Newbie Detailer w/ UDM

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Detailer w/ UDM

Hello All,

Now that I have a new car, I want to take the plunge and give this detailing thing a real shot. So I plan on purchasing a bundled UDM with LC pads. I will be detailing my 6 month old white tsx. Will the following procedure work for me?

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay
4. UDM - LC Orange pad w/ Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
5. UDM - LC White pad w/ Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1
6. UDM - LC Grey pad w/ Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
7. Finish off with a coat of liquid wax applied using the UDM.

Does this sound about right? Since my car is only 6 months old with very very light swirls should I skip step 4? If you guys have other product suggestions feel free to comment.

I was also thinking about going with the Sonus pads and polishes. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if it were me, i would skip step 4 and step 7...and i would probably replace step 6 with a synthetic sealant....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the white pad with a light polish and if it doesn't produce the necessary results then move up in either polish or pad. I don't think you'll go wrong with either pad and light polish. You can skip the glaze, IMO not really needed and consider it an option. As far as the last step product, look for a synthetic wax - a lot more durable than a carnuba. One of the forum favorites is FS UPP. Can't comment on the Sonus pads tho a good number of the members use Excel Erasure pads or Lake Country pads.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Advanced

After reading a little more, I actually did decide to use FS UPP for my LSP. Still trying to decide what polishes to use. Looks like Optimum Polish is also a favorite around here. I might give that a shot, its cheap too!

So here is my new procedure...

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay
4. UDM - LC White pad w/ Optimum Polish (If this doesn't seem to do the trick, I'll try orange pad with OP)
5. Fishes off with a coat of FS UPP.

Does this sound better? Another question, is it ok to apply and remove FS UPP using the UDM?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:20 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
You could probably skip step #2 too and just go straight to claying.... but only if it's not too hot and you don't have hard water otherwise you'll end up with water spots as the car dries.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

I wash my car with dish detergent to remove all road oils and wax then immediately clay the car using clean soapy water as the lubricant - rinsing as I go..
After drying I apply polish then sealant - aways by hand. Works well for me
Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WSZsr
I wash my car with dish detergent to remove all road oils and wax then immediately clay the car using clean soapy water as the lubricant - rinsing as I go..
After drying I apply polish then sealant - aways by hand. Works well for me
Between claying and polishing, you will remove previously applied protectants. Although washing with dishsoap will not "harm" clear coats when used on an occasional basis, its recommended to stay with products designed safely to lift contaminants, and rinse cleanly.
If youve ever washed your hands with dishsoap you may notice it takes a little extra water to remove all of the soapy product from your hands.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZuser
but only if it's not too hot and you don't have hard water otherwise you'll end up with water spots as the car dries.
I'll give this a try. What do you mean by "hard water"?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM
_

Hard water contains minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Some people have harder water than others. When it drys, it leaves nasty water spots and residue which can sometimes be a PITA to remove.

That's why I say that it's okay to skip the drying step if you have soft water and it isn't too hot so the car doesn't dry as quickly, thus giving you more time to clay the car without having to worry about water spots.

More info on hard water and water spots.

Last edited by AZuser; 03-13-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Between claying and polishing, you will remove previously applied protectants. Although washing with dishsoap will not "harm" clear coats when used on an occasional basis, its recommended to stay with products designed safely to lift contaminants, and rinse cleanly.
If youve ever washed your hands with dishsoap you may notice it takes a little extra water to remove all of the soapy product from your hands.
I am a Zaino fan and they recommend Dawn dish soap the first time you apply Zaino, After the first time, I use a quality car wash.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Safety Car

I am a Zaino fan and they recommend Dawn dish soap the first time you apply Zaino, After the first time, I use a quality car wash.
dish soap is for dishes, carwash soap is for cars...i dont car what zaino says...
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
dish soap is for dishes, carwash soap is for cars...i dont car what zaino says...
If your using a sealant then I hope you use a precleaner of some kind if you don't use Dawn etc or your going to run into bonding issues.

After that I agree .. keep it in the kitchen.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dtrujillo63
After reading a little more, I actually did decide to use FS UPP for my LSP. Still trying to decide what polishes to use. Looks like Optimum Polish is also a favorite around here. I might give that a shot, its cheap too!

So here is my new procedure...

