Minor issue noted after waxing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minor issue noted after waxing

I spent yesterday washing my NBP TL, using claybar, and then liquid wax. I used McGuire's products and microfibers for each step. When I got it out in direct sunlight today (12-18 hrs. after I finished taking the wax off), I noticed that I could see silght haze in a circle pattern on an area of my hood. It kind of looked like I didn't totally buff the wax off enough. When I noticed this, I buffed over the area on my hood and even sprayed the detailer over it and then wiped off. Neither seemed to totally get the circles of light haze to go away.

Will these deminish after rain or a car wash? Or will they be faint until I clay/wax again?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Rewax that side .. what are you using?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM
malissatem.com

Are you seeing swirls?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Rewax that side .. what are you using?
He used meguiars but spelled it wrong.

Like Jess said, rewax. He knows his shitt
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what you are seeing is attributable, more then likely , to your claying stage. You probably introduced micro marring (very light swirls). Happens quite often during this process. To remedy, use a light abrasive polish, going in a lineal motion, usually grill to glass.
Claying is an abrasive, and it doesnt take much to mar a surface, but its a quick fix.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have "The Curse of the NBlack Pearl! ha..ha..! Black shows everything and requires special attention and care to keep it looking really nice. Like Excel Said a mild Polish should clear that up for you. You should really look into one of the refurbished UDM's Excel is selling and some buffing pads. That will keep your car looking pristine for many years to come.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
He used meguiars but spelled it wrong.

Like Jess said, rewax. He knows his shitt
Ya I saw that part but was looking for specifics ... I have experienced some Meg stuff that will leave like an oil streaking in areas if applied too heavy and uneven.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry I misspelled Meguiars, I guess I was typing this up quickly. I used Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash, Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax.

This was the first time that I had attempted claying. I thought that I could do it after reading the Car Care FAQ "Proper Claying Technique" on here.

Excel - So basically now or after the next wash, I should use a non-abrasive polish (i.e. Meguiars ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner) on the spots with the light swirls. I should apply it in a linear or straight line format instead of a circular motion that you would do for a wax? Then, another coat of wax on that area or leave as is?

I just want to make sure that I am fixing this the right way.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TLNC2005
Sorry I misspelled Meguiars, I guess I was typing this up quickly. I used Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash, Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax.

This was the first time that I had attempted claying. I thought that I could do it after reading the Car Care FAQ "Proper Claying Technique" on here.

Excel - So basically now or after the next wash, I should use a non-abrasive polish (i.e. Meguiars ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner) on the spots with the light swirls. I should apply it in a linear or straight line format instead of a circular motion that you would do for a wax? Then, another coat of wax on that area or leave as is?

I just want to make sure that I am fixing this the right way.
(Man, I wish I was familiar with more of the OTC stuff)
The Megs SctatchX is a diminishing abrasive. It would work, but I dont recommend it for the whole car. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is just that, a cleaner. It wont do anything for scratches as it doesnt contain any abrasives.
Get yourself some Megs #9 which is a light polish (If selecting OTC products). Use a small foam pad and work the product in that lineal motion until it fades/hazes. Make sure your using sufficient product to maintain lubrication while polishing. It may take a while to find that happy median. Wipe away with a microfiber, then reseal with a Polymer protectant.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

Would the Megs #9 be safe for the whole car in future uses after claying and before waxing?

I know you said to use a lineal motion for application of the #9, but what is the proper method for the protectant/wax....circular or lineal?
Thanks for your help on this.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Actually, let me retract the #9. I mean its good, but too dependant on pad and pressure for swirl removal. This is the 2nd time I have done this this week. Try Megs Speed Glaze, #80.
When applying products by hand (Not too often for me), i prefer using a back and forth motion. We try to avoid using circular motions as this is what creates circular swirls. Swirls are more evident vs. lineal scratches as anything round catches light from 360 deg's.
Attempt on a small area until your pad is seasoned with product, then you can spread your coverage area ever so slightly. Overlap your passes by about a thrid to isure even coverage. Work in the shade on a cool surface.