Tar Removal, need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tar Removal, need help asap!

Hey guys,

I really need some help. I have a 2007 Acura TSX. Today, while going to work, I unfortunately got stuck going down a road where they were doing pot hole repairs. In the process, I managed to get pieces of tar stuck on my rims. When I got to work, I took my finger and wiped the chunks off (looked like pebble rocks), but it left some black residue that didn't want to come off with my finger. I also have the little pebbles stuck inside my rim (multi spoke rim) and I can't reach them with my hand through the spokes. Is there any kind of a spray that I could use to remove them? I was hoping to spray something on my rim and inside my rim, follwed up by a pressure washer. Any suggestions? Also, will this stuff still be removable later on tonight? I can't go wash it off right now, but I am worried about it. Also, I am sure it is all over the bottom of my car. I am assuming that this is not a big deal? If someone could offer some suggestions, that would be great!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro

Anyone??!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Stoner Tarminator and should be available locally . . .
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor

ditto. Tarminator works wonders. spray it on, let it sit for 30-60 seconds on tough spots and junk will wipe right off.

if you're in a hurry, WD40 will also work well. just be sure to clean and protect the areas after treating with either product.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paradigm
if you're in a hurry, WD40 will also work well. just be sure to clean and protect the areas after treating with either product.
I actually find the WD-40 a little more pallitable.....
Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Pro

Can I spray the Tarminator onto my rim, let it sit, then hose it off? The problem that I am having is that I can't really gain access to some of the tar on the inside of the rim. It would require me to take off the tire, which I would rather not do. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:32 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The reasoning for the use of solvents for the removal of bituminous asphalt is that it dissolves it as a means of removal, as opposed to rubbing it, tar is waterproof so water alone will not remove it (although warm water will soften it). Asphalt is very sticky and its presence on your paint means that harder particulate matter (dirt/grit) has also stuck to it. By agitating or rubbing the dirt/grit that is contained with the bituminous asphalt will cause surface marring or possibly scratching, dissolution alleviates any potential surface damage.

A safe solvent that does not contain any harmful components (heptanes or xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents (Stoner™ Tarminator or New Car Prep – http;//www.autoint.com) that simply emulsifies and dissolves the bituminous asphalt / tar /grease when you spray it directly on the paint film surface It is important not to leave a solvent based chemical on the paint finish longer than is necessary. Simply apply to the affected area, allow sufficient dwell time, and carefully wipe off, you may have to apply it three or four times allowing plenty of "dwell time" between applications.
This non-scratch, very flexible, E-Z Detail Brush is 18 inches long, 4-1/2 inches in diameter and is super-soft with Nylex bristles, a material that combines the softness of a natural bristle with the strength of nylon. There's a vinyl tip bonded to the top of the brush and a knuckle guard on the handle but the most impressive feature of this brush is the flexible, inner core. This vinyl-coated wire core will bend in every imaginable direction which allows the brush to get into areas where few other brushes can reach. http://www.properautocare.com/ezdetailbrush.html