So I cleaned up the TL-S a bit today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So I cleaned up the TL-S a bit today...

2007 Acura TL Type S in Nighthawk Black Pearl

OK, so I'm usually posting up work I've done on everybody else's vehicles. I decided to clean MY car up and test out some new products. I'll keep this post a bit more brief than usual.

I still haven't machine polished my car for the spring...it's been since last fall.

I provided a few simple thoughts on some of the new products I tried today, and will get into more details and product reviews in the future.

Wash with Chemical Guys Wash & Clear via foam gun to strip existing wax.

Wash with Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild car wash. It was my first trial with this wash and I absolutely loved the stuff! Plenty of lubricity, smelled great, and didn't leave any residue. Very smooth and clean finish!

Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite pre-wax cleaner. This further cleaned the surface, and prepped it for waxing. This is a great product to work as a hand polish after washing, or claying, or just to give it an extra shine when waxing.

Waxed with Dodo Juice Supernatural carnauba wax. It's definitely not the least expensive wax on the market, but it's an unbelievable wax! Application and removal is super easy. Gloss, depth, and wetness is simply amazing.

Engine bay cleaned with P21S Total Auto Wash, and dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant

Wheels cleaned with P21S Wheel Gel
Tires dressed with Optimum Opti-Bond tire gel. Great stuff, matte finish.
Wheel wells dressed with Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black

Exhaust tips cleaned with Optimum Metal Polish

OK, now onto some photos.

Got sound? Rainbow Vanadium sub, Rainbow Germanium comps, DLS Ultimate A7 amp, RF 360.2 processor

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a MIRROR.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Todd, your NHBP owns my FBP! That's really disgusting how much gloss and depth your car has, haha.

I see you used Dodo SN but have you tried Rubbish Boys Original Edition?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by Denzil
Wow Todd, your NHBP owns my FBP! That's really disgusting how much gloss and depth your car has, haha.

I see you used Dodo SN but have you tried Rubbish Boys Original Edition?
Thanks Denzil. I should be able to kick it up a notch when I finally get time to actually polish it first! Not too shabby for just coming out of a brutal winter, and applying a pre-wax cleaner and wax!

No, haven't tried RB...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSC17
Thanks Denzil. I should be able to kick it up a notch when I finally get time to actually polish it first! Not too shabby for just coming out of a brutal winter, and applying a pre-wax cleaner and wax!

No, haven't tried RB...
Hey Todd,

Wow, your TL-S is unreal! Anyway, where did you purchase your Dodo wax from? I am seriously thinking about ordering some and giving it a try. I've heard nothing but good stuff about that wax.

Also, how would you compare the shine of the Dodo stuff that you used to Fourstars UPP?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Pro

Holy Sheet!

I didn't realize that stuff was $199! That's a little out of my budget right now, LOL. However, the shine is superb - I guess it should be for that kind of money.

Also, Todd, your car always looks flawless, I'm sure that you could probably achieve the same results with something like Meguiars NXT 2.0 OTC product.

Lastly, is there any decent Dodo Juice wax that doesn't cost $200?

How does it compare to things like Fourstar UPP, Optimum, etc...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:34 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Holy Sheet!

I didn't realize that stuff was $199! That's a little out of my budget right now, LOL. However, the shine is superb - I guess it should be for that kind of money.

Also, Todd, your car always looks flawless, I'm sure that you could probably achieve the same results with something like Meguiars NXT 2.0 OTC product.

Thanks, but I probably couldn't make the OTC stuff look as good.

I can't compare to Fourstar, as I've never used it.

Most of the Dodo waxes are in the $70 range, and are extremely good waxes as well.

I really like Optimum Car Wax, and use it regularly on my personal cars most of the time. Super easy to use, great durability, and only $15.

The boutique waxes though like Dodo, P21S, Pinnacle Souveran...they take it to a whole new level when you want that extra depth and gloss.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Pro

Holy Sheet!

Ok, I'm an idiot, I didn't realize that you could order a smaller sample of it, LOL. Anyway, which Dodo wax would I want to use on my car - 2007 Carbon Gray Pearl Acura TSX?

