Which Porter Cable kit should I get

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Which Porter Cable kit should I get

It's either Porter Cable 7424 XP for me or nothing~ I took a peek at Autogeek and damnnn they have so many kits, I dont even know where to start! I'm planning to get a kit that can help me remove swirls and apply polish as well as wax~ which pads should I get for those uses?

Also, many kits on Autogeek includes wax and polish,etc. but I already have Meguiar's Ultimate Polish Pre-waxing glaze, and NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, any of these good to be used on the PC to remove swirls? or do I need to get a specific swirl remover?

I've never had experience using a mechanical polisher before (hand wax is a bitch ) and looking forward to a great future with a good kit that best suite my purpose.

Thank you A-Zine. Go BRUINSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I`d answer but I`m a Canuck fan....

BTW search is your friend.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
dont get a kit.

all you need is the PC7424XP with the backing pad and 2 or 3 orange pads and 2 or 3 white pads.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Racer

orange pad to remove swirls, white pad to apply wax! what do you use to remove swirls/scratches on the black trim?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Orange pad to remobe heavier stuff .. White pad to remove finer stuff ....

Apply wax by hand ... if your buying the PC to apply wax then your wasting your time.

As for the black .. you talking about the B pillars?

BTW I am 67 years old and apply all waxes by hand.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn

yup the B pillars.. what do you use on them?

I think using the polisher would be more effective, take less time, besides the fact they can remove swirls!

You're da mannn! but Canucks still lose tonight
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by umakemekissu
yup the B pillars.. what do you use on them?

I think using the polisher would be more effective, take less time, besides the fact they can remove swirls!

You're da mannn! but Canucks still lose tonight
Well he was talking about applying your wax by hand instead of using the PC. Wax/Sealant does not remove swirls. Depending on the condition of your paint you would need some type of compound/polish combo to use with the orange and white pads to remove the swirls. Once you have all the swirls removed, then you apply the wax/sealant to provide protection for your paint.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Racer

yeah as stated in my 1st post I have a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish Pre-Waxing Glaze. On the bottle it says it can eliminates fine swirl marks. So I'm assuming I can remove swirls with it.. or should I get something else?

@Jesstzn: good series !!!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get this at least:
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-pad-kit.html

This includes a backing plate and 4 5.5" pads. Since you already have Ultimate Polish and NXT 2.0, i would just pick up Ultimate compound from your local walmart. The 4 pads I would pick would be 2 orange, 1 grey and 1 blue. The orange pads will be for the Ultimate Compound, the grey will be for the ultimate polish and the blue will be for NXT 2.0
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
There are several kits to choose from, but if you already have a couple products to use then I would focus more on a pad kit.

Here is one of the more popular pad kits available with the Porter Cable 7424xp. It comes with SIX 5.5" Lake Country CCS pads of your choice, along with the necessary backing plate to attach the pads to. The kit also includes a couple other accessories, including Pinnacle XMT Pad Cleaner & Conditioner along with a couple microfiber towels.

Lake Country - Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pad Kit

Most people tend to go with two light cutting pads (orange), two polishing pads (white) and two finishing/wax pads (gray, blue, red).

Orange = Aggressive Polish or Compound
White = Polish or Paint Cleaner
Gray/Blue/Red = Wax or Sealant

Generally speaking, your cutting and polishing pads will see more abuse and tend to wear faster than a wax or sealant pad. When using a cutting pad, you're going to be using a polish or compound with abrasives in it along with a higher speed on the machine along with more pressure. This is necessary to level the paint and remove defects such as swirls, light scratches, and water spots. Now on a wax/sealant pad you're going to be using a product with no abrasives, no pressure applied (let the weight of the machine do the work) and a much lower speed so the pad is seeing less abuse. If you plan on doing multiple vehicles, it would be ideal to get some extra cutting and polishing pads.

