Plan to do my first detailing. exceldeail order and advices needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan to do my first detailing. exceldeail order and advices needed?

I am totally new, never ever do detailing by using machine. So I really need your kind advices.

Car information: 2005 Acura TSX, color is Night hawk black Perl.

1) It has some swirls, as you can see, it seems Fine swirls, right?
2) What the hell of those tiny small white dots (second and third pics)? How can I remove them?
3) What should I do with those chips on the hood (fourth pic)?
4) planning to clay->white pad with swirl remover (what kind?)->red pad with polishing/or just glaze product (what kind?)
5) I don't have garage, can I do these under sun?

I want to order from exceldetail.com: UDM by Porter Cable w/ Orange/White/Red 5.5'' Erasures, 3 Supreme MF's.

What other things should I order?

Pics:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5200/dsc2260.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/512/dsc2267.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1669/dsc2262.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2130/dsc2263.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2738/dsc2266.jpg
Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
The Detailer

1) The swirls look pretty bad and I wouldn't necessarily regard them as fine swirls. However, they aren't really deep swirls either from what I can tell but I could be wrong.
2) Those tiny small white dots could be anything... overspray, tree sap, industrial fallout, etc.
3) As for those chips in your hood, you could fill them in, wet sand, compound, polish and finish. However, this is a pretty lengthy process and requires some experience/time.
4) It really depends on what kind of pads and compounds/polishes you'll be using. Every manufacturer has different color designations for different abrasive levels.
5) You may be able to do this in the sun but it all depends on the products you're working with. Most products tend to suggest being in the shade but there are a few brand names such as Poorboy's that allows you use their products in the full sun.

There's PLENTY of things you could order and the list never really ends to be honest. It's really all a matter of how much you want to spend.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to order from exceldetail.com: UDM by Porter Cable w/ Orange/White/Red 5.5'' Erasures, 3 Supreme MF's.
Having not hit it with a UDM/PC leaves it a little harder for us to recommend a perfect prescirption for you. I can say with absolute certainty, The Optimum Trio is a great place to start. And you need to start somewhere to get the paint cleaned up for further evaluation (if necessary) I can safely say, and say with confidence, you can alleviate and/or minimize a good 85%+ of those swirls with the Optimum Hyper Compound, Compound and Polish. The Orange, White and Red pads are pretty standard for most swirl minimization work. I wouldnt put it past a yellow pad either though, as I did detect some water spotting in the pics I was able to view.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Question...

Once you do your first round with the UDM...

Like let's say he is able to lift 50% of the swirls...on his first detail attempt.

When he details again...would it at all make swirl removal easier based on what he had done prior?

Or has no bearing...?

Hope that made sense.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

He will reach a point of diminishing return sooner or later. Does it get easier....not at all. Its when your so close, is when it gets more difficult. You keep saying to yourself, "Just a little more, just a little more......." You keep striving to get closer to perfection.
When you fist start, the results are rather astounding to say the least, and this unfortunately (Or fortunately) is where the addiction begins, lol. BTDT..........(Been there done that!)
You have to admit, its serious fun though!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 PM

Well...I never got THERE where it was perfect.

So I kind of gave up trying to remove more scratches because I wasn't sure I had what I needed to do it.

But...when I get some more funds.

I'm going to be ordering some more product to go deeper and see if I can achieve some better results.

It's addicting though.

I'm going to practicing on my GF's car next...see if I can achieve a better job than on mine.

Her car is darker so it'll be easier for me to see the paint's defects...silver was tough to work with.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Racer

the udm may not have enough power, like a rotary or flex random orbital.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
Well...I never got THERE where it was perfect.

I'm going to be ordering some more product to go deeper and see if I can achieve some better results.

Sometimes they are just too deep to get out .. you also have to remember that the clear is only so thick and you can go through it. The clear also has a tendency to fail if polished too thin. This won't be evident to you the day you polish it but can show up weeks later as checking ( looks like tiny chicken tracks ).
Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Order placed! excited!
Order #: 74031
Date entered: Friday, May 1, 2009
Payment Method: Credit/Debit Card

How did you hear about Exceldetail.com? Internet search

What detailing forum? Username? If none, put ''none''. maclion
acurazine.com-Wash & Wax

What influenced your purchase with us? Customer Service

Shipping to: Home

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 8oz $ 6.99
Quantity: 1
Item total: $ 6.99

Danase Pad Conditioner 16oz. $ 11.95
Item total: $ 11.95

Optimum Trio Sampler 8oz $ 27.79
Item total: $ 27.79

5'' Propel Backing Plate $ 15.99
Item total: $ 15.99

Excel Erasure 5.5'' Polishing Kit $ 19.99
Item total: $ 19.99

Subtotal: $ 82.71
Shipping and Handling: $ 12.99
Order Total: $ 95.70
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Should I use optimum polish with white pad first for safe? If not working, then use white pad with compound 2 ...

Hyper compound seems very aggressive, how to use this compound (color of pad, speed, pressure..?) . Or I should not use it at all.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
No room in

Uhhh... do you already have a PC/UDM or did you forget to add that?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Instructor

I already have one . Thanks for your reminder

Originally Posted by Takran
Uhhh... do you already have a PC/UDM or did you forget to add that?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
No room in

Originally Posted by maclion
I already have one . Thanks for your reminder
Just making sure! Would be a big kick in the pants if you forgot that LOL.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
I don't know if a white pad is harsh enough to remove those swirls, but maybe i'm wrong, you may want to think about an orange pad
Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

You have many options for sure. I would start with the Polish and white, then proceed to Polish with Orange if need be (Which I think your going to need anyway) Any time someone mentions "swirls" I can guarantee your going to need at least Orange with Polish at a minimum. Orange with compound is not out of the equation either. Hyper maybe for isolated area or trouble spots. Good mix and match products for sure...........
Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Do I need to 'clean' pads after using for a while (e.g. 4*4 sq feet?), and how? I just ordered each of colors.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Another questions:
Can I use Optimum polish 2 to polish bumper (plastic) area?
Where should I use mask tape

Last edited by maclion; 05-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
OP --

The 5.5" orange pad paired with Opt compound, moderate pressure on speed 6, moving slowly works great on our paint. Do follow it up with Opt polish on a white at the very least, and if you can, use a finishing pad with some FS UPP, or even go the extra step, Opt Finish on a black followed by the UPP on red.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Instructor

I am glad to hear from TSXer. Thanks your advices.

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
OP --

The 5.5" orange pad paired with Opt compound, moderate pressure on speed 6, moving slowly works great on our paint. Do follow it up with Opt polish on a white at the very least, and if you can, use a finishing pad with some FS UPP, or even go the extra step, Opt Finish on a black followed by the UPP on red.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Hi, Patrick. It seems that Optimum PoliSeal is more useful for me than hyper compound. I just wonder if you can replace hyper compound with poliseal for my order?

Originally Posted by exceldetail
You have many options for sure. I would start with the Polish and white, then proceed to Polish with Orange if need be (Which I think your going to need anyway) Any time someone mentions "swirls" I can guarantee your going to need at least Orange with Polish at a minimum. Orange with compound is not out of the equation either. Hyper maybe for isolated area or trouble spots. Good mix and match products for sure...........
Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
The Detailer

Should I use optimum polish with white pad first for safe? If not working, then use white pad with compound 2 ...

Hyper compound seems very aggressive, how to use this compound (color of pad, speed, pressure..?) . Or I should not use it at all.
You can try this out from least aggressive to most aggressive:
- White pad and OPII
- Orange pad and OPII
- White pad and OCII
- Orange pad and OCII
- White pad and HC
- Orange pad and HC

Hi, Patrick. It seems that Optimum PoliSeal is more useful for me than hyper compound. I just wonder if you can replace hyper compound with poliseal for my order?
Keep in mind what PoliSeal is... it's an all-in-one product and if you're expecting some correction from it, you won't get all that much compared to OPII, OCII or HC for that matter. PS is more for those really quick details or if your vehicle is in pretty good condition already.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Ohh, I thought poliseal is sealant for my last step after polishing. I am wrong?

Originally Posted by Denzil
Keep in mind what PoliSeal is... it's an all-in-one product and if you're expecting some correction from it, you won't get all that much compared to OPII, OCII or HC for that matter. PS is more for those really quick details or if your vehicle is in pretty good condition already.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 PM

Good info...going to help me too!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
The Detailer

Ohh, I thought poliseal is sealant for my last step after polishing. I am wrong?
It can be if that's what you want to use it for but you'd be better off with FS UPP or Optimum Opti-Seal as it would offer better protection properties.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Thanks. So I ordered nano seal.

Another quick question: one pad is enough for whole car swirls removing? (I plan to use orange with Opt Compound/or polish). Could I use tooth brush to clean residues on pad?

It can be if that's what you want to use it for but you'd be better off with FS UPP or Optimum Opti-Seal as it would offer better protection properties.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Another quick question: one pad is enough for whole car swirls removing? (I plan to use orange with Opt Compound/or polish). Could I use tooth brush to clean residues on pad?
Nano as in Surf City nano Seal? Or Optimum Optiseal......
usually two pads (colors) per vehicle. If you have to swap products mid stream, you wont have to stop and wash one out to reuse. Its nice having at least 2 Orange, and 2 white on hand in your bag of arsenal......
Old 05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
The Detailer

One pad CAN be enough if you wanted to but ideally it's better to have two of the same pad at the very minimum. You never know what could happen to your pad.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Thanks all your kind suggestions, but the more I read, the more questions

I read this:http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...work-3376.html
The OP said, Opt does not work well with UDM. Or maybe the OP use too much compounds?

My question is how much compound should I use for 18"*18" area (5.5" orange pad), if I want to get decent swirl removing. Also I should watch out the dryness, right? If the compound begin to dry, I need to wipe it out, and if necessary, reapply compound.

Wong: your are TSXer, so maybe you can give me some specific advices.

