poorboys

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
poorboys

I'm a big fan of the Klasse twins, topped with p21s. On a whim I ordered some poorboys ex-p, Applied to the front clip of my TL and I was really impressed with the results. Don't know about the durability yet, but it really gave the car a nice silky smooth feel, topped it with my favorite p21s.

I had a black on black volvo s80 and even though I took good care of it and garaged it, it still had a lot of fine lines and light scratches on it. When I bought the TL I knew that would drive me crazy so I went for the alabaster silver.

I also picked up something called a grit guard, its a grid that fits into a 5 gal. bucket and raises the sponge about 4-5 inches off the bottom, keeping the particles off the sponge.

Dave
Old 05-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The newly formulated EX-P should get you a good 4-5 months of durabilty. I love the way it looks on silver, nicely done.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Echo, echo! I love EX-P - it's a great product. Given my druthers, I lean toward Four Star's UPP, but EX-P is much easier to use. Nice work!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Echo, echo! I love EX-P - it's a great product. Given my druthers, I lean toward Four Star's UPP, but EX-P is much easier to use. Nice work!
And thats some serious company to compare to! (FS UPP) I didnt think its got any easier then UPP! Both excellent products, and that Grit Guard, great choice for adding to your paint protection arsenal!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you like the EX-P, you should check out some of the other products in their line. I'm a fan of their polishes, especially the SSRs. Just an excellent line of carcare products. I know all the guys who posted before me use PB on a regular basis. Love my EX-P, but love UPP even more.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Love my EX-P, but love UPP even more.
Im with you Danny.........
Old 05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I love 'em both. The reason I reach for EX and EX-P often is that they are much easier to use in the sun. If I'm in a shaded/cool area UPP is my go-to on white/silver.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
I also picked up something called a grit guard, its a grid that fits into a 5 gal. bucket and raises the sponge about 4-5 inches off the bottom, keeping the particles off the sponge.

Dave
YIKES, get rid of the sponge, though!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Theresa, did you get your PC and accessories? Just wanted to know if you did your detail. Are you happy with the results and if you get a chance, post some pictures. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by t_in_maine
YIKES, get rid of the sponge, though!!!!

Thanks, I've tried some different washing mitts, never cared for them. Know what you mean though.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Black

Originally Posted by JackieO
I love 'em both. The reason I reach for EX and EX-P often is that they are much easier to use in the sun. If I'm in a shaded/cool area UPP is my go-to on white/silver.

JackieO/Picus, what is your "go to" for black paint? Z5 or Wolfgang's Paint Sealant for example or something else, where durability is nice to have but not essential since I don't mind detailing frequently as needed? You've mentioned good things about Jeffs products and others elsewhere, but what's the killer treatment for black, assuming proper clay, polish/glaze prep work? Like you, I use the Poorboys Spray and Wash regularly for clean up between washes so is there a PB product for blacks or is the EX and EXP best for the lighter colors as indicated here?

So far on black I have used Z2 (two coats) then Wolfgangs Sealant topped with PB's Natty's blue wax. It looks very good but maybe Z5 or others would be better for black so open to suggestions for sure.

Wrong forum, but then same questions for the diamond graphite color for G35 Coupe? Maybe close enough to silver that just go with the recommendations here.

Thanks for any recommendations you have, here or over at CL.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Hey Theresa, did you get your PC and accessories? Just wanted to know if you did your detail. Are you happy with the results and if you get a chance, post some pictures. Inquiring minds want to know.
I did get my PC and accessories, but we've not had really nice weather this week, and I don't have a garage, plus I work 2 jobs. I'm going to do a test run on my nephew's pickup truck first, to get the hang of it, then I'll shine up my baby tomorrow afternoon. Will take pics. Thanks for all your help and advice!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hendjaz
JackieO/Picus, what is your "go to" for black paint? Z5 or Wolfgang's Paint Sealant for example or something else, where durability is nice to have but not essential since I don't mind detailing frequently as needed? You've mentioned good things about Jeffs products and others elsewhere, but what's the killer treatment for black, assuming proper clay, polish/glaze prep work? Like you, I use the Poorboys Spray and Wash regularly for clean up between washes so is there a PB product for blacks or is the EX and EXP best for the lighter colors as indicated here?

So far on black I have used Z2 (two coats) then Wolfgangs Sealant topped with PB's Natty's blue wax. It looks very good but maybe Z5 or others would be better for black so open to suggestions for sure.

Wrong forum, but then same questions for the diamond graphite color for G35 Coupe? Maybe close enough to silver that just go with the recommendations here.

