Please Help; Fine Scratches all over brand new 2008 NBP TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help; Fine Scratches all over brand new 2008 NBP TSX

Well, before even picking up my new car I should have read the sticky posts in this board. I am now so this hopefully will never happen again, but the damage has already been done.

Most of the posts from the original thread indicate a good detailer will fix this right up, but any additional expert advice is greatly welcomed.

I'm in search of advice. My heart sank this past Saturday after washing my brand new nighthawk black pearl 2008 TSX. In the sunlight, I realized the brush had put extremely fine horizontal scratches all over the brand new car. Upon realizing this, I applied a coat of wax, and it did help a little, but the scratches are still noticeable in direct sunlight at a distance of about six feet.

So, clearly this is a n00b mistake of monumental proportions. As a result, I have a few questions.

Are these incredibly fine scratches irreparable damage?

I've been reading about claying or completely detailing the car. Would this be a good candidate for the brand new nbp paint? If so, should I do it myself, or leave it to a professional?

Can anyone recommend a good detailer in Columbus, OH?

Thanks,
-iHeif
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear about the mishap....However, its totally recoverable, provided they are minor, and I have no reason to think they arent, being as its new.
I can find you a detailer in your area, or we can discuss treatment as a do it yourselfer, which would actually end up costing about the same. And you would have all the equipment for further care down the road......
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Brush?

Those extremely fine scratches you're seeing are light marring/swirls from said brush. And yes, this can be corrected by polishing the paint.

If you want to do it yourself, you'll need some polishing compounds, a few polishing pads, and a Porter Cable/Ultimate Detailing Machine/Flex/rotary to polish them out with. Since this will be new to you, I'd recommend the PC or UDM.

While ordering the PC/UDM to do the paint correction yourself, you may also want to pick up a few additional supplies as well, such as a couple sheepskin/microfiber wash mitts, a couple grit guards, some microfiber towels, a waffle weave drying towel, a clay bar, and a good sealant/wax.... if you don't have them already.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Yikes, sorry to hear about the mishap....However, its totally recoverable, provided they are minor, and I have no reason to think they arent, being as its new.
I can find you a detailer in your area, or we can discuss treatment as a do it yourselfer, which would actually end up costing about the same. And you would have all the equipment for further care down the road......
Thank you for your reply.

Well, my current game plan is to get it professionally done the first time, then do it myself twice a year for the duration. I'm re-thinking just buying all of the stuff myself though and taking my time giving the new beauty the full treatment this weekend.

I'm pretty confident in my abilities, the first wash was just a total brain lapse thinking the same old bi-weekly wash and wax of my 98 Contour SVT wouldn't hurt the new car.

I currently have an appoint to detail the car this Saturday at a place my mechanic referred me to, which will cost me $100. I was thinking that it'd be better to put two or three coats of polymer on over the course of the entire weekend for about the same cost though.

exceldetail, should we take the conversation off list, or is it OK to talk about products and stuff here in the thread.

My goal for this weekend is two fold. I'd like to repair the swirl marks, which are over the *entire* car, though they're very, very shallow. They're only noticeable at about 6 to 9 inches out of direct sunlight, so I don't think they're even through the clear coat.

Second, I'd like to protect the surface as thoroughly as possible, giving the car a mirror like shine.

I plan to wash the new car each weekend this summer, but I live in an apartment without a good hose, so I'd be interested in products that would allow me to clean the exterior without using a ton of water.

I do have a garage, which should help with rain / dust / pollen issues between layerings.

Any help or advice you could give will be appreciated. I've got my wallet in hand. =)

-iHeif
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Heif, this is the arena for car care. Feel free to discuss products and techniques to your liking. My main goal here is to educate (with everyones assistance) and be able to provide one stop shopping for the enthusiasts who frequent this place. Theres a buttload of folks here with equal or better knowlege then myself, willing to assist folks such as yourself.
Im a little leary of the $100.00 detail though. Make sure you inquire about his technique, which would include machine/rotary practices, products he uses, general condition of his work shop, is he busy, any other references etc. You have a brand new car, treat it as you would yourself, and ask questions before someone starts slapping machinery and products on it.
After all is said and done, protection is imperative. And so is proper maintenance. You can minimize your washing with frequent light detailing, which may or may not include quick detailing in conjunction with a Caif. Duster. Some like the CD's, some dont care for them. Im sort of middle of the road. If I have time, and the condition warrants a quick cleaning with the CD, I will do it. But my available time for quick detailing is somewhat limited. I usually suffice with a wash about every three weeks or so.
Also, perform a search for Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. Great for apt/condo dwellers such as yourself, and a lot of us on here. The stuff sells like crazy, for one reason. It works.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As stated, a $100 detail isn't a professional-level detail, and many times they may introduce more damage than you started with.

If you would like for me to take a look at your car, I would be more than happy to. I live over on the east side.