Lake Country 5.5" CCS Pads

A dual action polisher is not only more effective at removing paint defects, but it also makes applying a wax or a sealant a breeze. Since working at Autogeek I've introduced several close friends and family members to the world of the DA Polisher and how much easier it makes car maintenance. Prior to picking up a Porter Cable 7424xp, a close friend of mine would only wax is car once a year because he hated doing it. I let him borrow my 7424xp one day along with a wax/sealant pad and he called me the next morning and ordered an entire kit. Now he's out in the garage every 2 months waxing his car with the DA because it's so easy and virtually effortless.

Once you get the hang of the Porter Cable and become addicted to detailing, you'll probably end up with one of these bad boys.

The following users liked this post:
umakemekissu (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
IMHO I would get this:

PC 7424XP
5" Meguiars DA Microfiber kit

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
This was my biggest issue when I first decided to dabble in detailing...All the vendors saying this is best and this is best...

I can tell you what has worked best for me so far...But I am far from a pro...

My personal preference...

Properly Detailing How-To Videos

Heres a list of some other helpful detail threads here

Detailing-Acronyms

Product-Reviews

Buffer

Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit

- I like this set because you get 8 pads 2 of each color which in reality is what a beginner should at least have; 2 pads of each color because if your trying to use only one pad to go over the entire vehicle it you will have to be making frequent stops to clean it (brush)/wash it/ dry it . Plus you also get a good 5" backing plate.

Lighting

Craftsman 1000watt Light

- I have these light and they work great, absolutely necessary when doing paint correction to see all the defects. It’s just as important as having the Porter Cable to do correction work with. This is something that is always, and I mean always over looked by beginners. I would say without proper lighting don’t even attempt to do any correction work period.

Car Wash

Glossworkz-AUTO WASH -Gloss Booster and Paintwork Cleanser ( 1 Gal)

- This is a good wash I have personally had time to play around with the dilutions since i purchased a gallon of it when it was introduced, I wanted to see what would give me the best cleaning/ lubricity abilities while washing. Chemical Guys recommends using it at 1 oz per 5 gallons of water. I have found that this does work but its not up to par with many other soaps. So since it is never really necessary to wash with 5 gallons of water (unless you have a full sized truck or SUV) especially if your vehicle is a Mustang. I wash with 3 gallons of water to be both friendly to the environment but also to save on my water bill. Since doing weekly washes will tend to jack up your bill a bit. So onto what I am getting at, 3 gallons of water mixed with 2oz of Chemical Guys Glossworkz will make one of the best washes you can use. The only other soap I like more is Majestic Solutions Ultra Gloss it also can be used at the exact same dilution.

Majestic Ultra Gloss

- I have not used this yet but everyone I know that has is ranting a raving about it. This will be my next shampoo purchase.

YouTube - Paul Dalton shows how to wash your car properly

Grit Guards

The Grit Guard Insert - 2 Pack

- The GritGuards are an essential tool that you would want to have in your detailing arsenal. Getting 2 of them are defiantly worth it. To further understand how they work watch this video made by Paul Dalton. This will also show you how to properly wash your vehicle, this and several other good detailing videos are located in the detailing stickies.

Good Wash Mitt / Sponges

**Listed from least expensive to most**

Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt

Autowerkes Exclusive :: RaceGlaze Deep Pile Natural Sheepskin Washmitt :: 2008 :: Shop

Uber Wool Wash Mitt

Uber Yellow Wash Sponge

- Another product that is essential to prevent you to further scratch and mar your finish whether your paint has been corrected or not is a quality wool wash mitt or quality sponge.

For Rims/Tires

SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

- Very good quality wheel cleaner that can literally be used on any wheel no matter what the metal is or weather is coated or not.

Clay Bar

Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar - 200 g | Detailed Image

Mothers® California Gold® Clay Bar System

- I like this clay (Clay Magic), it does a really go job at removing above surface embedded contaminates. Not only that but since Automagic, makers of the original clay bar Claymagic clay holds the rights to make every clay bar in the US as of now, excluding only Gliptone clay anything you buy is going to be from so just get this or Mothers clay bar locally at any auto part store or Walmart which is also made by them. Unless you’re willing to import clay like Bilt Hamber clays from out of the country.

