New to site, old school slogsr (detailing)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
New to site, old school slogsr (detailing)

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Brent aka slogsr, many of you may know me from HT

I recently just purchased a new 04 6spd nbp tl for a dd. I noticed a lot of you guys love to keep your cars clean. So When I get some time I will write a diy thread on how to professionally detail a car by yourself. If you guys are interested.

History:
I have built a k20 integra show/race car that has been winning shows for 3 years strait and will have a honda-tuning feature soon (photo shoot is done waiting on the release) Every judge that has ever looked at my car has asked about the paint, it is b92p just like my new tl (2 month search for a matching dd). And after finding out it is original factory paint I often get the question of how I do it.

Well for 2 years I spent 12-14 hour days detailing exotic and luxury vehicles. Vehicles as great as a lamborghini murcielago and as low as an old lincon continental. I have seen pretty much everything when it comes to customer cars. We had people coming from ney york and north carolina and we were located 20 min south of DC.

So my question to you guys is would you like a DIY with professional results?

I can start with the outside first (since the car I just purchased has horrible swirl marks) and when I get more time move to the inside (will show a tan interior from another car for you lighter interior guys). I can post step by step with pics on how to do it and little tricks I have learned. Like how to not get wax on your weather stripping which can cause them to turn white. Each step will have a detailed instruction along with explenation of why it is being done the way it is done.

All the tools I will use will be regular stuff you can buy at the store so you won't have to search high and low to find industrial stuff.

Agian I will only do it if you guys want it. So let me know
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
definitely, any tips would certainly help me. Thanks for the offer. I have an '06 NBP RL and a MR '08 TSX 6sp Nav. Both interiors are Parchment.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure a lot of AZers could use some tips, hehe.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Tips are always welcome.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Sounds good, I am letting my car get extra dirty so you can see the differences.

I can do exterior first then interior later

My interior is black so I will do that sooner than the tan colored. The donor car for the tan interior detail will be my moms 02 lexus es300, but they live 3 hours north of me so I will get that around xmas time
Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure I would be interested in reading your write up. The more detail the better. I may learn something new? Welcome to the Forum
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
you never know, you might even learn something from the profesional detailers that are local to this forum...there are quite a few...

welcome aboard
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by conan777
Sure I would be interested in reading your write up. The more detail the better. I may learn something new? Welcome to the Forum

your soo modest
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Welcome, I'm always looking for tips and tricks of the trade
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There are quite a few of us on this board that already do that, but hey...the more the merrier.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSC17
There are quite a few of us on this board that already do that, but hey...the more the merrier.

Very true, however this will be a very indepth write up. And there will be explenations of why. Not just because this is what I like to do.

My back ground is in High end automobiles. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and a few Astin Martin. My clients have never had a complaint. And my Integra is always an eye catcher

Don't have pics of the new TL yet but here is my teg that is almost done with the engine re-build.

and the rest

How it sits now.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
sex on the s2k cluster.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=vinnier6;10275964]you never know, you might even learn something from the profesional detailers that are local to this forum...there are quite a few...

[QUOTE=slogsr;10277929]Very true, however this will be a very indepth write up. And there will be explenations of why. Not just because this is what I like to do.

My back ground is in High end automobiles. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and a few Astin Martin. My clients have never had a complaint. And my Integra is always an eye catcher

High end cars, sorta like these?

Lamborghini Murcielago

Super Charged Range Rover

Audi R-8

Astin Martin

Lamborghini Gallardo

Yes, like the guys stated above, there are some very knowledgeable members on this forum. I know I certainly welcome you to this forum and look forward to reading your posts. I am the first to say that working on High End Exotic Cars is a thrill but to be honest almost every one of them were previously worked on by some very shoddy "detailers" (I mean Hacks). They left a lasting impression on the owners in the form of Holograms and Buffer Trails so for me the "Proof is in the Pudding" . We have some guys on here that detailed their first car and did amazing work and we have people on here that have been detailing professionaly for many years and then we have a slew of people that fall in the middle. Once again...Welcome! and thank you for any knowledge that you would be willing to share with the rest of us. One of the life lessons I learned a long time ago is that there is always a lesson to be learned somewhere from someone. The day I stop learning is the day I'm Dead!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Racer

+1 But I don't care if these are high end cars or 10 years old Chevy, if You keep them in perfect condition paint is only paint and this 10 years old 500$ Chevy can looks much better then 250 000$ Lambo if the owner care.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 AM
The Detailer

I haven't detailed any exotics yet but hope to some day, hehe. However, I have done a 35-foot race car trailer and will be doing a small personal aircraft... that has to mean something! LoL.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Yessir just like that, the Ferrari dealer over in sterling was a very repeat customer of ours. And a shit ton in DC.

