A New Zaino Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 02:19 PM
Team Owner

A New Zaino Question.

Guys, I got my '07 TL Type S on new year's day 2008. It only had 700 miles on it. So I called Zaino and talked to Sal himself. I asked him what to use on my car. I told him it was my everyday car-Silver in color. He suggested I use the Zaino All In One (Z-AIO), then the Z-5 and finish with Z-6. I've used the Z-6 in between waxes/polishings. It seems to work well. So I have 2 questions:
1) Has anyone used the Z-AIO yet? What do you think about it?
2) Is this the best process (Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-6)?

I'm thinking the ideal process is wash, polish and then wax, correct? And if this is correct, are the things Sal suggested giving me the best protection for my TL Type S?
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:31 PM
Professional Newbie

I personally don't think the all-in-one is necessary. I just do coats of Z-2 and Z-5 with sprays of Z-6 inbetween. What benefit would the AIO offer?
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:06 PM
Safety Car

i would think sal knows best...however, on the other hand he is in the business of selling product....
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:08 PM
Team Owner

I'm not sure. That's just what Sal suggested. And when you're talking to the owner, you take his advice. Here's what their website says about Z-AIO.

• Excellent daily driver solution
• Easy to apply & remove
• Apply by hand or machine
• Safe for all paint types
• Restores dull paint & minor oxidation
• Safely smoothes minor flaws & cleans embedded debris
• Leaves a glossy & strong protective layer
• Excellent base coat setup for optional Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO application
• Does not contain any oils or fillers

Zaino is proud to build on the success of it's line of award winning Zaino Show Car Polish Products with Zaino Z-AIO ALL-IN-ONE. Z-AIO simplifies the task of painted surface maintenance. Z-AIO's versatility on all paint types make it your one source, goto polish. Whether on your car, truck, motorcycle, or boat, Z-AIO can be your true SINGLE polish & protectant product.

With an emulsifying cleaner and very mild abrasive, Z-AIO gently cleans and protects while effectively enhancing light refraction and reflectivity for remarkable results. The advanced polymeric substructures within Z-AIO produces optically perfect layers to all paint types, yet also provides excellent adhesion and detergent resistance, resulting in a strong and glossy layer of polymer based synthetic protection.

Z-AIO is an excellent solution for daily driven vehicles. Exposure to environmental elements as well as surface contaminants affect the look and life of your paint. Contaminants like tree sap, tar, bird droppings, bug remains, road grime, and many other pollutants can be easily removed with Z-AIO. Z-AIO includes our most advanced sunscreen and UV protection.

Z-AIO can either be used by itself, or as an excellent foundation & bonding agent for the full line of advanced Zaino Show Car Polish Products.

Although it is not required, you may follow up Z-AIO with application of any Zaino Show Car Polish protectant, including our new advanced Z-CS Clear Seal, or Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO products.

Z-AIO succeeds and obsoletes Zaino Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok.

NOTE: Z-AIO is very durable. If your goals are great shine and maximum protection on daily driven vehicles, we recommend 3-4 applications per year. For best results, maintain with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray or Z-8 Spray Seal and Z-7 Show Car Wash..
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

And when you're talking to the owner, you take his advice.
O

One must be careful when the owner is also the salesman.....
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Sal is a hell of a salesman too .. but a littl old school in spots .. for instance his patriotic "Use only Americam made cotton towels " ... not the new world M/F. Hell you ever tried to find American made towels that you MIGHT be able to afford?

I have never used his AIO but I have used Klasse AIO under his stuff and last time around I used PoliSeal instead and $$ for $$ I'll use PoliSeal as an AIO prep for after polish pre LSP any day.

I now use PoliSeal under all the sealants I apply .. which is basically every car I do.
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:38 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Sal is a hell of a salesman too .. but a littl old school in spots .. for instance his patriotic "Use only Americam made cotton towels " ... not the new world M/F. Hell you ever tried to find American made towels that you MIGHT be able to afford?

I have never used his AIO but I have used Klasse AIO under his stuff and last time around I used PoliSeal instead and $$ for $$ I'll use PoliSeal as an AIO prep for after polish pre LSP any day.

I now use PoliSeal under all the sealants I apply .. which is basically every car I do.
I wonder if the Zaino even bonded to the acrylic surface you laid down with KAIO. If I remember anything from my Zaino days, it was that the paint needed to be bare.

American made cotton towels
Old 03-04-2008 | 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joerockt
I wonder if the Zaino even bonded to the acrylic surface you laid down with KAIO. If I remember anything from my Zaino days, it was that the paint needed to be bare.

Well I'll tell ya .. after 3 years of doing it on 2 cars ( mine and my sons ) it sure lasted a long time so if it didn't bond something held it on there.

I think like other sealants it will have trouble bonding to "unclean" or waxy oily surfaces.

The last year I had my black Passat one of the experiments I did was the roof was Zaino Z2 on bare paint the rest of the car was Z2 over KAIO and I saw no difference even tho the hood is a lot worse environment than the roof.

I often use Z2 x 3 covered by Sg x 2 then topped with #16. Never an issue.
Old 03-04-2008 | 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

N

Now theres a hell uva testament.........What pad Dale? And PC/UDM/Rotary?
Old 03-09-2008 | 01:50 AM
Advanced

Hmm I have a silver TSX and ZFX (old product from 2 years ago)/Z5 combo always worked well.

My Z5 is running out though and I might try some Z2 because swirls don't really show up that much on a silver car. I love seeing a super-shiny silver car at night...
Old 03-09-2008 | 06:28 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Originally Posted by joerockt

Klass and Zaino are both polymers, so they will bond, before Z-AIO we were using Klasse AIO as a base for Zaino.