Chemical Guys Clay Bar and Luber

- I tried this the last time I detailed my car. And I have to say this is my new favorite clay/lube. The lube is awesome. I felt that it went alot further then alot of the QD's I have used and the clay works great. I cut the bar into 3rds because the bar is huge.

Compound/Polish

Mezerna Compound/Polish/Sealant Kit – All Inclusive

**Menzerna Kit includes compound/polish/and sealant protection So if members want they technically wouldn't need to invest in CG Blacklight or V7 just go straight to LSP after applying Powerlock**

Optimum Compound

Optimum Polish

- I really like the Optimum Compound/Polish combo due to the ease of use with the spray on application and the fact that it works so well together.

CG Blacklight and CG V7

- I really like the Blacklight and V7 combo. I think it gives a very nice wet look to the paint and helps protect for a good amount of time.

Top it with Autoglym HD or any other LSP. If your lucky walmart has it on sale for $20. It’s regularly $50. See if you can find it.

Sealant

BlackFire Wet Diamond

- I have fell in love with this sealant. It leaves the paint looking wet like no other sealant I have seen. Goes on easy but be leary of putting it on too thick because it will be a pain in the ass to get it off. The results are so damn awesome IMHO.

Chemical Guys V7

- I have used this as both a sealant for blacklight and a quick detailer. It works great in both applications.

LSP

Autoglym HD

- This is the first LSP I used and I loved it. It lasts for about 1 - 1.5 months and if easy to apply and easy to remove. As with all LSP's its only as good as the prep work.

Pinnacle Signature Series II

- My new favorite LSP. As with all other its only as good as the prep but I paired it with BFWD after a correction and the paint looks like a sea of black water. And that was just with 1 coat of it. I have been told to follow this with a coat of [url=http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-souveran-spray-wax.html[Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax[/url] to make it pop for that much longer.

Quick Detailer

Automotive Detail Quick Detail Spray and Clay Lube With Carnauba

- CG Pro-detailer is used as a great quick detailer and clay lubricant

For Interior

303 Aerospace Protectant 32 oz

- 303 Aerospace Protectant check out Danny’s review on it in the detailing product reviews sticky

Leather

Zaino Z-9

Zaino Z-10

- I have used the Zaino leather stuff for years. I love it. The smell is AWESOME. But the leatherique works ALOT better IMHO

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - 32 oz | Detailed Image

- To use basically watch the video on how to clean and condition leather properly it’s in the detailing video library

APC - All Purpose Cleaner

Zep

- I Love ZEP because its about $11 a gallon at home depot and has so many uses. I use it to clean heavily greased areas like the fenderwells, engine bays, and underbody parts. I also use it to clean my garage floor so you can dilute it to whatever way you would like to use the product.

Microfibers

Microfibers

- These are great for removing polish residue/wax residue/quick detailing, ipa wipe downs.

MICROPAK 25" x 36" Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel

- These are a GREAT drying towel

Micro Rejuvenator Microfiber Detergent Concentrate

- To keep up your microfiber towels wash with 1 to 2 oz (depending on the load size) of this use a warm setting with a second rinse cycle and then dry on medium to low heat with no softeners or dryer sheets. Then fold and store them in a clean area or in plastic storage containers.
Also some have used Tide “Free” in the wash cycle with no additives and dried on medium to low heat with great success. Just remember before you toss out a good MF thinking it is done try boiling it and that can a lot of the times bring it back to life.

Total Cost = $749.29 + Shipping***

OR

I have just bought the Meguiars DA Correction System and have not yet had a chance to use it...It is however getting rave reviews and is priced right as well...

