Protecting a Recently Detailed TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007 | 10:20 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

From: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Question Protecting a Recently Detailed TL

Ok, I just cleaned, polished, protected, wiped and sealed my TL.....LOL

I'm a Zaino junkie.......every number 2,5,6,7,8....you get the idea.

The car looks fantastic but I know the damn pollen is going to get all over it in a day or two.

My TL is parked outside and I have no garage........

Here's the question:
Does anyone here have any experience with using the OEM car cover for our TL's?

Ideally I would like to cover it up while it sits in the drive just to keep it clean.
I don't know exactly how much I would use the cover but sometimes my car will sit for long periods of time at home (a day or so - tops) and it could be covered if I had one.

Old 05-24-2007 | 10:25 PM
Instructor

IMHO, you will end up causing more damage to the paint by taking the cover on/off than you will protecting it from dust and pollen. contaminants that settle onto the paint during the day when you drive or park will be under the cover...then you take the cover off and risk scratching something.

just my opinion...unless you plan on washing before putting on the cover each time.

Old 05-25-2007 | 06:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I would say forget the cover and use a QD to get the light pollen and dust off.
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:55 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

What is a QD?
Old 05-25-2007 | 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Steve, QD's are quick detailers. Used primarily for light cleaning, i.e. dust, fingerprints, bird droppings.
"QC's" or quick cleaners offer a layer of protection and can be used or the same reasons but to a slightly higher degree. They normally have a ligher lubricity which allows for a little safer cleaning of the above problems. They can also be used as wateless washes, and they will offer Nuba as protection and/or a polymer protectant.
Old 05-25-2007 | 09:06 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Oh I getcha – I didn’t recognize the acronym……

I got some of that - it's one of the Zaino numbers...... in fact that is what I did this morning prior to leaving for work.

I've also heard about using those moppy California Car Duster things....... how do you feel about them Patrick?
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:05 AM
Trucki!!

I use the CD on my SSM, I wouldn't really suggest it on darker cars. But on silver it works great.
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:13 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by lembowski
I use the CD on my SSM, I wouldn't really suggest it on darker cars. But on silver it works great.

I might give it a try tonight - I have a very old one with a wooden handle......from about oh god 8-12 years ago when they first came out? I don't think it was used manyt imes since it still looks brand new.

I do believe if used with very little force/pressure it will be just fine. Obviously you cant go scrubbing the finish with it....LOL. A gentle wipe should suffice......

Good to know you have had some good results with it..........
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:16 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by paradigm
IMHO, you will end up causing more damage to the paint by taking the cover on/off than you will protecting it from dust and pollen. contaminants that settle onto the paint during the day when you drive or park will be under the cover...then you take the cover off and risk scratching something.

just my opinion...unless you plan on washing before putting on the cover each time.

I wouldn't use it everyday......... more like just after a nice detail until I take her back out on the road.
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Theyre ok if used for the right purpose, like light dust and nothing more. Be careful with pollen though, its pretty abrasive.....
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:23 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Theyre ok if used for the right purpose, like light dust and nothing more. Be careful with pollen though, its pretty abrasive.....
That's what I've heard............ I hate pollen.....

I'll give it a try tonight - a light light dusting is all she needs.
Old 05-25-2007 | 01:47 PM
Instructor

i would pick up a better cleaner spray than what Zaino offers....their Z6 isn't much more than a final wipedown QD. i wouldn't trust it with anything more than the lightest dusting on a car.

highly recommended are:

1. Duragloss FC&S
2. ONR diluted to QD strength
3. Poorboys S&W
Old 05-25-2007 | 02:19 PM
Instructor

I posted the following in another thread about the CCD. I have a SSM TL Type-S myself and I have used the CCD with no problem causing scratching. I am pretty anal about keeping my car clean.

The trick with a CCD is to keep it up off of the surface high enough that only the the ends of the threads are touching the car. When I am talking about a CCD for the exterior, I am talking one of the big ones with like a 30" reach handle, the small CCD is good for the interior, but the big one has nice long threads that actually hang down enough that you don't have to worry about putting enough pressure (or ANY pressure for that matter) to cause micro-scratches. You don't need any pressure at all on it to get the dust lifted. If you go to any custom car show, you will see guys all over the place using a CCD to dust thier cars off, and some of them probably have more in just the paint job than the value of most of our cars. This last weekend, I was detailing a VERY dark green car and just before applying the sealant, I needed to remove some of the polishing dust and pollen that had fallen on the car. I used the CCD as I have described, didn't get any marks and completely removed the dust. Being spring time here in Colorado, and that there are a couple of big pines nearby, right now we have a MAJOR pollen issue, the cars can look like they are growing green fuzz in just a few minutes after a complete wash and the CCD cleans them up in a heartbeat. If you use the CCD correctly, you probably have less chance of putting swirl marks on the car than you would if you washed and dried it.
Old 05-25-2007 | 05:21 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by paradigm
i would pick up a better cleaner spray than what Zaino offers....their Z6 isn't much more than a final wipedown QD. i wouldn't trust it with anything more than the lightest dusting on a car.

highly recommended are:

1. Duragloss FC&S
2. ONR diluted to QD strength
3. Poorboys S&W

I have actually had great results with the Zaino line........especially the
Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal and the Z-CS. Both have created a very slick surface.
I haven't tried the others you mention but I'm sure they are good too.

hardrock32tls I posted the following in another thread about the CCD. I have a SSM TL Type-S myself and I have used the CCD with no problem causing scratching. I am pretty anal about keeping my car clean.
I couldn't agree more hardrock......... I did that when I got home from work tonight and it worked like a charm. Use only the ends of the CCD and you should be fine!
Old 06-03-2007 | 11:50 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I've been giving this cover much thought - and I found one on eBay for $75.00............much better than the dealer price of over $200.00

It's OEM Acura and used a couple of times. I plan on using it only after the car has been cleaned and polished - just to keep down on the pollen and crap flying out of the trees in
the yard.