Detailing those are fun, but driving them to and from the shop was a nerve killer! I never went over 60mph

Nice to see another person utilizing the blue painters tap one of the best tools to use.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As Conan stated, we welcome you to the board, but you need to have the respect that there may be (and are) some very talented and well respected professional detailers and paint reconditioning experts already here. Many of us are also regulars on other detailing forums and have been networking and sharing concepts, techniques, and knowledge with some of the finest detailers in the country (and beyond) for some time now. Many of us also do a great job of explaining our techniques and processes, as well as the why's of the product and methodology choices we made on that particular vehicle given the requirements of the job. We do it to share with our peers, as well as to educate those who are not as familiar with this skill. I too learn something new about detailing just about every single day, and look forward to reading others' posts as well.

We'll agree that exotics are wonderful to work with, and people love to look at pictures of them, however some of the most impressive work that gets posted is the intensive correction of mere daily drivers because they typically experience the biggest transformations.

Although I remain humble, and don't consider myself one of the "top dogs", I try to make my posts thorough and educational, and try to capture it all with somewhat decent photography. Based on many of the comments I have received about my work, I feel that I have accomplished that. Here is one of my recent posts for your reference: https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/98-m3-techno-violet-detailed-tsc17-693714/

I'm sure that you're a very talented detailer, and you will share some great insights with us.

Once again, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Instructor

As Conan stated, we welcome you to the board, but you need to have the respect that there may be (and are) some very talented and well respected professional detailers and paint reconditioning experts already here. Many of us are also regulars on other detailing forums and have been networking and sharing concepts, techniques, and knowledge with some of the finest detailers in the country (and beyond) for some time now. Many of us also do a great job of explaining our techniques and processes, as well as the why's of the product and methodology choices we made on that particular vehicle given the requirements of the job. We do it to share with our peers, as well as to educate those who are not as familiar with this skill. I too learn something new about detailing just about every single day, and look forward to reading others' posts as well.

We'll agree that exotics are wonderful to work with, and people love to look at pictures of them, however some of the most impressive work that gets posted is the intensive correction of mere daily drivers because they typically experience the biggest transformations.

Although I remain humble, and don't consider myself one of the "top dogs", I try to make my posts thorough and educational, and try to capture it all with somewhat decent photography. Based on many of the comments I have received about my work, I feel that I have accomplished that. Here is one of my recent posts for your reference: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693714

I'm sure that you're a very talented detailer, and you will share some great insights with us.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

Very true, DDs take the biggest smiles at the end of the day.

If you took it as desrespect I am sorry but it was not intended that way.

Saturday looks to be sunny out where I am and its been dumping cats and dogs these past few days so I am hoping to get out there since finals were over today!!! Hoping I won't be to hung over . But damn I am glad college is over.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

i would love to see your write up... i havent spent any time on the wash and wax forums and am just now realizing i want/need to learn how to keep my car in good shape also i'm in college (and a NOOB at car cleaning) and i don't get to clean my car very much here so when i go home i really like to clean it well... so a write up for someone like me who doesnt know much about detailing would be GREAT.... god speed
Old 12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigeshorte45
i would love to see your write up... i havent spent any time on the wash and wax forums and am just now realizing i want/need to learn how to keep my car in good shape also i'm in college (and a NOOB at car cleaning) and i don't get to clean my car very much here so when i go home i really like to clean it well... so a write up for someone like me who doesnt know much about detailing would be GREAT.... god speed

Yea I just finished college today, but my job is 10 min from the house I rent so I am stuck here. The house only has a 1 car and my teg takes that one haha. But this will be a write up using BASIC stuff that anyone can get at any regular auto parts store. This way its not just me using tools that not everyone has access to (kinda kills the point right?) But hopefully its nice tomm and I am charging the camera tonight.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

^awesome! i plan on detailing my car with another member (ryebreadisme is doing his car too) and he's gonna show me the proper ways to clay/wax etc.... when we get back home from school proooobably next weekend or sometime over break if we can find a warm/sunny day...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Racer

make a video too
Old 12-13-2008, 06:43 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I sure we'll all look forward to your insights- Experience unshared is Knowledge wasted
Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bo0sty
make a video too

of which part? the video would be really really long. I can try to if I get some one to video me doing the car.

Going to get started in a few, nice and sunny here in VA but its 39 degrees. Not to bad back in Milwaukee that was warm
Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Well I got started yesterday but a sick girlfriend stopped that. Great news, today was much nicer out and I had time today to get up and start

Finished, the car looks great and it was the first time I got to detail it since I bought it 2 weeks ago. Found some stuff and found a scratch on the bumper from a careless driver that happend after I bought it. Oh well

Anyway total of 183 photos right now. Gonna start the write up and download them.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by slogsr
Well I got started yesterday but a sick girlfriend stopped that. Great news, today was much nicer out and I had time today to get up and start

Finished, the car looks great and it was the first time I got to detail it since I bought it 2 weeks ago. Found some stuff and found a scratch on the bumper from a careless driver that happend after I bought it. Oh well

Anyway total of 183 photos right now. Gonna start the write up and download them.
Welcome to the forum slogsr.

May I suggest that you post the writeup in a new thread. This thread is more of an introduction.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Instructor

That was the plan
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Please keep the photos to an interesting and respectful limit. Theres nothing more that turns me off then having to wade through a herdful of photos with only slight differences.