ok, so which kit to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:48 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, so which kit to get?

what kit should i get for my new 7424? ive read nothing but good with woofgang, pinnacle, pinnacle xmt, and others.

by the way, im talking about the swirl removal kits...

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolfgang-pc-kit.html
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pin450.html
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pixmtliswrek.html (this one also has an intermediate swirl kit, its at the bottom of this link)

what is my best choice for a white tl?

thanks guys, im excited to get started!

Last edited by Bambo2888; 11-28-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Bah............
Your better off assessing your exact needs and purchase accordingly. Dont buy what your not going to need.
You can make your own kit at exceldetail.com, enter "acurazine" at the promo, and get 10% off non discounted items......
Old 11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

likewise, what products do you suggest... don't just say "its your own preference", im looking for some experienced suggestions for products you think would work best on my moderately swirled WDP... i need everything (ie pads, chemicals, etc)

also, is there a specific "piece your own kit" option?

thanks again

Last edited by Bambo2888; 11-28-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would highly recommend using Optimum products for your polish selections...or even go with an Optimum kit if you must get a kit vs. piecing something together. exceldetail is right that you should pick what you need rather than buy things in a kit that you may never use.

so, for a very flexible polish selection...consider getting Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Polish. the two together are pretty fool proof...and a very good deal for the $$$.

for pads...i have only used LC pads so that is all that i can recommend. advice that will carry across product lines: get two of each pad type that you get...this will save time while polishing when you don't have to stop and clean the one you have. it is also nice as a backup in case a pad fails (falls apart...gets torn, etc)...and you are not stuck without in the middle of a detail.

quick detailer + no rinse wash + claybar lube: get ONR!!! (Optimum No Rinse Wash) GREAT value since you get multiple products in one from it. works perfectly as a polish removal aid as you detail too.

ok...i'm tired of typing...i'll let other people chime in!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Im not sure I would go with the Optimum HC, being as this is a new venture. Optimum Compound would be safer for moderate swirls IMO. for pads...
i have only used LC pads so that is all that i can recommend
The Erasure are Lake Country pads..........
Orange for the more severe horizontalswirls, and white for the vertical panels may be appropriate. 2 of the most used pads is highly recommended, with the exception of the sealing pad, in this case, green or grey......
quick detailer + no rinse wash + claybar lube: get ONR!!! [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] (Optimum No Rinse Wash) GREAT value since you get multiple products in one from it. works perfectly as a polish removal aid as you detail too.
Thats a new one on me..........lol
But QD, Clay are mandatory, and NRWS would be nice if your back east and have a heated garage for winter washing......
Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

excel, what are your suggestions...
Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

also, you said that i wont use parts of those kits, which parts would i not use?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry for not being more specific regarding the OHC/OP, excel...i should have mentioned that getting those two would allow mixing for varied aggressiveness and maximum flexibility...rather than buying all of the Optimum products, etc.

i agree though that OC would be sufficient for moderate swirls and i didn't mean to make this more complex than it is.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Kit #1, Glaze would be useless.........and Im not sure the total swirl removal would be enough. Optimum is much stronger and easier to work with, AND............Better for one just beginning PC use.
Kit #2, Liquid Nubas? Not in my world.......
#3 sounds good but your left without a sealant. And I dont think the finishing glaze :
What can’t be removed with the cleaners is filled in with carnauba to create a smooth
is a worthy product. Nubas melt in direct sun, and well, so much for the above statement.....
Para, your correct, it would make for more versatilty.....Im jusy concerned about the HC though, its pretty serious stuff!

and i didn't mean to make this more complex than it is.
Not a problem! It opens it up for thought and discussion!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Detailing products ‘Starter kit’:
1.Car wash concentrate-
2.Wash and Rinse buckets (1- each)-
3.Wash mitt (2)-
4.Waffle Weave drying towel (1)-
5.Detailer’s clay-
6.Polish (es)-
7.Micro fibre towels (4)-
8.Foam Applicators (4)-
9.Carnauba wax and/or Polymer sealant-
10.Quick Detailing (QD) Spray-
11.Leather cleaner and a Conditioner-
12.Vinyl dressing-
13.Glass cleaner-
14.Wheel brush-
15.Wheel cleaner-
16.Tire dressing-
17.Vinyl dressing -

Any of the forum sponsers will help you with specific products

I would also strongly suggest purchasing a random orbital buffer (Porter-Cable 7336SP) and some appropriate foam pads (See also Foam Pad Starter Kits)

a) Foam Pad Starter Kit:
Lake County constant pressure foam pad, this is essentially a flat 6-inch pad which uses a patented technology layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate to absorb off-axis movements while keeping the pressure of the pad on the surface constant.

These European pads are made from engineered, thermally reticulated (exploded open cell) foams with a 99% open cell structure, specifically designed for compounding, polishing and finishing. Constant Pressure’s blue foam backing absorbs any unwanted ‘off-axis’ polishing motions.

Constant Pressure Foam Pad Starter Kit:
•1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)
•2-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)
•2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)
•2-Finishing Pad (*Black)
•1-5-inch Flexible Urethane Backing Plate
I would also recommend the Optimum line of products (www.topoftheline.com) as they are ideal for the inexperienced or neophyte user. The polishes remain clear enabling you to see wither the imperfections have been removed.

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads, they can be purchased at www.properautocare.com.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 AM
they go wooooot wooooot

so everyone says optimum over pinnacle and wolfgang?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

For a first time user, I would agree with the Optimum products. All the previous comments just goes to show you how a truly exceptional product this is. I particularly like the longer working time. As far as pads go - I would as a minimum get a 1) finishing pad 2) light polishing pad 3) light cutting pad and opt for a 6" BP instead of the 5". My preference for a sealant would be Four Star UPP, hands down. And I definetly like DG AW as a QD. BTW, claying is highly recommended before polishing to rid the surface of imbedded contaminants. As a thoughtful reminder, surface prep is a must. In other words, the painted surface must be smooth and free of any defects (swirls, marring, micro-scratches) allowing the sealant to bond. The result will be a reflective and revealing glossy shine.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bambo2888
so everyone says optimum over pinnacle and wolfgang?
Pinnacle and Wolfgang are outstanding products in their own right, but as far as polishes go, IMO, I think Optimum has them beat.