Lastly, I just recently applied Fourstar UPP. Would I want to strip that prior to putting the Dodo on?

ALso, how long will I get protection wise with the Dodo stuff?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

For your color, you'd probably want the Light Fantastic for the soft wax, or Diamond White in a hard wax.

Anytime you want to try different waxes you should strip the other off. If you don't have a product like the Wash & Clear, then just do a Dawn wash. With a stripped and clean surface you can then get a better comparison.

Durability is yet to be determined, but my experience with most boutique waxes says that you could probably expect 3 or 4 weeks. They look stunning, but don't last as long. But if you enjoy putting on a fresh coat of wax and enjoying how it looks, then it's not that big of a deal IMO.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Pro

For your color, you'd probably want the Light Fantastic for the soft wax, or Diamond White in a hard wax.

Anytime you want to try different waxes you should strip the other off. If you don't have a product like the Wash & Clear, then just do a Dawn wash. With a stripped and clean surface you can then get a better comparison.

Durability is yet to be determined, but my experience with most boutique waxes says that you could probably expect 3 or 4 weeks. They look stunning, but don't last as long. But if you enjoy putting on a fresh coat of wax and enjoying how it looks, then it's not that big of a deal IMO.
Ok, thanks, Todd! From the comparisson chart, I was thinking more like the Blue Velvet stuff, but I'll take your advice. I enjoy waxing my car, so I thought it might be fun to give it a try...I like experimenting with all kind of different products...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 9,525 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Damn that thing is clean. Looks amazing.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Ok, thanks, Todd! From the comparisson chart, I was thinking more like the Blue Velvet stuff, but I'll take your advice. I enjoy waxing my car, so I thought it might be fun to give it a try...I like experimenting with all kind of different products...
I am thinking that yours is the light grey...if it's actually the dark grey, then go with the Blue Velvet.

Yeah, I like trying out a bunch of different products myself...it's a sickness and it can do bad things to your bank account!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 9,525 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Any chance you can get a picture of your cleaned up engine bay? I've been looking for a good product to clean mine up a little and I want to see how yours turned out.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Pro

Hey Todd,

This is my car...

Which Dodo wax should I go with?

Also, how would you compare the initial shine of this product to Fourstars UPP?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Any chance you can get a picture of your cleaned up engine bay? I've been looking for a good product to clean mine up a little and I want to see how yours turned out.
Let me work on that photo tomorrow. If it helps though, I can tell you that it pretty much looks brand new, yet has 37K miles on it.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Hey Todd,

This is my car...

Which Dodo wax should I go with?

Also, how would you compare the initial shine of this product to Fourstars UPP?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Jeff,

My bad...yeah, you want the Blue Velvet!

I don't have personal experience with the UPP, so I can't compare.

Todd
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Pro

Jeff,

My bad...yeah, you want the Blue Velvet!

I don't have personal experience with the UPP, so I can't compare.

Todd
Hey Todd,

Glad I asked, LOL Do you think the hard wax or the soft is better? I was going to apply with an applicator pad, and I tend to go heavy on wax application, so I was thinking the hard might be better?

Also, did you order the 30ML sampe of the Super Natural? If so, does it come in a decent container? I'm thinking on a TSX I should be able to get a good 4 coats out of the 30 ML sample?

How does it smell? Can you smell it when you walk into the garage?

Lastly, I recently washed with ONR, clayed, polished, and then sealed with Four Star UPP. I'd really hate to get rid of that seal, but I know I will want to try this product. Can I apply a coat of this stuff on top of the Four Star sealant, or would that just be a waste? I guess I was just wondering if this would add to the reflectiveness and depth that the UPP is currently giving?

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Hey Todd,

Glad I asked, LOL Do you think the hard wax or the soft is better? I was going to apply with an applicator pad, and I tend to go heavy on wax application, so I was thinking the hard might be better?

Also, did you order the 30ML sampe of the Super Natural? If so, does it come in a decent container? I'm thinking on a TSX I should be able to get a good 4 coats out of the 30 ML sample?

How does it smell? Can you smell it when you walk into the garage?

