Optimum No-Rinse tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Optimum No-Rinse tips?

I realize that there are probably other threads, but with so many different ways to shorten the name, I may not find what I'm looking for. There's a thread on autopia, but most of the tutorials are on YouTube - a no-no at work, where I have the time to read about this stuff.

Did my first washes Saturday and yesterday with it. I mixed up the recommended ratio in my sprayer. I'm exceedingly happy with how long this has lasted (five cars, and I still have at least a gallon left!).

What I wonder though, is if I'm doing it right. I spray down the car with a low power hose, then soak all the surfaces in the spray. I put about a gallon of water and the appropriate amount of ONR in a bucket so I could soak the mitt and get a bit more 'slickness.' Then dried with sprays of OQD.

Is this the best way to do it? Seems like I waste a lot more product and water with the bucket, at least compared to how much is left in my sprayer.

And a question about using ONR for lube - I mixed up a bottle using the recommended ratio, but it seemed like I was using an inordinate amount compared to, say, the Mother's Showtime or OQD that I was using before. Should I use a stronger mix, and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks. My current project is cleaning up my Accord to sell. If log-type threads are allowed, I'll post up what I've got. Otherwise, hopefully you'll see the finished product in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a definite learning curve with ONR. Why are you using a hose for?? ONR is supposed to get rid of that. How much solution do you have in a sprayer, 2 gallons? I have the .5 gallon from Pat and go through it damn near every time I wash my car. I ounce in 2 gallons is not alot of product, unless your purchasing the smallest size available, but if ONR washes is something you plan on doing, I would spring for the gallon size.

With regards to ONR as lube, I like the ratio that is QD strength rather than lube strength..give that a try..what you need to remember is that if you buy a gallon of ONR, think of what you might save if you do alot of details and now will not have to buy separate lube for your claying...and QD spray when doing door jambs...it has alot of great benefits.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
I use ONRMW in the winter only. I use a 1 gallon sprayer mixed with 1 oz of ONRWS and a bucket with water and ONRWS, same mix. I spray one section of the car at time and then use a MF towel and dip it in the bucket and wipe the sprayed section in a straight line, no rubbing, no swirling. Dirt comes right off. Then dry with a separate MF and you're done. Pretty simple and results are excellent.

You don't need to spray the car down with water first and you don't need a QD.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrclrider
There is a definite learning curve with ONR. Why are you using a hose for?? ONR is supposed to get rid of that. How much solution do you have in a sprayer, 2 gallons? I have the .5 gallon from Pat and go through it damn near every time I wash my car. I ounce in 2 gallons is not alot of product, unless your purchasing the smallest size available, but if ONR washes is something you plan on doing, I would spring for the gallon size.

With regards to ONR as lube, I like the ratio that is QD strength rather than lube strength..give that a try..what you need to remember is that if you buy a gallon of ONR, think of what you might save if you do alot of details and now will not have to buy separate lube for your claying...and QD spray when doing door jambs...it has alot of great benefits.
I got the impression that I still needed to rinse. Check, I'll not do that next time. Might make a difference.

The Showtime came in the clay kit, so I tried that first. Didn't want to waste the OQD. I bought the 32oz ONR (along with a 32oz OQD) as a trial.

Originally Posted by rlerman
I use ONRMW in the winter only. I use a 1 gallon sprayer mixed with 1 oz of ONRWS and a bucket with water and ONRWS, same mix. I spray one section of the car at time and then use a MF towel and dip it in the bucket and wipe the sprayed section in a straight line, no rubbing, no swirling. Dirt comes right off. Then dry with a separate MF and you're done. Pretty simple and results are excellent.

You don't need to spray the car down with water first and you don't need a QD.
I used OQD to clean up any spots I didn't dry correctly, or looked dirty for whatever reason after a regular wash. Guess it's just a habit now.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I got the impression that I still needed to rinse. Check, I'll not do that next time. Might make a difference.

The Showtime came in the clay kit, so I tried that first. Didn't want to waste the OQD. I bought the 32oz ONR (along with a 32oz OQD) as a trial.

I used OQD to clean up any spots I didn't dry correctly, or looked dirty for whatever reason after a regular wash. Guess it's just a habit now.
I take it your talking about the OQD bought as such not the ONR mixed to QD strength?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Banned

Indeed.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it says no rinse, but i like to do a quick rinse before, i just dont rinse the ONR off. just an extra precaution to move some of the bigger particles off the vehicle.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bo0sty
I know it says no rinse, but i like to do a quick rinse before, i just dont rinse the ONR off. just an extra precaution to move some of the bigger particles off the vehicle.
Highly recommended if its beyond a typical NRWS job.
Im glad you realize NRWS limitations....
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bo0sty
That's what I did to the Accord, and my mitts were still filthy. Should have used a regular wash. But, no big deal.