T.F.P. Polymer Sealant good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T.F.P. Polymer Sealant good or bad?

hey guys my paint is starting to go to serious shit so my dad got me this "T.F.P. Total Finish Protection Polymer Sealant". i looked it up on youtube and this guy pours fucking acid on paint thats been waxed with this stuff and it rolls right off and burns the floor....
anybody know what it is? should i use it? if yes, how? THANKS!!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 AM
The Detailer

Sounds pretty bogus to me, especially considering a Google search on them returns nothing.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Based on a Google search, TFP seems to have hit its peak around 2005 and was mostly sold online at their website (their website domain is now for sale) and at car shows. If the bottle is relatively new and was properly stored, why not give it a shot? Otherwise, I would spend $30 and buy a bottle of FS UPP, or if you want to spend less, some Meguiar's NXT 2.0

The gimmick with acid reminds me of the Auri TV infomercial from the 80s.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by micvog
Based on a Google search, TFP seems to have hit its peak around 2005 and was mostly sold online at their website (their website domain is now for sale) and at car shows. If the bottle is relatively new and was properly stored, why not give it a shot? Otherwise, I would spend $30 and buy a bottle of FS UPP, or if you want to spend less, some Meguiar's NXT 2.0

The gimmick with acid reminds me of the Auri TV infomercial from the 80s.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Instructor

i asked a "car wash guru" at a local dealership and he said that certain car companies like lexus, audi, bmw and benz used to have this as an option when they bought the car and it would protect the paint for a good year with 1 application. but he said he thinks the company went out of business cause they charged too much money for the product even though it its well worth it. he said there was also a polish part of the wax that was for scratches then you would apply the polymer that i have. but when i left i didnt ask him what i should replace the polish with! any ideas? thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 AM
The Detailer

I'm not really familiar with the actual product itself but I can recommend what us other detailers use such as the PC/UDM and some polishes like Meguiar's M205 or Optimum Polish.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true, it probaly isn't.

But then if a "car wash guru" recommends it, plus and you can pour f***ing acid on it without harm to the surface I would check it out
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
If it sounds too good to be true, it probaly isn't.

But then if a "car wash guru" recommends it, plus and you can pour f***ing acid on it without harm to the surface I would check it out
Oh dang........
Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
One of the things I like about detailing is that bogus products are usually exposed pretty quickly. Not all of them are but most of them. The old "acid test" is pretty simple high school chemistry. The "acid" used on the car, usually dilute Hydrochloric Acid (HCl), is very mild and will not harm a protected paint finish. The guy with the British or Australian voice simply tosses some strips of magnesium into the acid solution and WOW!!! The magnesium starts to bubble, fizz, and make that sizzling sound while the paint appears to suffer no ill effects. Very effective to the layman but just another marketing gimmick.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
One of the things I like about detailing is that bogus products are usually exposed pretty quickly. Not all of them are but most of them. The old "acid test" is pretty simple high school chemistry. The "acid" used on the car, usually dilute Hydrochloric Acid (HCl), is very mild and will not harm a protected paint finish. The guy with the British or Australian voice simply tosses some strips of magnesium into the acid solution and WOW!!! The magnesium starts to bubble, fizz, and make that sizzling sound while the paint appears to suffer no ill effects. Very effective to the layman but just another marketing gimmick.
Yep yep, just taking advantage of the ignorant people out there watching the television set.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
A "car wash guru" at a local dealership " is usually the same guy that swirls your car during a wash and holgrams the hell out of it fixing it up with a rotary buffer.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
A "car wash guru" at a local dealership " is usually the same guy that swirls your car during a wash and holgrams the hell out of it fixing it up with a rotary buffer.
On another note, anyone who calls themselves a "car wash guru" is definitely not that. Actually, us professional detailers never have this sort of mentality and if there are some who have this mentality, I seriously wouldn't consider them professional detailers by any means, even if they are really good at what they do. It really just omits the word "professional" in the term "professional detailer".