

invest in a Porter Cable 7336 and some quality pads and it will open your eyes to an opticallly perfect paint finish. dont worry about never using one before. they are so simple to use its not even funny. if you dont feel confident you can do what i did when i got into it and buy an old trunk lid from a junk yard. i tested everything on that lid before it went on our cars. i even experimented with damaging the lid intentionaly with the PC and the most abrasive polish and i just couldnt do it. the PC is almost fool proof. you'd have to step up to a rotary buffer before you could damage your paint. the PC just doesnt produce enough heat or pressure to harm the finish. dont let anyone talk you out of getting one. they are so simple to use and they are fun at the same time.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
TL

Lots of good information here guys. Lots of good products for you on the market.

I personally like Meguiars body shop products. These are the light tan bottles you find in the stores. I find that the Gold Class and Red bottle line doesn't work as well or last as long in terms of protection. 83, 82 and 9 is what I like.

P21S jar wax is also a great product for that SHOW CAR look. But it doesn't last that long, about 2-4 weeks depending on the weather and how often the automobile is used. Tip: to save a little bit of money, go to your local Harley dealer and pickup a jar of S100, it's the same product except $10.00 or more cheaper!!

In terms of other products, I also use and sell Poorboys World, Clearkote and ProtectAll products.

If you live in a community or area where use of water to wash cars is frowned upon or prohibited, I use ProtectAll Quick and Easy wash using a 2 bucket method. The best thing about Quick and Easy wash is that it doesn't require you to rinse down your vehicle before you soap it. Using a 2 bucket method, one bucket contains the Quick and Easy wash w/water and the other bucket is straight water. Dunk the wash mitt into the soap solution and wipe a panel of your car down with it, then wipe off with a dry towel. Take your dirty wash mitt and dunk it into the straight water bucket and rinse it out. You will see how dirty the straight water gets. This prevents you from putting dirt into the soap solution.

Quick and Easy wash is marketed to the RV world where washing an RV in parks is prohibited. But professional detailers around the country use it as a primary means to wash an automobile especially in business parking lots.

Here are the steps I use to detail an automobile.

-Step 1: Wash car with QEW or normally with car wash soap and water. I use a microfiber wash mitt.
-Step 2: Dry the car. I use waffle weave drying towels.
-Step 3: Assess the car and figure out if there are any swirl marks or light scratches.
-Step 4: If there are some swirl marks and scratches throughout the vehicle, I will apply and buff Super Swirl Remover 1, 2, 2.5, or 3. 1 being the mildest and 3 being the most abrasive in removing swirls. I rarely use 3. I usually start off with 1 or 2 and if the swirls don't get removed, I step up to 2.5 which usually get the job done.
-Step 5: After buffing and removing swirl marks i'll apply Polish w/Carnauba which cleans and reveals that bright clear color out of the car
-Step 6: I'll either apply EX wax or Natty's paste wax to protect and seal the work I just did.

-Step 7: which can be done anytime would be to use Spray and Wipe to clean and quick detail a car. Quickshine from Clearkote would also do an equal job.

I can cover the interior in another post. This is pretty long. I carry all of the stuff mentioned, except for the S100 and Meguiars, but you can get that at any store.

Erik
www.reflectivedetails.com

Last edited by reflective; 01-27-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

good info guys... i appreciate it... keep them coming
Old 02-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Katana Wins!

Damn nice job on that. Sweet ride too.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
Damn nice job on that. Sweet ride too.

thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

dam nice... i was planing to bump this post to get more input.. i started buying some stuff and i will post pics of my first detail when i have the chance thanks alot...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Homeless

I used to use Meguiars Gold Class(for years since it came out), but after using Liquid Glass, there is just no comparison, not even close. Polishes like Zaino and LG give shine like no other.

Liquid Glass is fairly cheap & easier to apply/remove than wax. Doesn't leave nearly the amount of residue that regular waxes do.

For tar removal, bugs, etc...Spray Nine used sparingly. Stuff takes off just about any oil-based product.

Interior comes out OK with Lexol.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

I've always used Meguiars products and have been very happy with them. About a year ago I got the Meguiars Centenial collection. It costs $360.00 and comes with:

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
Quik Clay Detailing System
ScratchX
Deep Crystal System Polish
Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax
Quik Wax
Quik Detailer
Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner
Gold Class All Metal Restorer
Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray
Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner
Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner
Heavy Duty Carpet & Interior Cleaner
Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam Protectant
Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant
PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish
Car Odor Eliminator
Meguiar's Adult Cap
Reusable Detailing Swab Kit
Detailing Brushes
Hi-pile 100% Cotton Towels
Ultimate Wipe
WDAV99-B Set of 3 Polishing Pads
Ultimate Bonnet
Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher

I haven't done anything to the TL yet (only had it for a week), but I've done my A4 dozens of times and the results are spectacular.