Thanks for any recommendations you have, here or over at CL.
The thing with flat black is everyone has a favorite LSP for it. Assuming the paint is prepared properly and you don't mind a lack of durabilty *my* favorite combo's are Clearkote RMG -> Clearcote Carnauba Wax, or Poorboys EX -> Nattys Blue, but I'm a carnauba'y kind of guy on dark non-metallic cars. Of course if durabilty really isn't a concern you could just lay down some RMG and top it with Souveran.

Some folks prefer the look of sealants, in which case Menzerna FTG -> FMJ is very good, or Werkstatt Prime and AJ, or just straight up Z5pro (the new stuff).

Honestly, Wolfgangs DGS is good stuff, looks a lot like Zaino, so that topped with Nattys is a pretty nice combo. I wouldn't sweat experimenting too much since I doubt you'll notice an appreciable difference vs. that combo.

RE: The EX's, I prefer regular EX on flat colors, and EX-P on metallics. Regular EX has carnauba in it, so you get that glossy glow that you normally get from a wax. EX-P is more like Zaino in that you get a lot of metallic flake pop.

Since DG is a metallic color I'd probably lean towards a sealant topped with a really clear looking wax (one that won't mute the flake), like Nattys Blue or P21S. Although staightup UPP would probably look pretty darn good on DG (I haven't tried that one).

Last edited by JackieO; 06-02-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Thank you JackieO for the very helpful and thorough reply. I agree with your observations about flat paint versus metallic but I didn't realize it until you made the distinction.

The Z2/Wolfgang/Natty blue combo I mentioned had spectacular results (imho) on an Acura RL Lakeshore silver but on a flat black while it as still very good it is not spectacular which is why I asked the question. The distinction you made is right on from my personal experience. The G35 DG color is not too far away from the lakeshore silver so I would also expect you to be right that the combo I used on the lakeshore or one of the others you mentioned for metallic paint should be great on the DG.

You indicated that the Z5 Pro is new. My Z5 bottle is about five months old but it sounds like Zaino may have a new formula out in the Z5 since I got mine. If true, is the new Z5 a significant upgrade?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Originally Posted by JackieO
The thing with flat black is everyone has a favorite LSP for it. Assuming the paint is prepared properly and you don't mind a lack of durabilty *my* favorite combo's are Clearkote RMG -> Clearcote Carnauba Wax, or Poorboys EX -> Nattys Blue, but I'm a carnauba'y kind of guy on dark non-metallic cars.
Sorry in advance for the tangent, but after reading that I had to chime in. Here's a shot of a GM pickup following RMG > EX > NB (with SSR 2.5 and Menzerna FPII up front):

Following up on my original comment about EX-P and UPP, I should've been more specific. By "easier to use" I only meant that EX-P can be used in sunlight, and it is more forgiving if you happen to apply too thick of a coat. As much as I like it, UPP is, without a doubt, my go-to product on just about anything with metallic content, and light colors w/ pearl as well. For what it's worth, here's an example:

Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hendjaz
Thank you JackieO for the very helpful and thorough reply. I agree with your observations about flat paint versus metallic but I didn't realize it until you made the distinction.

The Z2/Wolfgang/Natty blue combo I mentioned had spectacular results (imho) on an Acura RL Lakeshore silver but on a flat black while it as still very good it is not spectacular which is why I asked the question. The distinction you made is right on from my personal experience. The G35 DG color is not too far away from the lakeshore silver so I would also expect you to be right that the combo I used on the lakeshore or one of the others you mentioned for metallic paint should be great on the DG.

You indicated that the Z5 Pro is new. My Z5 bottle is about five months old but it sounds like Zaino may have a new formula out in the Z5 since I got mine. If true, is the new Z5 a significant upgrade?
There are some reviews at Autopia that go through the new Z5 step by step. Some cliff notes: Easier to remove, much better filling ability (the old Z5, despite its claims, didn't fill much at all), more wet/glossy like Z2 and most importantly more depth. One criticism sealants and Zaino in particular have always gotten is that "wrapped in plastic" thing, where they are so glossy and wet and the expense of depth, which is why folks like me stick to carnaubas on flat black (and why I think you were underwhelmed by the combo you used on your flat black); I think Sal took that to heart and tried to give this Z5 more of the "oily black depth" us carnauba guys like so much.

If you want a combo to try on flat black that'll give you more depth, more carnauba glow, at the expense of a little glossy bling, try RMG topped with Clearkote Carnauba Wax, it's a pretty sweet combo.

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Sorry in advance for the tangent, but after reading that I had to chime in. Here's a shot of a GM pickup following RMG > EX > NB (with SSR 2.5 and Menzerna FPII up front)
It's funny, I can always tell when someone's using Nattys Blue. SO freakin' wet. Very nice.