NXT Durability

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NXT Durability

The question of Maguires NXT durability may be of interest. A number of comments about poor durability have been posted at a professional detailer's site: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...&highlight=NXT

My experience is similar. After I apply it, it looks great but only lasts for about a week which is totally ridiculous. I leave my car parked outside but still, it should last longer than a week. It is not worth the effort if it doesn't last longer than a couple months. I am switching to something else.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Beware of leakage

Interesting, all those mixed results.
My impression is (on my white CLS and Blades black Crown Vic) I think the shine is excellent. I did notice though, after using the NXT tech wash I did get the sheeting action that the others in the Autopia thread mentioned, rather than the beading I got with my Eagle One Wet car wash.

I did notice with the NXT wash, when using my Calif car blade to dry the car, the slickness of the body was much greater than that of the Eagle One Wash. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
I've been following autopias views on NXT for a little while now.

People either love it or hate it. For everyone that hates it there is one that loves it.. While I like both of those and think they are awesome the ability to walk into any store and buy NXT is a plus to the general consumer. I also think you can put NXT up to pinnacle/zaino and it will shine. While not of the same quality it is pretty damn close.

I went about 8 weeks inbetween waxes w/ NXT and it was still doing perfect. And to tell you the truth, not many waxes out there last longer then a month.

I've tried them all, and will switch to something else in the future, but right now it's NXT for me. The ease of application is amazing. And personally, I don't mind waxing my car every 6-8 weeks.

Not sure if i'll buy another bottle or not, but I'll definately finish the one I have. I've waxed 6 cars with it and still have half a bottle left

I have not tried blackfire or the Wolfgang product and those are now on my list
Old 06-14-2004, 08:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by Chopper
Interesting, all those mixed results.
My impression is (on my white CLS and Blades black Crown Vic) I think the shine is excellent. I did notice though, after using the NXT tech wash I did get the sheeting action that the others in the Autopia thread mentioned, rather than the beading I got with my Eagle One Wet car wash.

I did notice with the NXT wash, when using my Calif car blade to dry the car, the slickness of the body was much greater than that of the Eagle One Wash. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

personally, i'll take sheeting over beading any day
Old 06-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Yeah but how many protectants do you know of that sheet? I'm sure they're gonna come out with a new and improved version that addresses that problem. It's a first try for them. I'm sure Sal Zaino had issues with his first batch.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:05 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Yeah but how many protectants do you know of that sheet? I'm sure they're gonna come out with a new and improved version that addresses that problem. It's a first try for them. I'm sure Sal Zaino had issues with his first batch.

well, I actually wash my car so that it sheets off, so I don't know how well it does bead or not. I'll snap pics next time
Old 06-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
My buddy and I just finished doing his black 330ci with NXT. It was really nice but not that easy to take off. I still think s100.P21s is easier and nicer to deal with,

Now i gotta try some zaino.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Ill give you a little insight on NXT... Ive been using it for 2 months now averaging a wax every other week. I started by washing with dawn using the clay bar washing again then 1 coat of NXT. I work in Manhattan now so my baby just sits in my driveway all day every day during the week. As far as the durability goes, there hasnt been one time since my first wash, clay, wax that i havent said to my self after washing it again, "wow i really dont think i need to wax it" of course thats not what I did but everytime since I thought the car looked good enough to get away with not spending the extra hour waxing. Im also using the Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo. And this all after a week of sitting around collecting dust, pollen, getting rained on, birds shitting on it and anything else. Maybe this helps and maybe it doesnt but my advice would be go to the store or their website and give it a shot the bottle is only like 14 bucks. I never tried Zaino so it wouldnt be fair to compare, but after reading how difficult it is to apply and how perfect the conditions have to be and some of the horror stories that some ppl on the board have had with mixing wrong and applying too much I have no desire to try it, especially after seeing how well Meguiar's products work
Old 06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KissMy_Type_S
I never tried Zaino so it wouldnt be fair to compare, but after reading how difficult it is to apply and how perfect the conditions have to be and some of the horror stories that some ppl on the board have had with mixing wrong and applying too much I have no desire to try it, especially after seeing how well Meguiar's products work
Oh no, here we go again. It's so funny how people can be misinformed.

Let's recap...

1 - Perfect conditions: Yes, if you want a world class shine with the protection to match, you should clay the car and wash off any waxes, oil, dirt.... I don't see where this is any different that any other product out there. The problem is that most, if not all products don't bother to tell you about these prep steps. They just ASSUME.

2- Mixing wrong: If you are using ZFX, which I don't use much anymore, you need to add a few drops of it into your Z2/Z5 to reduce curing time. Is it necessary? If you plan to apply multiple coats in one day, yes it is.

3 - Applying to much: Yes, if you apply too much it will take forever to cure. Same goes with any carnauba. The issue I think most people have is getting used to how thin a coat to apply.

Rant over.....
Old 06-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you get the Zaino ting down...I think its easier to use then anything I have ever tried! And protection....I zaino'd my CL in November......it lasted all of the way to to March (remember, we are talking a CHICAGO winter!)....and the water still sheeted off!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Let's recap...

1 - Perfect conditions: Yes, if you want a world class shine with the protection to match, you should clay the car and wash off any waxes, oil, dirt.... I don't see where this is any different that any other product out there. The problem is that most, if not all products don't bother to tell you about these prep steps. They just ASSUME.

2- Mixing wrong: If you are using ZFX, which I don't use much anymore, you need to add a few drops of it into your Z2/Z5 to reduce curing time. Is it necessary? If you plan to apply multiple coats in one day, yes it is.

3 - Applying to much: Yes, if you apply too much it will take forever to cure. Same goes with any carnauba. The issue I think most people have is getting used to how thin a coat to apply.

