Orbital Buffer fools and Zaino nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Question Orbital Buffer fools and Zaino nuts...

OK, so I got an orbital buffer for Christmas.

But I began thinking... Do people use these things when they're using Zaino as their primary protectant? Considering a little itty bitty drop is to cover quite a large area, I'm wondering how a buffer would do for this type of application?

I'm still using Blackfire, but the concepts between that polymer and Zaino are the same; a little bit goes a long way.

So, what is the best approach when using a polymer like this with an orbital? Should I stay far far away from the machine and continue applying and removing by hand?

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I haven't yet, but have read many people have A lot of success w/ zaino and the orbitals. They actually say they are able to get more out of a little amount of product w/ it

I usually don't mind applying my LSP's by hand, but if i'm doing multiple cars i'm not affraid to bust out the machine, or if I've already polished w/ the machine i'll apply my LSP also w/ it.

I still buff everything off by hand though, even though I own a few MF bonnets
Old 01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I would not use Zaino with an orbital. You will waste way too much product in the pad. The pads soaks up so much product that the time you'll save will be eaten up by the $$ you'll spend on more Z.

I sometimes use a microfiber bonnet to remove the Zaino residue when doing a final once-over. Definitely makes cleanup quicker.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
let me find the link to it the thread I'm referring to where they all said they got more product use using the PC
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ino+by+machine
Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used Zaino with a grey finishing pad on my Porter Cable. I use the same or less amount of Z by hand OR by PC. There are some tricks to using it with PC. SPritz the pad with Z6 before starting, the "dot" the pad with Z all around. Set the pc at about 4 then go to town. Doing it by PC, I find it easeir to spread, and spread evenly. Just takes a little practice to get the right method down.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

I have been using Klasse AIO and their Selant Glaze for a year, and it is the best long lasting product I have found. I did my white S10 pick up last April, and it is still beading water, even after spending the summer at my beach cottage. Yesterday I used my Porter Cable orbital to AIO my son's silver 2002 CRV. It really cleaned the finish. I applied the Selant Glaze by hand, as it does not do well by machine according to Autotopia forum.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by claud
I have been using Klasse AIO and their Selant Glaze for a year, and it is the best long lasting product I have found. I did my white S10 pick up last April, and it is still beading water, even after spending the summer at my beach cottage. Yesterday I used my Porter Cable orbital to AIO my son's silver 2002 CRV. It really cleaned the finish. I applied the Selant Glaze by hand, as it does not do well by machine according to Autotopia forum.

i've found the easiest way to insure complete and thin enough coverage of SG is to use the PC and a black/grey Lake Country pad. spray a small amount(put SG into a light mist spray bottle) onto the pad and work one panel at a time. the heat generated from the PC allows the SG to flash much faster and can be removed after the entire car is finished. if any streaking occurs upon removal you can use a QD to help and it will come right off.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it would work but i believe sal suggests to do it by hand