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
OP --

Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Geeez...what a bunch of trash. Thats all I can say.
Ive been using it for years, with a PC or UDM,and have had nothing but great success with it.....although it didnt do squat on a Vette's hard clear coat. Ive removed heavy water spotting and serious swirls with it..........
Heres some clarity:
Optimum Polish, use for very light spiderwebbing or paint in great shape.
Compound, use for wash and dry induced swirl marks and/or oxidized paint.
Hyper Compound, use for heavy wash and dry induced, neglected paint and swirls.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor

I believe Opt is very good products. Look what Wong did on black Honda (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/fridays-detail-knightrydervs-2000-black-accord-%2Alots-reflection-shots%2A-720605/).

So I think maybe the OP still use too much, or bad pad selection (color or size). What your recommendation?

Hi, Patric, does my order shipped? Dont want to ask, but cann't wait to try Opt on this weekend.

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Geeez...what a bunch of trash. Thats all I can say.
Ive been using it for years, with a PC or UDM,and have had nothing but great success with it.....although it didnt do squat on a Vette's hard clear coat. Ive removed heavy water spotting and serious swirls with it..........
Heres some clarity:
Optimum Polish, use for very light spiderwebbing or paint in great shape.
Compound, use for wash and dry induced swirl marks and/or oxidized paint.
Hyper Compound, use for heavy wash and dry induced, neglected paint and swirls.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
The Detailer

Thanks all your kind suggestions, but the more I read, the more questions

I read this:http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...work-3376.html
The OP said, Opt does not work well with UDM. Or maybe the OP use too much compounds?

My question is how much compound should I use for 18"*18" area (5.5" orange pad), if I want to get decent swirl removing. Also I should watch out the dryness, right? If the compound begin to dry, I need to wipe it out, and if necessary, reapply compound.

Wong: your are TSXer, so maybe you can give me some specific advices.
You have to keep in mind that the OP doesn't have very much experience with Optimum products, therefore he still isn't sure how to work the product correctly. I personally don't use Optimum myself on a regular basis (although I'll be testing Optimum's version II products hopefully soon) but I have used their version I products with great success.

I'm not sure what version of Optimum you're using but IME with OC & OP, you really didn't have to worry too much about your pad drying up, especially with OP. Plus it's not really difficult to tell when your pad is drying up and the only possibility I could see this happening is with OC. OP has oils in it that allow you to work it for quite a while on your paint's surface which is what made OP such a great versatile polish.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi, Patric, does my order shipped? Dont want to ask, but cann't wait to try Opt on this weekend.
MZ, Optimum 8oz Pol II was wiped out last Thursday, but I had ordered more prior to your order on Friday. Shipment arrives tomorrow! Yours ships tomorrow, you should have before weekend!!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Instructor

One more question here: how should I apply SC nano seal? Using PC or hand pad? If using hand, the microfiber pad sold at walmart is ok?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:06 AM
The Detailer

One more question here: how should I apply SC nano seal? Using PC or hand pad? If using hand, the microfiber pad sold at walmart is ok?
It's really up to your preference.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Instructor

If you put the optimum final polish over the optimum poliseal doesnt that remove the sealant you just put on?

For example, if you did optimum polish II, poliseal, then final polish.
Should final polish replace poliseal? Does it remove the benefits of poliseal?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

The Finish Polish and Poliseal are different products. Pol II and Finish Polish are polishing/beautifying products. PoliSeal is that, plus a protectant. PoliSeal would present a level of protection, that the Pol II and FP do not. So to answer your question:
  • Pol II
  • FP
  • PS
That would be the appropriate order of applications.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks Denzil.
But I found this from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txl7stuTncM
So, it only recommends using hand pad. I want to use PC red pad. If not can I use the red pad (coming from exceldetail PC combo) by hand?

Also do you suggest to use IPA (rubbing alcohol) wipe down after using Opt Polish+white pad?

When doing Opt Polish with white pad, what's the suggested PC apeed, arm speed, and pressure?

Lots of questions

Thanks!

It's really up to your preference.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Isn't it sort of standard with....

Apply at 4 and finish on 6.

?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 AM
The Detailer

Thanks Denzil.
But I found this from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txl7stuTncM
So, it only recommends using hand pad. I want to use PC red pad. If not can I use the red pad (coming from exceldetail PC combo) by hand?

Also do you suggest to use IPA (rubbing alcohol) wipe down after using Opt Polish+white pad?

When doing Opt Polish with white pad, what's the suggested PC apeed, arm speed, and pressure?

Lots of questions

Thanks!
It's more of a guideline, it's still up to you how you want to use it really. If it were me, I'd still apply it via PC or by hand but it would definitely be with a red pad.

I would definitely suggest doing an IPA wipe down after any polish and before LSP. As far as using OP and a white pad, I would go speed 4 to spread the product thoroughly then promptly jump to speed 6 to get maximum correction capabilities. As far as arm speed, I'd go like 1.5 to 2 inches per second on a 1.5' x 1.5' panel. Light to moderate pressure will do. If you polish enough, you'll get used to it and will eventually know how much pressure you need to apply.

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
Isn't it sort of standard with....

Apply at 4 and finish on 6.

?
Yep, exactly. However, the method is slightly different for rotary machines.

Last edited by Denzil; 05-08-2009 at 01:08 AM.