Lastly, I recently washed with ONR, clayed, polished, and then sealed with Four Star UPP. I'd really hate to get rid of that seal, but I know I will want to try this product. Can I apply a coat of this stuff on top of the Four Star sealant, or would that just be a waste? I guess I was just wondering if this would add to the reflectiveness and depth that the UPP is currently giving?

Thanks again!
Let's see:

With the hard wax, you want to apply a very thin coat! You can get away with heavier coats with the soft wax.

The 30ML comes in a small glass container. At least with the hard wax, you should be able to get more than 4 applications. I barely put a dent in mine today.

Smells quite nice, and yes the garage is full of it right now.

You could top the sealant with it, it would just change the look a little. I usually have a coat of Optimum Opti-seal, and then top it with a carnauba.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Pro

Let's see:

With the hard wax, you want to apply a very thin coat! You can get away with heavier coats with the soft wax.

The 30ML comes in a small glass container. At least with the hard wax, you should be able to get more than 4 applications. I barely put a dent in mine today.

Smells quite nice, and yes the garage is full of it right now.

You could top the sealant with it, it would just change the look a little. I usually have a coat of Optimum Opti-seal, and then top it with a carnauba.
So, would you suggest the hard or soft wax? What's the main difference?

How would you compare this wax to all of the others that you've used? Would you rate this better than most of them, or about the same?

Lastly, what do you mean by it would change the look a little if I added it on top of a sealant? Would it help increase the reflectiveness and depth?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Todd, your Type S is one rolling piece of wet glass & mirror. It sure looks beautiful. What do you recommend for that kind of shine on a Type S with a Silver Metallic finish? I know, because it's metallic, I don't think I'll ever get that kind of shine. But WOW !!!!

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/midwest-312/kansas-city-2009-spring-all-acura-meet-may-17th-12pm-%40-jay-wolfe-acura-714994/
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro

Todd,

I'm going to go with the purple haze soft wax. Sounds like it's easier to apply. However, I'm going to apply it with an applicator pad.

Lastly, how long do you suggest letting it haze on the paint before removing it?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Racer

From my personal experience. i've never put a coat of just was on since I've polished my car(when i bought my buffer excel got me onto the FSUPP train.). but i usually apply a sealant for the durability, and it does make the paint pop, the flakes look a little clearer. but i like to top with P21S(wax) and in my opinion in adds that wet deep look, and i love it. its not dramatic but just adds a little something.

P21S isn't exactly in the same category with DODO, but i have the same colored car as you and i can see a difference when i top my sealant with a wax.

Last edited by bo0sty; 04-16-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Racer

you sign on your garage ceiling is pimp!! I want to come spend a day with you some time, I asked before, you said I might have to work....fine with me!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
The Detailer

JLTSX07, I think your best bet would be Blue Velvet. If you go with a soft wax, you'll tend to use a lot more wax than you really should. If you want to get the most out of your money, your best bet is to go with a hard wax.

I myself purchased a Test Tube Kit (which has 30 ml samples of all their hard and soft waxes) and I have still yet to use them all.

Another wax that's worth mentioning is Pinnacle Souveran. It's super for dark finishes.

JLTSX07 and Todd, you guys should give the Rubbish Boys Original Edition a shot. I've read from other detailers that it's better than Supernatural.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Denzil
JLTSX07, I think your best bet would be Blue Velvet. If you go with a soft wax, you'll tend to use a lot more wax than you really should. If you want to get the most out of your money, your best bet is to go with a hard wax.

I myself purchased a Test Tube Kit (which has 30 ml samples of all their hard and soft waxes) and I have still yet to use them all.

Another wax that's worth mentioning is Pinnacle Souveran. It's super for dark finishes.

JLTSX07 and Todd, you guys should give the Rubbish Boys Original Edition a shot. I've read from other detailers that it's better than Supernatural.
Hey Denzil,

I ended up purchasing the Dodo Purple Haze Soft Wax. It sounds like the soft wax is easier to work with. Anyway, I will just constantly remind myself to go light on the wax.