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay
4. UDM - LC White pad w/ Optimum Polish (If this doesn't seem to do the trick, I'll try orange pad with OP)
5. Fishes off with a coat of FS UPP.

Does this sound better? Another question, is it ok to apply and remove FS UPP using the UDM?

Thanks for the help guys!
This order is exactly what I do! I've got a 7 month old TL, and I use the same process, Optimum Polish on a White Pad followed by FS UPP on a blue pad.

For this upcoming detail, I may give the Optimum OptiSeal a shot that I have laying around in my pile of 'stuff'. It got some good reviews on here before and I picked it up in one of Excel's Thanksgiving Specials, but I've yet to try it out.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Pretty much my thoughts as well.......
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
But don't people say that you should use Dawn/dishwashing detergent to remove the existing wax so that you start with a clear base?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
_

A proper wash and clay will remove pretty much everything so there shouldn't be any reason why you'd use dish washing soap.

Same if you use a pre-wax cleaner.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Stop hyjacking my thread! hahaha jk. So I took the plunge and place an order for the following.

1. UDM
2. LC 6.5" Orange Pads
2. LC 6.5" White Pads
1. LC 6.5" Grey Pad
2. LC 6.5" Blue Pads
2. Cobra Microfiber 6.5 inch Bonnets
2. Cobra Microfiber Polishing Cloths

1. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Foam Pad Cleaner
1. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Foam Pad Conditioner

1. Optimum Polish 32oz.
1. FS-UPP 16oz.

All of this for $219.84 shipped! I think this was one awesome deal!

Thanks again guys! I'll post pictures of the results.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Claying isn't going to necessarily remove the wax/oils and keep in mind your claying with a QD which is remaining on the paint.

If you use a water based polish ofter you clay then you might be ok.

If your just going to clay then go to a LSP sealant then you have to think out your process.

Dawn or a cleaner like Klasse AIO or PoliSeal.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Red face

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
If your using a sealant then I hope you use a precleaner of some kind if you don't use Dawn etc or your going to run into bonding issues.

After that I agree .. keep it in the kitchen.
Yes, I always use a polish after the clay and before the sealant. Seems to be a few anti-zaino people in this crown. Well, we can't all be correct.

I use dawn every spring to start the year with a clean car. That's my preference.

My routine is:

Wash
Clay
Wash
Dry
Polish
Sealant.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Yes, I always use a polish after the clay and before the sealant. Seems to be a few anti-zaino people in this crown. Well, we can't all be correct.

I use dawn every spring to start the year with a clean car. That's my preference.
I don't think folks here are anti-Zaino but most prefer to use a product of their choosing and are very satisfied with the results. The products recommended here work for the users. Don't get me wrong, I think Zaino is an excellent product but not necessarily my cup of tea, so to speak.

Just out of curiosity, since claybars contain abrasives and can cause light marring, what polish do you use to eliminate them?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I don't think folks here are anti-Zaino but most prefer to use a product of their choosing and are very satisfied with the results. The products recommended here work for the users. Don't get me wrong, I think Zaino is an excellent product but not necessarily my cup of tea, so to speak.

Just out of curiosity, since claybars contain abrasives and can cause light marring, what polish do you use to eliminate them?
I use Z2. I've never noticed any "marring? from claying but I use plenty of lubricant. However, my silver TSX does not show marring/scratches as well as a darker color.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Safety Car

Z-2 is basically a sealant. Polishes are chemical or abrasive and used to remove surface imperfections such as oxidation, swirls, contaminants and light scratches. They will also give shine and reflectivity to the paint. Z-AIO and Z-PC are polishes in the Zaino line. Waxes protect and polishes correct and clean.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Z-2 is basically a sealant. Polishes are chemical or abrasive and used to remove surface imperfections such as oxidation, swirls, contaminants and light scratches. They will also give shine and reflectivity to the paint. Z-AIO and Z-PC are polishes in the Zaino line. Waxes protect and polishes correct and clean.
My bad. You are correct. I am out of the Z5 that you use just before the sealant.

Last time I ordered, I bought some Wolfgang Polish Enhancer and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant which I have been using for a couple of years now. When it is used up I may go back to Zaino. I see that the Zaino product has changed since I last bought it. I used to buy Zaino Z5, Z2 and Z6.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

I use Z2. I've never noticed any "marring? from claying but I use plenty of lubricant. However, my silver TSX does not show marring/scratches as well as a darker color.
thats the bueaty of a silver car....i miss my silver car, but love my kbp, but i might as well be a black car as 15 minutes after i wash it, it starts showing all the dust....
Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtrujillo63
Stop hyjacking my thread! hahaha jk. So I took the plunge and place an order for the following.

