Which swirl remover/polish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which swirl remover/polish?

Hi there - I think I finally found some time this upcoming weekend to detail my '06 black TL. I was intent on buying the Wolfgang series of clay/polish/wax, etc. but never got around to it and now can't wait for the shipping. So - I'm mercy to what the local Pep Boys is selling. I know they have NXT for the wax and I'll just get the Megs clay, etc. but what about the polish/swirl remover? Since I'll be claying - I don't need a paint cleaner, correct? And if polish is what I want - do I go with Megs ScratchX, Megs Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 (#9), Megs Showcar Glaze #7 (I think), or Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2). I'll be doing all this by hand..........again - my car is new and black. I have minor swirl marks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Claying removes imbedded contaminants from the surface. Paint/pre wax cleaners are considered a chemical polish that will remove oxidation and give a surface gloss. A polish by definition will contain abrasives and used to remove surface blemishes such as swiirls and minor scratches as well as rejuvenate paint. Both will provide a clean surface to which a sealant/wax can bond to.

As far as product choice, I'm gonna go out on a limb. Try Duragloss. It's been getting very favorable reviews on detailing forums. The only product I've used thus far is AW and I am very impressed. They carry an entire line of car care products and the best part about it is it's no more expensive than Megs or Mothers. DG 671 for swirls, TPP 105 or CCP 111 as a sealant/wax. Use AW as a QD and you're set. This is a truly exceptional value for an OTC product.

Hopefully some of the other guys will have other options and recommendations. Have fun detailing.....
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion - what about the Duragloss 101? Is that a good product to use in between claying and waxing with the NXT?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go with 101, theres no need to wax afterwards. But there are better choices also. Theres 652 Pre Cleaner which is an abrasive polish used for removing swirls obviously. 671 SMR which also contains abrasives as well as sealant protection. Then theres the new Pink Buffing Gel, (not yet marketed by Duragloss) but is for sale at exceldetail.com. I would recommend you take your time, dont resort to something you may not be hapy with for the simple fact you have time. It only leads to unsatisfactory results, and a waste of time.