Long term Zaino maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 04:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long term Zaino maintenance

I have just started using the Zaino system. I must say that I am very impressed with the finish.

I have seen much written on how to apply Zaino for the first time, but very little on long term maintenance.

1) Should I clay the car, say, once a year or only when it is needed? How do I know when it's needed?

2) If I do clay the car, do I use Z-1 right after?

3) If I do not clay the car, is there a need to use Z-1 again?

It seems to me that if I QD the car and apply Z-2 regularly, I should not have to dawn, clay or Z-1. Is this true?

You can tell where I am coming from. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

SoCalCLS
Old 05-23-2001, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoCalCLS:
I have just started using the Zaino system. I must say that I am very impressed with the finish.

I have seen much written on how to apply Zaino for the first time, but very little on long term maintenance.

1) Should I clay the car, say, once a year or only when it is needed? How do I know when it's needed?

It seems to me that if I QD the car and apply Z-2 regularly, I should not have to dawn, clay or Z-1. Is this true?

SoCalCLS
</font>

I keep terrible track of time, so bear with me...

I did the full dawn, clay, Z1, Z2, Z6 startup.

I now have added an additional 10 coats of Zaino.

I really believe that if you treat the car well and on an ongoing basis, I don't see why you should have to re-clay the car and start over.

I noticed that as I added more coats, the car was easier to clean. I always keep some blue lint free paper towels (from PepBoys) handy, along with some distilled or bottled water. When I find some bugs, bird sh*t, or other stuff on the car, I immediately clean up the mess by tamping the "stuff" with the towel and the water. It will usually just come off.

If I have a really nasty bug mess, I will tamp the bugs on return, and then remove the stuff with the Z-6 gloss Enhancer.

So -- this all about incremental maintenance -- you do a little work, but every day (I don't know if you can stand it, but it works for me).

If you really layer up the Z6/Z2/Z6 combo, you will keep building up protective layers. The Z6 really helps. If you aren't up for a full day treatment, just Z6 the car the next day. It seems to help make the car feel "slick" and I can generally wipe off bugs, dirt, and road tar with a gentle wipe of a cloth.

Finally, the Z2 is not like a wax, were it polishes down the old wax layer. You should really try to keep the car perfectly clean before applying more layers of Z2. If you leave a little spot in, it tends to get stuck under the Z2. Think of the applications like applying films of plastic. You wouldn't want to put down a new clean coat of plastic with garbage under it -- would you?

So, this is way over the top -- but I decided that I would rather spend time on the car in short bursts, rather than just doing a 1 time app, and letting the car get covered with crap.

BTW -- unless something bad happens, I only have a 1mm scratch on the windshield (thank you Zaino), and two pin size pits in the grill. The rest of the paint is perfect (no spots, stains, scratches, etc).

(just my opinions....)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-24-2001, 12:43 PM
Fastdriver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoCalCLS:

SoCalCLS
</font>
I would only clay on an as needed basis. If you do clay, you will need to reapply the Z1/Z2.

Sal recommends re-applying Z1 after about every 10 coats of Z2. I am sure all this info is on his webpage.

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior. [*]Mudguards[*]Bra[*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino Z2/Z6 and three of Z5/Z6 so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's CL without Zaino!
fastdriver's CL with 3 coats of Zaino and the last two with 4 coats of Z-2/Z-6
Click here if Yahoo photos don't work.
fastdriver's previous cars. The 300M has Zaino.
Bra pics 5/13/01.

Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get!
Old 05-24-2001, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I emailed Sal once about when claying is necessary. He says he clays his cars every 1-2 years. Like EricL said, it's really all about how you take care of your finish. You could do the whole process (Dawn wash, clay, Z-1, Z-2, etc) and then park under a tree the next day and RUIN all the work you've done. You'd basically have to clay again and start all over. I don't really mind the multiple steps of Zaino. I did it when I first bought my car and gradually over the last year, I've accumulated crap on my finish. I just clayed and did Z-1/Z-2 again this past week. I could have waited longer, but just decided to do it now. I didn't do a Dawn wash because I knew the claying process would remove most of the Zaino. And since Sal recommends using Z-1 twice a year for daily driven cars it was time for me to put that on again anyways!

Old 05-24-2001, 02:33 PM
Advanced

You never have to strip or use dawn again! Also, dawn will not strip zaino. Just wash and use spray detailer and layer on coats whenever you like. clay once a year when needed and Z1 and keep layering. Use z1 twice a year minimum or every 8-10 coats!
Old 05-25-2001, 12:57 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the information. It is all good stuff. I don't think the time spent on our cars is very much, especially since the Zaino products are so easy to use. I remember the days when we were so sore from all the wax removal effort.

A small price to pay for such an investment.

------------------
SoCalCLS
Old 05-29-2001, 10:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW -- the using Z1 every 8-10 coats is NOT on his web page (either that, or I just missed it). The Z1 apparently "re-binds" the previous Z2 and/or Z5 layers with an intermediate application of Z1. I looked over the Sal's site, and couldn't find the info on the 8-10 coats requiring a Z1 (again). So, I called him up, and he said the Z1/Z2 (in lieu of a plain Z2) "locks up/strengthens the previous layers" put on the car.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic