PC orbital vs. cheaper models

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005 | 08:58 AM
bluebullitt

PC orbital vs. cheaper models

I have an '03 Agean blue TL-S which has swirls and a few light scratches. Everyone talks about needing a PC buffer to remove swirls/marring from your paint. Can you get good results with a cheaper random orbital model such as purchased at a chain store or discount store (wal-mart or auto-zone)? I have one from wal-mart that was about $25, but don't want to damage my paint.
Old 07-22-2005 | 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

The buffers found at local auto stores are usually not good for removing swirls from the paint. If anything, they're ok for applying and removing wax. I use to have a craftsman buffer about 10 years ago which did a decent job.
Damaging paint with a PC is pretty tough to do unless you're doing something really wrong. Keep in mind, the PC isn't the only cost to consider. You have to consider the cost of pads as well.
Old 07-22-2005 | 10:39 AM
Homeless

I have a makita model, works great.

And you can do damage with any orbital polisher if you don't read the instructions posted here and in other auto-detailing forums. Special areas to pay extra attention...near bends in the body panels, such as the roof line and a-pillar...edges of painted panels, such as near the edges of the hood, trunk...and pay a lot of attention while using on the bumper(painted polyurethane) as they have a lower threshold for heat and the paint will come off if you stay in one place too long or use the buffer on too high of a speed.
Old 07-22-2005 | 10:47 AM
bluebullitt

Thanks for the reply and the pics. Awesome finish on your car. My car is just like yours, just not as polished.
Looks like I need to shell some bucks out on a PC and learn to polish myself, as is would cost more to have it professionally done. I just want to make sure and not do any damage to my finish.
Also, what do you do about those annoying stone chips you get on your bumper and hood? I don't want to use touchup paint and have globs on the paint. I understand some people use toothpics on the spots to apply the paint and have good results.
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Chef Chris, I'm guessing you're refering to a rotary and the comments on the caution areas. You're more likely to do damage with a rotarty on the edges, painted bumpers, etc. The PCs don't generate enough heat to do the damage.

turbo6265, Thanks for the compliments.
Here's a great primer for the PC. If you hang out on Autopia long enough, your credit card bills will quickly add up.
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=47

As far as dealing with the chips in the hood, it takes a lot of time to properly repair them with toothpicks, sanding, reapplying, polishing, finishing,etc. Some of them I just live with.
I can't find the link to the writeup on chip repair right now.
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Here it is....the chip repair thingy
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=27
Old 07-22-2005 | 02:03 PM
bluebullitt

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
Here it is....the chip repair thingy
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=27
Appreciate all the info! It all sounds like a little work, but well worth it. I'm a do it yourselfer anyway..... you know, if you want it done right, huh? The before and afters pics are amazing. I'm on the hunt for a PC 7424 ....can't wait to give it a go! I'll have to take some before and after pics, although it may be a few weeks will I can get to it. Thanx
Old 07-22-2005 | 05:44 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
Chef Chris, I'm guessing you're refering to a rotary and the comments on the caution areas. You're more likely to do damage with a rotarty on the edges, painted bumpers, etc. The PCs don't generate enough heat to do the damage.
I thought the PC had higher RPM's than a regular 9" orbital.
Old 07-22-2005 | 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chef chris
I thought the PC had higher RPM's than a regular 9" orbital.

PC Random Orbit polisher is different than a rotary which is a constant/ variable speed buffer that does not have a random orbit feature. Rotaries have to be used properly because the constant speed and rotation of the rotary can cause more damage than good to those who are not used to it. Professional detailers use both for uses in varying conditions of finishes.

The locally available 6", 8", 9" or 10" orbital polishers are nothing more than wax "applicators" that make wax/polish application easier and faster because they simulate the orbital hand motion that you would otherwise do manually. They also cannot use different grades of pads since their polishing "heads" require a bonnet attachment. They do not have the power to actually break down polishing compounds as they simply stop rotating if you put down any form of pressure.

Body shops use the large 10" buffers just to apply last step finishing waxes but use rotaries (and sometimes variable speed drills with pad attachments) with varying pads for swirl removal.

PC 7424/7336 are more sophisticated "random orbit" polisher that has variable and more consistent power than the cheap ones.