Porter Cable 7427XP

Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

Meguiars DA Correction System

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

The DA Kit already comes with a compound, polish, backing plate and pads so it can save you alittle money and from what I have seen is a GREAT system and seems to be getting rave reviews so this is definitely a formidable option to the Foam pads and the mezerna compounds. The microfiber pads are made to be used with the Meguiars compounds and polishes but many people have used them with other compound and polishes with GREAT success. I cannot report on that personally as I have not tried them with others.

Everything else would be the same for either kit with the exception of the Meguiars Kit you do not need the Porter Cable kit with the foam pads and backing plate and the merzerna compound/polish.

Total Cost = $672.52 + Shipping***

***Little tidbit about Boutique Detailing Product Vendors that I have learned is that they ALL charge some flat rate shipping charge for the most part (some exceptions) and it is best to buy as much as you can in one order to make it count.
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/new-2012-tl-cleaning-advice-821999/

I dont care for the backing plate that you get with the Megs DA MF Kit...I use the Chemical Guys 5" backing plate and love it...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Backing_...lc_bp_da_5.htm

Works very well with both foam and the MF Kit...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Racer

last question, do you think I should just keep using my "Meguiar's Ultimate Polish Pre-waxing glaze" to remove swirls? On the bottle it says "eliminate fine swirls" but i'm not sure if I should go with something else more aggressive like the Ultimate Compound..

thanks everyone!!! tons of helpful info!!!

Last edited by umakemekissu; 06-16-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

last question, do you think I should just keep using my "Meguiar's Ultimate Polish Pre-waxing glaze" to remove swirls? On the bottle it says "eliminate fine swirls" but i'm not sure if I should go with something else more aggressive like the Ultimate Compound..

thanks everyone!!! tons of helpful info!!!
Try this ... use it on a 1 sq foot area and when done run a strip of masking tape down the middle. The wipe one side down with rubbing alcohol. Peel the tape back and look at both sides. If the swirls are back on the alcohol side then its just filling not removing them.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Racer

Try this ... use it on a 1 sq foot area and when done run a strip of masking tape down the middle. The wipe one side down with rubbing alcohol. Peel the tape back and look at both sides. If the swirls are back on the alcohol side then its just filling not removing them.
Thanks and will do, Canucks
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I got bored and decided to calculated how much everything would cost if you bought,
1. PCXP by itself with foam pads + polish/wax
2. PCXP by itself with Megs DA kit and extra pads (I've just tried it out for the first time, and I gotta say, it works very well)

1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/detailmaniac/5840730515/
2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/detailmaniac/5841281144/
Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Pro

Did you find that the 2 cutting and 2 polishing discs werent enough in the DA MF kit?

Oh and Digsby > Trillian
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisJ
Did you find that the 2 cutting and 2 polishing discs werent enough in the DA MF kit?

Oh and Digsby > Trillian
That's why in the order there are 1 extra of each, making 4 cutting disks and 4 finishing disks.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Racer

Orange pad to remobe heavier stuff .. White pad to remove finer stuff ....

Apply wax by hand ... if your buying the PC to apply wax then your wasting your time.

could anyone tell me what pad / polish combination to use remove swirls/scratches on B pillars? I'm thinking grey/blue/red pad with little cutting power, but which polish?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

could anyone tell me what pad / polish combination to use remove swirls/scratches on B pillars? I'm thinking grey/blue/red pad with little cutting power, but which polish?
I use a white pad and Optimum Polish 11 so something equal to that.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you guys consider Meguiars polisher? Its a better value considring it comes with hook and loop backing. very similar specs too

Meguiar's G110v2 Professional Dual Action Polisher

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G110v...gy_auto_text_b
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by paultl
have you guys consider Meguiars polisher? Its a better value considring it comes with hook and loop backing. very similar specs too

Meguiar's G110v2 Professional Dual Action Polisher

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G110v...gy_auto_text_b
Thats $149 .. the one from Coastal Tool comes with the hook & loop backing plate and is $125.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro

I did not care for the meguiars backing plate at all...