Re-do question......

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 AM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re-do question......

About 3 weeks ago I did my wife's SUV with Optimum Compound II, then P21S paint cleaner followed by P21S paste wax. Looked good.

Howwwwwever, I just picked up the Wolfgang series of Polish Enhancer, Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and their Fuzion wax. How do I go about applying these goodies? Do I have to re-do the Compound to ensure all the other products are off or can I just fire away starting with the Polish? (have the porter cable).

Actually the Fuzion won't be here till probably Wednesday-ish as my car was done with the above and is now sitting with her car cover in the garage awaiting the wax.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

C'mon, someone answer this or I'm quitting and never doing it by myself again!!!11!! It's impossible !!1!!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing will remove any of your previous coats of protection on your paint. You only want to compound if you have heavy / deep imperfections you are trying to remove.

If you want to strip everything off prior to polishing, you can wash with a concentrated strong shampoo such as Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash & Gloss or Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear. Wash with Dawn (although over time can dry out trim and other pieces). Quick detail with Isopropyl Alcohol and water (50/50 mix).

Good luck, have fun with the new goodies.

George
Old 06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy my young Padawan, you have much to learn on your quest for Paint perfection ha..ha..! ok where do we start....
So you hit the SUV with OCII to remove most of the swirls. I am going out on a limb here and thinking your wifes SUV is a light colored veh like white, silver gold etc with prob some metallic flake in there somewhere or I would have expected you to finish down the compounding with a finishing polish. On darker colored cars the finishing polish is what really brings out the deep gloss. Now remember this.... Polishing the car with an abrasive Polish/Compound leveling the paint and removing scratches and swirls is what makes your paint shine like no other. It's not the Wax or paint sealant or any other miracle product on the market that give you an exceptional shine. The wax/paint sealant is designed to "Protect your cars finish" especially after it has been corrected. I am not familiar with the new OCII though so I'm not sure how well it finishes down. On most light colored cars it can probably finish down LSP ready? but again, I'm not sure because I have not tried the new formula. In any case In my opinion you have been attacked by the Advertising Hype of two competing Manufacturers. You've been bitten by the detailing bug and are now infected with the "more is better" disease! Don't feel bad we have all been there. You will soon come to realize that every year the detailing industry comes out with "The NEWER, BETTER" products promising you the moon and the stars! and then everyone rushes out to buy these new awesome products and then they spend all weekend applying them and admiring their hard work but in reality they are looking closely and by george....there isn't any discernible difference from the 20 "OLD" products they have sitting on their shelf in the garage collecting dust. We all jump in with both feet and buy the "New and improved" product versions which must be better right? after all the manufacturer says so!

Ok, well you decided to try the Wolfgang Series, no problem, I like their products and use them myself. In this case you have Essentially bought the exact same products from 2 competing company's. The only difference is that you went with a Paint sealant instead of the wax but then chose Fuzion with is a mixture of both synthetic and natural wax. I can totally see you wanting to try the wolfgang products and I personally think that you will be happier with them over just the P21 wax as I prefer sealant to wax myself. BUT you wasted some money here...The P21s paint cleaner and the Wolfgang Polish enhancer are essentially the same thing. They are both paint cleaners that will strip off any existing wax or sealant and possibly remove some slight oxidation or water marks etc giving your paint sealant a nice clean surface to bond to. As the previous post stated you can essentially do the same thing by washing the car with an appropriate washing agent that strips off existing wax or misting with isopropyl alcohol and wiping the car down. Now you have 2 bottles of "Paint Cleaner". These should not be used every time you wax/sealant your car because it is unecessary. Often times you want to build up the layers of sealant or wax, especially sealant. So these cleaners will last you a long time!!

Ok now I am going to finally answer your question! ha..ha..!
You do not need to compound the car again. This is usually done every 6 months to a year and only if needed. Remember every time you polish your car you are removing small amounts of clear coat or paint. So all you need to do is grab your PC, a soft pad that is used for applying wax and your paint cleanser (pick one). Put a quarter size drop on the pad and work it into the paint until is hazes (just like applying wax). Follow the instructions on the bottle, then buff it off with a microfiber towel. This should remove all the remaining P21s Wax you just applied 3 weeks ago. Now you are ready to apply the Deep GLoss Paint sealant. Pretty much follow the same procedure as above and remember that you do not need alot of sealant. You want a nice thin coat, any more and you are just wasting product and money. (Make sure you use a different pad than you used for applying the cleaner). If you do not have 2 pads for applying wax/sealant with your PC then apply the cleaner by hand. You can apply the sealant to the entire car first and then buff off with a clean microfiber towel. You will be amazed at how easy the Wolfgang sealant buffs right off, it's wonderful!. Now I would recommend that you apply 2 coats of the sealant but wait at least 12 hours between coats allowing the product to cure and chemically bond to the paint. Applying a second coat any sooner and you risk the second coat removing the first coat and you are right back to square one. After the second coat has cured you are ready to apply the Fuzion Wax. The only caution I have is from this point on you may only want to re-apply the Fuzion wax for the next several months as I'm not sure if the DGPS will adhere correctly over top the Fuzion. Paint sealants do not adhere correctly to the car when applied on top of a wax and will streak. A wax however can be applied on top of a paint sealant once it has cured. The Fuzion appears to be synthetic but it also has natural wax in it so I do not know if you can apply the paint sealant atop of it? I'd say once a year you are going to want to strip everything off with your paint cleaners again and start the process all over. Good Luck!

