Paint correction done last month but..

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Paint correction done last month but..

The guy did an excellent job on removing swirl but needs another light pass here and there, but I've noticed the compound is still there in some spots on the paint. It's hard to see it because my car is white but its not that easy to take off. It requires some amount of force with windex. I fixed a few spots but now I've noticed it in more spots, like almost half of my rear bumper. Not looking forward to removing this the way I have because I don't want to reintroduce swirl again. Any suggestions? I've clayed and waxed my car since but still stays there...
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Try a Dawn wash.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
alcohol wipe down
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
let that person fix it.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
The guy did an excellent job on removing swirl but needs another light pass here and there, but I've noticed the compound is still there in some spots on the paint. It's hard to see it because my car is white but its not that easy to take off. It requires some amount of force with windex. I fixed a few spots but now I've noticed it in more spots, like almost half of my rear bumper. Not looking forward to removing this the way I have because I don't want to reintroduce swirl again. Any suggestions? I've clayed and waxed my car since but still stays there...
first off why are you using windex on your paint? It's for glass! You wouldn't wash your dishes with bath soap would you?

Use a good wash solution such as a citrus based one and it'll help cut through the caked on polish. Let it sit for a little bit and then hose off and then try wiping it off with more solution and a wash mitt.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
First off ;
1) Why would you clay and wax just a month after you had paint correction?
2) Did you norice this "before" you clayed & waxed?
3) Windex contains ammonia and is not good for paint. Also Widex has no lubricating qualities and will help induce marring.

???
Old 09-21-2011, 02:46 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
First off ;
1) Why would you clay and wax just a month after you had paint correction?
2) Did you norice this "before" you clayed & waxed?
3) Windex contains ammonia and is not good for paint. Also Widex has no lubricating qualities and will help induce marring.

???
I clayed my car a month after because I drove it in the rain for a few days and got loaded with iron dots, like it usually does regardless. The polish is caked on really good, I've tried prepsol, rubbing alcohol, wax, clay bar ect and they all did nothing.. only thing that worked was a micro towel with a little windex and rubbing in worked. I noticed some polish marks as he was doing the work but I just wiped them off, so these are the same polish except I didn't catch them from the paint correction. Thank for the input everyone.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

I clayed my car a month after because I drove it in the rain for a few days and got loaded with iron dots, like it usually does regardless. The polish is caked on really good, I've tried prepsol, rubbing alcohol, wax, clay bar ect and they all did nothing.. only thing that worked was a micro towel with a little windex and rubbing in worked. I noticed some polish marks as he was doing the work but I just wiped them off, so these are the same polish except I didn't catch them from the paint correction. Thank for the input everyone.
Not to pick things apart but you don't get iron dots just driving a car in the rain for a few days .. they will accumulate over a winter etc ... but not in a few days.

I suspect these dots are something other than rail dust ... more inclined to think they are road tar etc which isn't something you use a clay bar for.

I am suspecting the polish your seeing is more residue from poor lube when claying. The other reason is when you first noticed then you just "wiped them right off" , now you cant just "wipe them off" you need to use aggression. Polish doesn't get noticably harder to remove over a period of time.

Needless to say I wouldn't want to see your car out in good light now, it will be full of marring.

If you would have come here prior to your actions the suggestion would have been to take it back to the detailer ( if he was a detailer ) and have him correct it.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Thank you everyone for your help, I will contact the guy who did my detailing.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I've tried prepsol, rubbing alcohol, wax, clay bar ect and they all did nothing.. .
Just as a heads up to you and others using Prepsol;

The Xylene in it attacks the all important "resin system"of the clear coat.
Starts the "break down"of the resin system. This can promote clear coat failure.
It is a great product, for when one is going to do a refinish. Eg repaint.

Cleans off many things, such as dimethal silicones, waxes, tar deposits, etc, very agressive.
Just read the ingrediants of the product, xylene, etc, which are clorinated solvents, they are listed on many paint products for cleaning the guns, etc. there many health warnings listed.
And, these components are toxic to humans, so do what you wish, just be aware.

Source Ron Ketcham