I will definitely give the Dodo RB stuff a shot. Have you heard anything about any of their other line? Do you think the RB stuff is a lot better than the Purple Haze which is suppose to be really good for darker colors? Anyway, I will have to try them all out!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Pro

Denzil and other detailers,

How do you think the DODO Purple Haze Soft Wax will compare to the Meguiars NXT 2.0? One of my neighbors is a diehard Meguiar's fan, and is thoroughly convinced that his NXT 2.0 is a much better product, and that his NXT 2.0 will produce just as good of a shine if not better. It will be interesting to see, but I was just curious what you all think...
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh hell........you guys are gonna want me to carry this now huh.............
Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Oh hell........you guys are gonna want me to carry this now huh.............

We will see, Pat, LOL! I decided to take the plunge... I've heard a lot about this stuff, and I'll apply a coat over my FS UPP... It will be interesting to see if I see much of a difference. What are your thoughts on the DODO line?

Also, what do you think about the Lake County Ulti Mitt? It looks kind of funky, but I wonder how well it actually performs. Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Racer

Denzil and other detailers,

How do you think the DODO Purple Haze Soft Wax will compare to the Meguiars NXT 2.0? One of my neighbors is a diehard Meguiar's fan, and is thoroughly convinced that his NXT 2.0 is a much better product, and that his NXT 2.0 will produce just as good of a shine if not better. It will be interesting to see, but I was just curious what you all think...
NXT is decent...the main reason he probably like it is because it has fillers. my experience from nxt it wasn't at easy to work with as other waxes. when i got around to polishing my car i had some nxt laying around and when put on a well prepped surface its actually kind of flat. when i applied my P21S it added that depth and wetness NXT lacks.

If your spending your money on some serious wax like DODO make sure you car is well prepped and thoroughly detailed. or itll be a waste.

Show your neighbor a well prepped car with DODO applied. you should let him try it out, maybe do a 50/50.

Last edited by bo0sty; 04-17-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Todd, your Type S is one rolling piece of wet glass & mirror. It sure looks beautiful. What do you recommend for that kind of shine on a Type S with a Silver Metallic finish? I know, because it's metallic, I don't think I'll ever get that kind of shine. But WOW !!!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714994
Steven,

Thanks! It definitely makes a great sales tool for sure.

First of all you need to remember that a look like this largely in the preparation. Do you have a PC or similar to work on it? If not, there is your key.

If you do, then I would recommend keeping a sealant like Optimum Opti-seal on it, and regularly topping it with a good wax. I'd apply a couple of coats of sealant every 3 or 4 months, and wax it at least every month. You could even use a product like Optimum Car Wax (spray) while you're drying the vehicle...sure it's overkill because OCW lasts so long, but it will keep it looking very nice.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by mrclrider
you sign on your garage ceiling is pimp!! I want to come spend a day with you some time, I asked before, you said I might have to work....fine with me!!!
Thanks Matt! Actually a friend of mine gave me the idea of having the sign printed in reverse so it shows up correctly in the hood reflection shots.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Racer

Well your friend is one smart cookie!! Have you seen the window stickers like an oil change? The mercedes that I did last Saturday had one in it from the last detailer, I thought it was an awesome idea, and for someone like you it might work, maybe in the door jam?? I ordered business cards yesterday, I went with "Needed Touch Detailing".
sorry for the short thread jack!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Todd, nice work as always. Looks like your enjoying some of the Dodo Juice products you picked up. That hood shot is simply gorgeous!!!

You make me want to go do my car in all Dodo now!

George
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Team Owner

I just keep looking at these pictures......can't stop.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I just keep looking at these pictures......can't stop.
Then my subliminal messages are working their magic on you!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Great work Todd, you never cease to amaze me, def want to see an engine shot
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Great work Todd, you never cease to amaze me, def want to see an engine shot
Thanks man! When the sunshine gets over the house and into the driveway early this afternoon, I'll go out and take a shot or two and post it up.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Engine bay shots as promised...

Inside with flash:

Outdoors in sun:
Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Todd, if you were going to charge a TL owner for the job you just did on your car, what would you charge them?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Racer

Engine bay shots as promised...

Outdoors in sun:

seriously, do you even drive this car past the end of the driveway to do a detail?? That is cleaner than the wifes new Fusion, LOL

Quick Reply: So I cleaned up the TL-S a bit today...