Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 03:04 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet shinny car.

I just put my friends civic through the process - clay bar
- liquid glass
- and NXT gen

I am currently awaiting the arrival of my PorterCable 7424. The car will look, at least, ten times better when I get to attack it with my PC, but for now I think the shine isn't too bad.......What do you think?

Old 06-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I just put my friends civic through the process - clay bar
- liquid glass
- and NXT gen

I am currently awaiting the arrival of my PorterCable 7424. The car will look, at least, ten times better when I get to attack it with my PC, but for now I think the shine isn't too bad.......What do you think?

That's a pretty dull surface!!! J/K pat...that looks awesome. Good job on removing all the imperfections...do you have a before the polish/wax pic???
Old 06-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Not of the roof.. sorry.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You put NXT on after liquid glass? Arn't they both car waxes.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice shine....you washed your friends car? wanna do mine too!?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:39 PM

the liquid glass is not a Wax it's a really high quality polish...that is durable as well... I don't want to contradict my self I know that waxes usually bring the durability factor to the finish but this Liquid glass does it without wax....It's endorced by the corvette club and I know a few "self proclaimed experts" that only use liquid wax and no other products... it actually garentees against uv damage and oxidation if applied twice a year..

I'm starting a few buisinesses in the next two years... one being a detailing franchise...ergo I offered to clean my buddies civic...plus he's like a brother to me... an I clean my Mom's van too, what goes around comes around.. And Ya, if you're up from Staten Island stop by, if it's a nice day, who knows - lol

here are a couple pics of the products I just got in.. some are old (armor all - is a no-no, i know) Please keep in mind the most products were not used on the civic in the pic. I haven't gotten me PorterCable polisher, so there is no point to use the Meguiars DACP (DualActionCleanerPolish) until my porter arrives....

Old 06-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Drifting

wow residual, looks like an auto parts cleaning section store, pretty impressive. This porter cable you keep talking about, is that an orbital buffer? What is so special about it? Also last week i bought the NXT, no where on the bottle does it say yae or nae to using a buffer, hope its ok to use one cause thats what i did, came out absolutly beautiful. what is the liquid glass your talking about?, who makes it? thanks residual!!
Old 06-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Perfect and Greek

here is a pic of mequiars deep crystal polish #2 and a coat of NXT.

a little cloudy out so shine is not prominent...
i will try to get better pics if the weather allows...

Old 06-06-2004, 08:30 PM

Liquid Glass is actually the name of the company..the tin of liquid glass is on the top left shelf in the 2nd pic... in the brown tin, is smells like peppermint.. lol... here is a link to the website..great product..

http://www.liquidglass.com/lgpolish.htm

And the PorterCable 7424 is the achine for buffing/polishing and waxing the car.... it is not a rotary, which if used incorrectly could ruin the paint.. it is an orbital but probably the best one out there. Meguiars gets porter to make a "Meguiars version" of the porter.. it costs about 250us meanwhile you can pick up the same thing on the Autotopia site for 129.00 and 159 with alll the foam pads and the plastic backing...

check out the autopia site and there is a link on the top of the site saying "LEARN" click on that.. there is a article titled the "Porper way to use a portercable 7424" there is some of the best before and after pics I have ever seen!!!! trust me guys it is worth the time to check it out.. I was speachless, and that's saying alot if you know me...
Old 06-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Drifting

RF,

I always thought liquid glass was a polmyer wax such as NXT and Zaino. Like using it as a finishing step. NXT contains a mild cleaner which I thought would actually remove some of the liquid glass.

BTW, your pic looks great. Do you have more pics besides the roof?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 AM

it actually says this on the tin of Liquid Wax -

"With a formula that contains no wax, this polish produces a superb, high-gloss protective finish on any non-porous surface in one simple tep without hard rubbing or buffing"

a few buddies of mine swear by it so I picked some up and haven't had a complaint yet except the price.. 36bucks for the tin (canadian)...I think I am going to look into picking up a gallon in a few weeks, much cheaper if you get the larger size.. just depends if you will stick with the product for that long.. and I feel confident I will be using it on cars all summer..so it'll be worth the cost..
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by vtec11
RF,

BTW, your pic looks great. Do you have more pics besides the roof?

you want to see a F*%KING CRAZY PICTURE???? hard to figure out what you're looking at ... but it'll hit ya.....here goes..

You asked for it!! FOR THOES OF YOU THAT DON'T SEE THE SEAM IN THE DOOR, LOOK ON THE RIGHT....DAMN!!!!! you know you like that... can't see any customers complaining with these kinds of results...even though they do take time it's obviously worth it.....
Old 06-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Drifting

wow, that's pretty amazing. You got more pics? like of the whole car?