1. UDM
2. LC 6.5" Orange Pads
2. LC 6.5" White Pads
1. LC 6.5" Grey Pad
2. LC 6.5" Blue Pads
2. Cobra Microfiber 6.5 inch Bonnets
2. Cobra Microfiber Polishing Cloths

1. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Foam Pad Cleaner
1. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Foam Pad Conditioner

1. Optimum Polish 32oz.
1. FS-UPP 16oz.

All of this for $219.84 shipped! I think this was one awesome deal!

Thanks again guys! I'll post pictures of the results.
Thats a great starter kit Where did you buy it?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:09 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by TLS101
It sounds like he bought it from autogeek. Personally though, I bought from exceldetail.com (a vendor here). Patrick is a very knowledgeable guy, I believe he does detailing on the side or as a business or something so he knows what he's talking about too. I ordered several products from him and also received great customer service before and after I bought from exceldetail. Just search this forum, he answers questions all the time so I trust him rather than ordering from some website that I have not associated with before.

Definitely a thumbs-up from me.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
It sounds like he bought it from autogeek. Personally though, I bought from exceldetail.com (a vendor here). Patrick is a very knowledgeable guy, I believe he does detailing on the side or as a business or something so he knows what he's talking about too. I ordered several products from him and also received great customer service before and after I bought from exceldetail. Just search this forum, he answers questions all the time so I trust him rather than ordering from some website that I have not associated with before.

Definitely a thumbs-up from me.
Wow, thanks for the confidance!
It does make a difference to purchase something from someone who has a little knowlege about it! And that doesnt stop with me. AG obviously sells detailing materials, but sometimes I wonder how much there customer service people actually know vs. what they have been told to say. I also rely alot on my customers for feedback about the items they purchase, and how they perform in actual situations, vs a sales demonstration.
Thank you for your positive comments IGTC!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Wow, thanks for the confidance!
It does make a difference to purchase something from someone who has a little knowlege about it! And that doesnt stop with me. AG obviously sells detailing materials, but sometimes I wonder how much there customer service people actually know vs. what they have been told to say. I also rely alot on my customers for feedback about the items they purchase, and how they perform in actual situations, vs a sales demonstration.
Thank you for your positive comments IGTC!
What do you think of the package that dtrujillo63 purchased and can you match or beat the price?

Would you change or buy anything extra for a starter kit?

I've just purchased Quixx for a repair rash on the fender and then would like to detail the whole car. So I'm going to need to buy everything.

TIA
Old 03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

If purchased through me:
UDM,
Orange/White/Red LC 6.5" pads
Opt Pol,
6 Supreme Polishing Pads,
FS UPP,
Shipped for $126.00
Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Racer

When I eventually decide to buy a UDM I will definately go with exceldetail. I've only ordered some duragloss products in the past but the amount of information and questions he shares with us is amazing.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Instructor

If purchased through me:
UDM,
Opt Pol,
FS UPP,
Shipped for $126.00
Exceldetail: Pm sent....
Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Racer

Exceldetail: Pm sent....
same lol
Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

If purchased through me:
UDM,
Opt Pol,
FS UPP,
Shipped for $126.00
OK guys, my bad....Thats $226.00
That did get your attention though didnt it!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced

I got it all from autogeek.net. Here is a copy of my invoice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Code Product Name Price
1 OPT-400 32 oz. Optimum Polish 16.99
1 UDM-1500 Ultimate Detailing Machine Intro Kit 159.99
1 MB-7030 2 QTY Cobra Microfiber 6.5 inch Bonnet 10.99
1 LC-78-94650DA CCS 6.5" Blue Finessing Pad 9.99
1 FS-UPP16 16 oz. Four Star Ultimate Paint Protec 22.99
1 clubmember 10% savings -22.10
Sub-Total: 198.85
Tax: 0.00
Shipping & Handling: 20.99
TOTAL: 219.84

Use coupon code of "clubmember" for the extra 10% off. Autogeek was great, I got all my stuff 4 days after I placed the order.