Oil is the one thing Zaino (and any other polymer ) will not bond with.
Old 03-09-2008 | 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by exceldetail
N

Now theres a hell uva testament.........What pad Dale? And PC/UDM/Rotary?
I apply PoliSeal with a PC or UDM ... I have both and a black LC pad. We do a car in 15 minutes and it goes on so thin/clear I have set up a removal pattern with my helper so she knows what panels I applied it to.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 03-09-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2008 | 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

so she knows
So I suppose pictures are out of the question...........not of her, but ummmmm, of the process, yeah thats it...........
Old 03-10-2008 | 12:22 AM
Team Owner

So what do you think Exceldetail??? Sal told me that for my ASM Type S to used Z-AIO, then Z-5 and finish with Z-6. Does that sound right or can you suggest anything different for a Silver Type S?
Old 03-10-2008 | 08:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
So what do you think Exceldetail??? Sal told me that for my ASM Type S to used Z-AIO, then Z-5 and finish with Z-6. Does that sound right or can you suggest anything different for a Silver Type S?
i am thinking exceldetail is wondering why you called zaino for his product instead of him....
Old 03-10-2008 | 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Did Sal tell you to polish it out first?
Old 03-10-2008 | 09:23 AM
Team Owner

First, my apologies to Excel Detail. I didn't know of him and the products when I purchased the Zaino products. I asked at the dealership what they recommend. They suggested Zaino, so I found them on the web, which was before I even joined Acurazine.com. I hope you don't hold that against me ExcelDetail !!! Second, Sal said to use Z-AIO, then Z-5 and Z-6. Plus, there was a single sheet of directions that came with the products.
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:50 AM
Safety Car

patrick seems pretty cool about helping folks out even if they dont buy from him, but i would plan on using him as a normal hook up for detail stuff...
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

First, my apologies to Excel Detail. I didn't know of him and the products when I purchased the Zaino products. I asked at the dealership what they recommend. They suggested Zaino, so I found them on the web, which was before I even joined Acurazine.com. I hope you don't hold that against me ExcelDetail !!! Second, Sal said to use Z-AIO, then Z-5 and Z-6. Plus, there was a single sheet of directions that came with the products.

Ok so he didn't say to polish it out first .. he is relying on the Z5 to fill in swirling etc?
Old 03-10-2008 | 01:23 PM
Team Owner

Not sure....with my car being less than 9 months old, I don't think I've got any swirl problems. At least I haven't seen any so far.
Old 03-10-2008 | 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure....with my car being less than 9 months old, I don't think I've got any swirl problems. At least I haven't seen any so far.
Go out when its dark and no other light avaialble and tal a regular flashlight and look at it. Eg Dark garage.
Old 03-10-2008 | 01:36 PM
Just dial 1911

You will. Silver hides swirls pretty well. A quick polish with a swirl remove type polish wouldnt hurt...
Old 03-10-2008 | 02:42 PM
Safety Car

silver is a great color, you really wont see any swirl marks or light scratches...on the other hand, silver is also not a very rewarding color as far as putting in alot of detail work to the paint...that being said, i kind of wish i would have gotten the silver over the kinetic blue pearl.....but the car i traded in was alabaster silver, so i decided to change it up a bit....
Old 03-10-2008 | 03:03 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Zaino™ Application Tips:
1. Apply this product using a distilled water-dampened applicator, and then spray the applicator with Z6.
2. Apply Z-solution very thinly using absolute minimum pressure on the applicator.
3. Spray the vehicle surface very lightly with Z6 between each ‘layer’.
4. Use Z-5 + ZFX for dark colours Z-2 + ZFX for light colours.
5. Use Souverän Wax as a final product on red, black or Porsche Speed yellow it produces a deep wet shine or Pinnacle Signature Series Wax for metallic and for light coloured vehicle paint
6. The secret to the application of a polymer product is to apply it thin (super thin) fill a spray bottle and mist a foam pad for application.
7. It cannot be emphasized enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional (less product easier removal) to the amount used (0.5 – 1.0 oz should be sufficient for most vehicles)
8. Swipe test - the best way to determine if it is ready to be removed is to do the swipe test. Run your bare finger across the paint and if the product doesn't smear it is ready to be removed.
9. It cannot be emphasised enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional (less product easier removal) to the amount used (0.5 – 1.0 oz should be sufficient for most vehicles)
10. Apply Z6 to the paint surface before you begin, it enables a thinner application of Z5 / Z2 (Z7 wash, polish prep, Z7 wash, Z6 wipe down, start Zaino process
11. If there are places were the wax is thick and you are having trouble buffing the residue, wash affected panel with a Z-7 wash solution or go over the area with a damp towel, allow to dry and then apply Z-6
12. A single thin layer of Zaino Z-2 / Z5 does not require a catalyst (Zanio ZFX) use Zaino Z-6 after application. Only if you are going to apply more than one layer of Zaino within a 24-hour period is the ZFX catalyst required.
13. Z2 contains a re-wetting agent that aids its flow and spread ability (it sometimes appears to have separated, but just shake the container to re-mix) so this product should be well shaken (but not stirred) before use
14. On darker colours dilute your Z-8 with distilled water 33:1, use a fine mist spray bottle to apply, this does is slow the drying time and will allow you to spread your Z-8 better and more evenly, giving better results, this really helps in the hot months, or with dark colour finishes
15. To remove bugs, road grime, etc. use a heavy concentration (1 oz. of Z-7 to 16 oz. of distilled water) to pre-soak.
16. Z-7 and distilled water is still the best way to remove Zaino which has streaked or smeared
17. To clean the applicator bottles, pour in some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), replace the cap and shake for about 60 seconds, then rinse with hot water.