BTW, i just bought NXT and meguirs #2 Deep Crystal polish yesterday. Should I return the #2 and buy a better polish? My car is SSM so i don't know how much of a difference it will make.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Perfect and Greek

my goodness, is that a mirror????
Old 06-07-2004, 09:35 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, Meguiars is a really high quality product (IMO) and you shouldn't feel like it is not a quality product.. I have 2 bottles of the #2 Deep Crystal polish.. I now use liquid Glass but the difference in cost is about 25 bucks a bottle so there some truth to the saying "you get what you pay for". I wouldn't expect do get the results of the 2nd pic by just using #2 and NXT. The first car is basically just a wash (NXT), then claybarred, then liquid glass, and finally NXT wax..

I didn't work too hard to get the results in the first pic..plus it was my friends car and it was a freebie for him.. I would almost expect a shine of that quality from any dark colour with a good polish and wax..I got that kind of shine out of the hood of my mom's maroon Winstar!! it just takes a little TLC ..

now the 2nd pic is another story alltogether..that'll take experience, the right tools, the right product and time - time - time.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by hellasmania
my goodness, is that a mirror????

That's what I thought!!! then I saw a door seam and was like

I love showing that pic to someone while watching their face.. their face tells it all ... first, so what leaves and a bike....then, why would you take a pic of a bike.....then, like a blind-sided quarterback, WHAM ... HOLY $H!t - that's a car door!!! damn!!!

The car looks chromed.. you'll have someone run into your car like a bird into a cleaned window... " I didn't even see it, just a reflection of my car getting closer and closer" lol
Old 06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Drifting

now the 2nd pic is another story alltogether..that'll take experience, the right tools, the right product and time - time - time.
RF,

What products did you use for the 2nd pic ?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 PM

I think the second pic was a full out high speed polish with meguiars DACP #83 (the 1 gallon jug in the pic), then Meguiars #82 swirl free polish, and a couple of coats of Meguiars NXT.

RF,
What products did you use for the 2nd pic?
Sorry it wasn't me though.. I actually found this pic on autotopia . But there has been multiple discussions on the topic of order of products and product selection.. the final wax tends to varry from detailer to detailer, but it is just a protective layer for your car.. The real "backbone" to a professional spiderwebb free/ hologram free/ swirl free/ and scratch free (to a point - depending on thickness of clearcoat and depth of the scratch vs. the expected lifespan of the paint) finish is the Meguiars#83 DACP...this product with an orbital and the proper foam pads (the faom pads have a certian density to each color, starting with the toughest and working your way to the softests). And the the swirl free polish #82 will finsh polishing the car to flawless "way better than show room" appearance.. now the wax is personal preference, and can depend on the ammount of time between washes and the weathering the car akes daily(ie. parked in a garage at home and at work will rarely need a wax compared to a car parked outside all night and in the sun all day) obviously..
Old 06-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Team Inspire Canada

Damm Pat.....when we spoke i had no idea of the collection you have going.....I would pay for my car to look like glass..
Old 06-08-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I am currently awaiting the arrival of my PorterCable 7424. The car will look, at least, ten times better when I get to attack it with my PC
hey residual...

lemme know once you've tried your PC! i'm a GTA'er as well and would love to check out the results... i might even be your first (exterior) detailing customer! can't afford to spend that much money on ordering one for myself at the moment, so i'll wait and check out the results...
Old 06-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Liquid Glass is actually the name of the company..the tin of liquid glass is on the top left shelf in the 2nd pic... in the brown tin, is smells like peppermint.. lol... here is a link to the website..great product..

http://www.liquidglass.com/lgpolish.htm

And the PorterCable 7424 is the achine for buffing/polishing and waxing the car.... it is not a rotary, which if used incorrectly could ruin the paint.. it is an orbital but probably the best one out there. Meguiars gets porter to make a "Meguiars version" of the porter.. it costs about 250us meanwhile you can pick up the same thing on the Autotopia site for 129.00 and 159 with alll the foam pads and the plastic backing...

check out the autopia site and there is a link on the top of the site saying "LEARN" click on that.. there is a article titled the "Porper way to use a portercable 7424" there is some of the best before and after pics I have ever seen!!!! trust me guys it is worth the time to check it out.. I was speachless, and that's saying alot if you know me...
Pat,

I used L/G for YEARS and had nothing but praise. I guess you found a sweet spot by using it with NXT on darker colors, coz I tried using it by itself on black and it just wouldn't work. To bring out the shine even more on my SSM TL-S, I buffed it with may old B&D 7" orbital polisher using a 6" Simoniz Microfiber pad and wetting areas with Meguiar's QD. Who 'sez silver can't shine like a mirror??