God Bless,
Paul
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM
RonJon/Kaption/Clifford

Originally Posted by conan777
Oh boy my young Padawan, you have much to learn on your quest for Paint perfection ha..ha..! ok where do we start....
So you hit the SUV with OCII to remove most of the swirls. I am going out on a limb here and thinking your wifes SUV is a light colored veh like white, silver gold etc with prob some metallic flake in there somewhere or I would have expected you to finish down the compounding with a finishing polish. On darker colored cars the finishing polish is what really brings out the deep gloss. Now remember this.... Polishing the car with an abrasive Polish/Compound leveling the paint and removing scratches and swirls is what makes your paint shine like no other. It's not the Wax or paint sealant or any other miracle product on the market that give you an exceptional shine. The wax/paint sealant is designed to "Protect your cars finish" especially after it has been corrected. I am not familiar with the new OCII though so I'm not sure how well it finishes down. On most light colored cars it can probably finish down LSP ready? but again, I'm not sure because I have not tried the new formula. In any case In my opinion you have been attacked by the Advertising Hype of two competing Manufacturers. You've been bitten by the detailing bug and are now infected with the "more is better" disease! Don't feel bad we have all been there. You will soon come to realize that every year the detailing industry comes out with "The NEWER, BETTER" products promising you the moon and the stars! and then everyone rushes out to buy these new awesome products and then they spend all weekend applying them and admiring their hard work but in reality they are looking closely and by george....there isn't any discernible difference from the 20 "OLD" products they have sitting on their shelf in the garage collecting dust. We all jump in with both feet and buy the "New and improved" product versions which must be better right? after all the manufacturer says so!

Ok, well you decided to try the Wolfgang Series, no problem, I like their products and use them myself. In this case you have Essentially bought the exact same products from 2 competing company's. The only difference is that you went with a Paint sealant instead of the wax but then chose Fuzion with is a mixture of both synthetic and natural wax. I can totally see you wanting to try the wolfgang products and I personally think that you will be happier with them over just the P21 wax as I prefer sealant to wax myself. BUT you wasted some money here...The P21s paint cleaner and the Wolfgang Polish enhancer are essentially the same thing. They are both paint cleaners that will strip off any existing wax or sealant and possibly remove some slight oxidation or water marks etc giving your paint sealant a nice clean surface to bond to. As the previous post stated you can essentially do the same thing by washing the car with an appropriate washing agent that strips off existing wax or misting with isopropyl alcohol and wiping the car down. Now you have 2 bottles of "Paint Cleaner". These should not be used every time you wax/sealant your car because it is unecessary. Often times you want to build up the layers of sealant or wax, especially sealant. So these cleaners will last you a long time!!

Ok now I am going to finally answer your question! ha..ha..!
You do not need to compound the car again. This is usually done every 6 months to a year and only if needed. Remember every time you polish your car you are removing small amounts of clear coat or paint. So all you need to do is grab your PC, a soft pad that is used for applying wax and your paint cleanser (pick one). Put a quarter size drop on the pad and work it into the paint until is hazes (just like applying wax). Follow the instructions on the bottle, then buff it off with a microfiber towel. This should remove all the remaining P21s Wax you just applied 3 weeks ago. Now you are ready to apply the Deep GLoss Paint sealant. Pretty much follow the same procedure as above and remember that you do not need alot of sealant. You want a nice thin coat, any more and you are just wasting product and money. (Make sure you use a different pad than you used for applying the cleaner). If you do not have 2 pads for applying wax/sealant with your PC then apply the cleaner by hand. You can apply the sealant to the entire car first and then buff off with a clean microfiber towel. You will be amazed at how easy the Wolfgang sealant buffs right off, it's wonderful!. Now I would recommend that you apply 2 coats of the sealant but wait at least 12 hours between coats allowing the product to cure and chemically bond to the paint. Applying a second coat any sooner and you risk the second coat removing the first coat and you are right back to square one. After the second coat has cured you are ready to apply the Fuzion Wax. The only caution I have is from this point on you may only want to re-apply the Fuzion wax for the next several months as I'm not sure if the DGPS will adhere correctly over top the Fuzion. Paint sealants do not adhere correctly to the car when applied on top of a wax and will streak. A wax however can be applied on top of a paint sealant once it has cured. The Fuzion appears to be synthetic but it also has natural wax in it so I do not know if you can apply the paint sealant atop of it? I'd say once a year you are going to want to strip everything off with your paint cleaners again and start the process all over. Good Luck!

God Bless,
Paul

Thanks for the very, informative response Paul, much appreciated.
I'm going to go ahead and use the Polish, then sealant then finally the wax (with proper wait times as indicated). Don't care about the $$ with the P21S product, no worries. Just make my 'display' of detailing products in the garage look that much bigger lol.
I plan on doing the sealant again in about 6 months, then 6 months after re-do it all from the compound up. Just wish I could do it more often, great little hobby-tiring but rewarding.

The fuzion should be good for 5 weeks give or take too.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
GTA, prolong that protection with a monthly spray wax!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA_TLS
C'mon, someone answer this or I'm quitting and never doing it by myself again!!!11!! It's impossible !!1!!