New car care for Acura TL 2006 - Black on black

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:44 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car care for Acura TL 2006 - Black on black

I'm planning to get a Black exterior with black interior 2006 TL, and I won't take the perma-plate add-on. What special care would I need to consider and do to protect my new car - in terms of what and frequency - ie, waxing, detailing, special coats, etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Proper washing techniques are obviously critical.
Ya had to get black huh?!?
Just prepare yourself. Once you have visited this place, you'll notice everything............
Washing and maintenance depends entirely on your driving habits, so attempt to routinely maintain its appearance. Polishing will be/should be light at the offset, claying may be necessary also. Go with a Polymer protectant (I would opt for something a little nice then OTC NXT).
Oh, congrats, and ummmm...........you have lots of reading ahead of you. Theres a ton of info here put together by "been there done thats".....Last but not least, 'we're here to help".....Be prepared for differing opinions on products, but routinely, we're pretty equal.....
Old 09-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, Welcome aboard! Oh boy, another NBP! Don't get me wrong, it is one of the most head jerking color one can look at but it is a bear to maintain. You'll have to dedicate time and effort as well as a regime in order to maintain that "look". I agree 100% with Patrick - definetly a polymer protector and not OTC. Here's an example of a frequency schedule you can use and adjust to meet your needs and it's not set in stone. This is just to give you an idea of what needs to be done for upkeep. As far as prooducts go, you'll hear and get recommendations as to which one is better or best, so we'll forego that part. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of info in this forum as well as experiece. You should also visit Autopia's "How To" Library. Just curious about your username, tho, any ties to the 808?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:47 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by aloha_tl
I'm planning to get a Black exterior with black interior 2006 TL, and I won't take the perma-plate add-on. What special care would I need to consider and do to protect my new car - in terms of what and frequency - ie, waxing, detailing, special coats, etc.

I had a '05 TL blk on blk, I told myself when I got rid of my blk on blk '91 GTI I'd never get another black car. Well with the '05 NBP it was just too damn good looking to pass up. I should have listen to myself from back in 1993 when I got rid of the GTI.

What a pain in the ass to keep the NBP clean, so much that in Feb '06 I traded in it on a '06 TL ASM. Because of my OCD I couldn't keep it clean enough, I wanted it to look showroom clean ALL OF THE TIME. I don't have a gargage, so it was driving me nuts!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:33 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

You better read up.

Got two options and they both suck. Swirl city or failed clear coat.

Just dont touch the thing. Use the most gentile everything. Clear bra as much as you can afford.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:45 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

I dont know what this is: perma-plate add-on.

The 3M Clearbra sounds like the way to go. It gives you the clear coat that honda never applied. I say that honda clear is soft and thin. I say that lex had min 3x the clear coat depth.

The 3M is gonna look like crap, but not worse than the chips. You just gotta find the right places to apply. All the front bumper, all the rear bumper, all teh hood, front lights, and both mirrors.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Advanced

I agree with Patrick(Exceldetail).If you havent bought it yet, go with the dark grey..or what ever they call it. If you insist on black... dont let the dealer "prep it"., take it home park it and read all you can. I would really focus on washing. There are a lot of guides and posts on different merthods to use for washing. Get several lambskin wash mits, a good Microfiber towel kit, a good carwash shampoo, and atleast 2 buckets. That should be a start. Most important is read and ask questions before you buy anything, you will save money in the long run. See if there is another member who lives near you that can help you out. Best of luck.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Proper washing techniques are obviously critical.
Ya had to get black huh?!?
Just prepare yourself. Once you have visited this place, you'll notice everything............
Washing and maintenance depends entirely on your driving habits, so attempt to routinely maintain its appearance. Polishing will be/should be light at the offset, claying may be necessary also. Go with a Polymer protectant (I would opt for something a little nice then OTC NXT).
Oh, congrats, and ummmm...........you have lots of reading ahead of you. Theres a ton of info here put together by "been there done thats".....Last but not least, 'we're here to help".....Be prepared for differing opinions on products, but routinely, we're pretty equal.....
Thanks alot for the info. Yeah, I'd agree that I have a lot of reading and catching up. But so far it's good to have a brand new car, particularly a TL.

Btw, what is claying? Do you mean that frequent polishing may clay or cake up over time? do you have a recommendation for a good protectant, wax, or shampoo?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:57 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Hey, Welcome aboard! Oh boy, another NBP! Don't get me wrong, it is one of the most head jerking color one can look at but it is a bear to maintain. You'll have to dedicate time and effort as well as a regime in order to maintain that "look". I agree 100% with Patrick - definetly a polymer protector and not OTC. Here's an example of a frequency schedule you can use and adjust to meet your needs and it's not set in stone. This is just to give you an idea of what needs to be done for upkeep. As far as prooducts go, you'll hear and get recommendations as to which one is better or best, so we'll forego that part. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of info in this forum as well as experiece. You should also visit Autopia's "How To" Library. Just curious about your username, tho, any ties to the 808?
Yes, NBP is a nice color. I knew prior that I would need to pay more attention, but I did not realize that much attention. Yet, NBP plus Ebony is a good combo. After a few days, I already see dusts accumulating on it.

Thanks for the recommend sites.

Btw, I'm originally from Hawaii. Any cool hawaiian-related license plates?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:59 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I had a '05 TL blk on blk, I told myself when I got rid of my blk on blk '91 GTI I'd never get another black car. Well with the '05 NBP it was just too damn good looking to pass up. I should have listen to myself from back in 1993 when I got rid of the GTI.

What a pain in the ass to keep the NBP clean, so much that in Feb '06 I traded in it on a '06 TL ASM. Because of my OCD I couldn't keep it clean enough, I wanted it to look showroom clean ALL OF THE TIME. I don't have a gargage, so it was driving me nuts!!
I have a bit of OCd myself, so I hope I can remain sane with keeping my NBP clean. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 5o9
I dont know what this is: perma-plate add-on.

The 3M Clearbra sounds like the way to go. It gives you the clear coat that honda never applied. I say that honda clear is soft and thin. I say that lex had min 3x the clear coat depth.

The 3M is gonna look like crap, but not worse than the chips. You just gotta find the right places to apply. All the front bumper, all the rear bumper, all teh hood, front lights, and both mirrors.
Does this really work? I'd agree it may look not so good or cool. Any pics out there?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by FL Leo
I agree with Patrick(Exceldetail).If you havent bought it yet, go with the dark grey..or what ever they call it. If you insist on black... dont let the dealer "prep it"., take it home park it and read all you can. I would really focus on washing. There are a lot of guides and posts on different merthods to use for washing. Get several lambskin wash mits, a good Microfiber towel kit, a good carwash shampoo, and atleast 2 buckets. That should be a start. Most important is read and ask questions before you buy anything, you will save money in the long run. See if there is another member who lives near you that can help you out. Best of luck.
Mahalo! This community rocks. I did not realize what a big fanbase for Acura exists. I'll definitely post my concerns and questions here.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aloha_tl
Btw, I'm originally from Hawaii. Any cool hawaiian-related license plates?
A lot of the good ones are taken: DA KINE, KANAKA1, KANAK, ONIPAA, KOLOHE, NO KA OI, EIGHT 08, stuff li'dat. Best bet is check with DMV personalized plates listing and try come up with something. Maybe different kine spelling. I guess you know what get on my plates.

I usually on the site in da evenings and mornings, Befo I foget! Whea you stay?