Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing without PC

Hey guys,

I've been reading up and I've learned that my process:

1) Dawn wash
2) Clay Bar
3) Car soap wash
4) Wax

isn't exactly correct. So from reading, I've figured that I need to add a polish after step 3 (I think) to remove the little swirls that you can only see with certain angles of light. I have a WDP so if there's anything special, please let me know.

Basically, I was wondering what polish to buy, keeping in mind that I don't have a PC unfortunately (being 16 and trying to save for some subs/amp). I know the polish has to break down until it "dusts" but I was wondering if this is even feasible without a PC. Thanks so much guys.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Well, first thing that I would say is to quote what Excel (a.k.a Patrick) would probably say, leave the Dawn in the kitchen. Dawn is for dishes, not your pride and joy. From what I have heard, dishwashing detergent will soften your paint which is something that you don't want.

Next, I understand that at 16, you REALLY want that awesome sound system, but my advice would be to take 150 of what you have saved and get a PC so that you can make that car LOOK good now. That would be my priority, but then everyone is different. This being a detailing forum, I would be willing to bet that most of the people here would rather have the car LOOKING good before SOUNDING good.

There are a lot of different polishes out there but to REALLY see a difference you need the mechanical power break down the abrasives to achieve the desired results. The amount of elbow grease that would be needed to achieve the same results would probably make "The Rock" pass out from exhustion.

Invest in the PC or UDM, you will be glad that you did.

Depending on where you live, you might also be able to find someone here that would be willing to help you out with the use of a PC.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Thanks hardrock32tls, that's what I was suspecting, and I'm glad somebody understands the plight of so many 16 year olds.

Anyhow, I'm looking into a job anyhow, so I'll likely invest in a PC ASAP. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced

When I was your age a long time ago, there were only

Orbital buffers available to use with those wool/cotton blend pads. These worked great if you could afford one and knew how to use it so you didnt burn through your paint. The Porter Cable Random Orbital buffers with foam pads make this all so much easier and safer if you are new to this.
I can't count how many vehicles I detailed by hand over the years from a little kid to an adult, BEFORE I got a Porter Cable.
You can do it by hand, it will take longer, but you will have more control of the situation, and as a side benefit, your will get stronger.
There are alot of really good products available now that were only dreams back when I was your age.. I personally like Zaino ZPC-Fusion for swirls and scratches that are not too severe. Even used by hand it does an outstanding job of cleaning, clearing, and leaving a beautiful, smooth, clear surface that is ready for the polish, etc., of your choice.. Tell us how more about your finish - is it really dull, scratched, full of swirls from washing, what color, etc...
Interestingly enough, all the Zaino products are designed to be used by hand.. However, many people use machines to speed up the process, etc., but this is up to the individual.. I always liked doing it by hand because I could totally be in control of how much effort, product, etc, was being used, etc.. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted. DanF
Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

if doin by hand... you'll get pretty good results with einszett...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stokdgs
Orbital buffers available to use with those wool/cotton blend pads. These worked great if you could afford one and knew how to use it so you didnt burn through your paint. The Porter Cable Random Orbital buffers with foam pads make this all so much easier and safer if you are new to this.
I can't count how many vehicles I detailed by hand over the years from a little kid to an adult, BEFORE I got a Porter Cable.
You can do it by hand, it will take longer, but you will have more control of the situation, and as a side benefit, your will get stronger.
There are alot of really good products available now that were only dreams back when I was your age.. I personally like Zaino ZPC-Fusion for swirls and scratches that are not too severe. Even used by hand it does an outstanding job of cleaning, clearing, and leaving a beautiful, smooth, clear surface that is ready for the polish, etc., of your choice.. Tell us how more about your finish - is it really dull, scratched, full of swirls from washing, what color, etc...
Interestingly enough, all the Zaino products are designed to be used by hand.. However, many people use machines to speed up the process, etc., but this is up to the individual.. I always liked doing it by hand because I could totally be in control of how much effort, product, etc, was being used, etc.. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted. DanF

Honestly, my paint isn't bad at all. Its a 2006 WDP Tl, and I've always washed it near weekly and done some sort of wax along with it. I've clayed it 5 or 6 times and the car's barely a year old?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Your be surprised what you can see under the right lighting conditions.....
Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rahulkumar
Honestly, my paint isn't bad at all. Its a 2006 WDP Tl, and I've always washed it near weekly and done some sort of wax along with it. I've clayed it 5 or 6 times and the car's barely a year old?
You only have to clay twice a year. everytime you clay the car, you strip everything that you have applied and leave the clearcoat without any protection. You should clay before applying any sort of long-term protection like a polymer sealant.

Some companies like Zaino recommends washing with Dawn soap. I guess their products bond well to a stripped down finish devoid of any product. Dawn WILL strip all of the waxes from the clear as well as dry out your rubber weather strips. I would not even use it for the tires since it will dry out and crack the rubber.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Your be surprised what you can see under the right lighting conditions.....
Yeah it surprised me as well and this is what led me to believe I needed to polish despite what seems to be a pretty decent exterior normally.

You're the detail guru here so do you think its even worth attempting? Should I just use Zaino as previously suggested?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rahulkumar
Yeah it surprised me as well and this is what led me to believe I needed to polish despite what seems to be a pretty decent exterior normally.

You're the detail guru here so do you think its even worth attempting? Should I just use Zaino as previously suggested?
Polishing always yields higher results vs. the labor involved. I say polish away!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Polishing will accomplish several things:
  • Remove oxidation and other contaminants
  • Correct/remove defects and imperfections
  • Add gloss and reflectivity
  • Provides a sterile surface
You can polish by hand but it is a tiresome and time consuming effort. Polishing is best accomplished via machine (PC) as your hand and arm motions cannot replicate that of a dual action machine. The result is a more consistent finish in a shorter amount of time. However the choice is completely yours. Product selection is always a difficult task and basically comes down to a personal decision. I've used different polishes over the past couple of years and these are my favorites; Optimum, Four Star Body Shop line and PB SSR. These work quite well for me but I'm always willing to try something new.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Advanced

I like to claybar my vehicles every time I get

Ready to do the Zaino treatment to them, which is at least once a year. Their newest product Clear Seal, is said to last up to 9 months. I agree that claybar will remove some or all of your protection, but I have yet to see it on the claybar, so I dont know if this is for certain. But the claybar WILL remove stuff stuck to the paint that falls from the air, etc.. all the time, especiallly if you dont have a garage.
With that said, my F150 black truck gets the treatment twice a year because its outside, and the other 2 vehicles get it once a year because they are garaged.
I have awesome shine and clarity all year long on all 3 because of the great job the ZPC Fusion and now the AIO does for my vehicles BEFORE I put on the Z5/Z2 polishes. However, you can skip the Z's and go directly from say, AIO to Clear Seal and get a great look. They are all interchangeable at any time, so you cant go wrong no matter what you do, as long as you know that ZPC fusion is the strongest cleaner/swirl/scratch remover, the AIO is a milder cleaner only and not much of a scratch remover, and the other Z's and C/S are the different levels of protection, and shine, the C/S being the newest and best protection over your finish of any other..
There are still alot of other products out there that give great results, and protection, but for me and the time I have to work on these, Zaino gives me what I want with no problems, or issues. Its consistent every time and they are always available to personally talk to you and talk you through whatever you want to know about. Yeah, I know, its expensive, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for. My PC lives a life of leasure now. Good luck with your project. DanF