Rant over.....
Relax buddy ... I wasnt misinformed I just didnt feel like typing out all the particulars like you did. Ive read all the posts the GOOD and the BAD, but when it comes right down to it I have no interest in spending that much time figuring it out and "getting it down" when I can go out there and wax my car inna hour and have it look just as good as the guy next to me using Zaino. Honestly I enjoy washing and waxing my car so i dont care if i do it 3 times a week, then again I dont do it for this protection aspect like apparently so many others do. I do it cuz the car looks good, plain and simple.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

...I have no interest in spending that much time figuring it out and "getting it down" when I can go out there and wax my car inna hour and have it look just as good as the guy next to me using Zaino.
I wash and wax my car in an hour too. I've been detailing cars for 10+ years now and I can tell you Zaino is as easy, if not easier than any other product I've tried. And I've tried em all...I've got a garage full of stuff to show for it...3M, Meguiars, Klasse, Blackfire, Mother's, Liquid Glass..... the list goes on and on.

Not trying to be a douche, it's just that people really don't get how easy it is to use. They just see the amount of instructions and get spooked. Sal is just incredibly precise about car care.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

I think people just dont like the idea of first setting up of zaino.

For me its that and the price. Sure the others might not last as long, but i enjoy waxing.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:05 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
I think people just dont like the idea of first setting up of zaino.

For me its that and the price. Sure the others might not last as long, but i enjoy waxing.

my opinions exactly

NSXNEXT, what did you think of blackfire? Wanna sell me what you have left? Got any S100 or P21S laying around?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CLpower
my opinions exactly

NSXNEXT, what did you think of blackfire? Wanna sell me what you have left? Got any S100 or P21S laying around?
The Blackfire is gone. I gave it to my brother to use on his Honda Odyssey. It was ok. I can tell you it didn't hold up nearly as well to the elements as Zaino. I used it on my Integra. I may try the S100 on my wife's Altima. I've heard great things about it.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

from what they are telling me on autopia, p21s and s100 are the same thing, but it appears s100 is cheaper
Old 06-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

I wash and wax my car in an hour too. I've been detailing cars for 10+ years now and I can tell you Zaino is as easy, if not easier than any other product I've tried. And I've tried em all...I've got a garage full of stuff to show for it...3M, Meguiars, Klasse, Blackfire, Mother's, Liquid Glass..... the list goes on and on.

Not trying to be a douche, it's just that people really don't get how easy it is to use. They just see the amount of instructions and get spooked. Sal is just incredibly precise about car care.
I did noticed that. I haven't tried it yet, but after reading some of it, I was like WTF. I think it more of a product naming thing. Maybe he should rename them to make it a bit easier. Like Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, like the meg and mothers line that are multstep.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

from what they are telling me on autopia, p21s and s100 are the same thing, but it appears s100 is cheaper
word.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Basically i think it just all comes down to preference and comfort. Personally Ive always used Meg products and have had great success so no reason to stop now especially when I pay $14 for a bottle of NXT that has 20+ waxes in it. I would love nothing more to get every Zaino product and go nuts start to finish just to see what its like but i dont have a garage to utilize and i find myself out in my driveway at 430-5 when the suns ducked behind the tree and house line so ill actually have a little shade. Im def not knocking zaino products or you NSX, I was just defending myself from being labeled "mis-informed"
Old 06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

what I have noticed about zaino is it doesn't give the depth a lot of others out there give. I was looking at some old pictures w/ zaino and it's almost hard to even tell what color the car is at times.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:48 PM
teh Senior Instigator

i want to try this shit

http://www.zymol.com/destiny2.htm
Old 06-15-2004, 04:48 PM
teh Senior Instigator

http://www.zymol.com/vintage2.htm
Old 06-15-2004, 05:01 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Let's recap...

you know, katana was right, you are a tool
Old 06-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

damn, and i thought Zaino was expensive.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

This container is refillable for life at no charge.

I guess waxing a car every week or 2 would eventually pay for itself
Old 06-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Fuk that, just to make up for it, I would wax every week, when I have kids wax their every week. After that wax my grandkids cars every week. And then past that shit on to them and have them wax every week.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

They better come to my house and refill it while they give me head everytime. Hell even then its not worth it.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
They better come to my house and refill it while they give me head everytime. Hell even then its not worth it.
Lets not go that far .....
Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contains White Carnauba Sap/Wax, Montan Evergreen Oil, Sunflower Oil, Cantaloupe Oil, Coconut Oil, Honeydew Extract, Propolis (derived from Bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil).

Sounds tasty.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 AM
teh Senior Instigator

i think you are limited to two refills a year.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Some peole have too much money! $2000 retail for car wax I though I was nuts for buying somw Zaino!
Old 06-16-2004, 03:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
Some peole have too much money! $2000 retail for car wax I though I was nuts for buying somw Zaino!

if you are buying a 2 million dollar concourse show car, I bet you have no problem dumping the money for this wax
Old 06-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I understand its all relative....but if I had that much money, why not pay someone to do it...or buy a new car every 3 months!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
I understand its all relative....but if I had that much money, why not pay someone to do it...or buy a new car every 3 months!

you really think these guys put the wax on themselves, of course they pay someone to do it. And i'm not talking about ferrari's and shit, the guys that probably use this stuff put it on true concours cars, like million dollar early 30's bugatti's delahayes, etc.

THere was a guy on autopia that said one of his customers had the vintage wax and the guys wife brought it out to him and dropped it all over the floor
Old 06-22-2004, 03:50 PM
teh Senior Instigator

well, I actually wash my car so that it sheets off, so I don't know how well it does bead or not. I'll snap pics next time

I didn't take a pic, but I did my drying technique on half my hood and left it as is on the other half. NXT definately beeds like crazy. I don't know what those who say it doesn't are smoking.