leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather seats

i got a conditioner for my leather and it doesnt seem to clean them it just makes them soft and smooth i thought this will clean the leather cause my leather is dirty... what should i buy?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Leather conditioner is JUST THAT a Conditioner...

To actually clean the leather... you have to buy a Leather Cleaner like Lexol Leather Cleaner (read the directions on how to do so before starting)... then you follow with a conditioner...

Have fun Scrubing...
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Will chop for food...

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just like you need to clean your paint before you wax, you need to clean your leather before you condition it.

I have been very pleased with 4 Star Leather Cleaner:
http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-leather-cleaner.html

I use it regularly on ebony and taupe.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by rodneyc77

Leather conditioner is JUST THAT a Conditioner...

To actually clean the leather... you have to buy a Leather Cleaner like Lexol Leather Cleaner (read the directions on how to do so before starting)... then you follow with a conditioner...

Have fun Scrubing...
lol... sorry its my 1st time having leather.. so what should i scrub it with?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by Skwatoe
Just like you need to clean your paint before you wax, you need to clean your leather before you condition it.

I have been very pleased with 4 Star Leather Cleaner:
http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-leather-cleaner.html

I use it regularly on ebony and taupe.
how to you clean? doors where the arm rest is at where the window buttons are< that little leather patch that there is like black i just saw that shit today...
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
theres a lot of cleaners....my personal favorite is a company named malco they make a really good n strong cleaner.... you have to get a rag and dampen it then spray the stuff on the rag to clean..then come back with a dry rag and wipe...then you apply conditioner.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

ty for the info guys... but does the cleaner really work?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Oh yea it does
Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

cool ty ill be picking somethign up 2mor in target.............
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Nismo TL yo!

do you clean your hair with conditioner too?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
do you clean your hair with conditioner too?
yup... you want to know what els i clean with conditioner?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
you can use just about anything to clean your seats as far as something like a warm water and soap, carwash soap, dish soap ect...woolite is the prefered method, dilute a cap full in a spray bottle full of warm water and spray it onto the seats and wipe it down with a microfibre cloth...
Old 03-12-2009, 05:37 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Read my thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/diy-detailing-tips-pics-new-grill-709230/
Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
wow nice... my moms has a whole bunch of those pads lol im going to just take a couple and not get caught lol... ty for the info brother..
Old 03-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont recommend using the Magic Erasers for leather either. They're alright for scuffs, and situations where nothing else has helped, in/on an isolated area, but as for the whole seat? Not a good idea. They work for a reason, they are a super light abrasive which are too light to bare down with. If your actually careful, you can still cause damage as the "sponge" maintains its integrity better.
Most leather seats are clear coated with a vinyl U.V. inhibitor. They clean up rather easily with warm soap and water, and with a microfiber. Most conditioners add slickness which in and of itself is a good thing (not that it penetrates the vinyl) as it decreases the attrition when getting in and out.
Conditioner overuse, obviously, is as bad as lack of use. Stick to a schedule with VC leather, just as you do with your paint. Leather should be damp cleaned often, and conditioned every season (on average).
If your serious about your leather care, Michael Mankarious, a friend and sales rep for einszett USA has written one of the best leather care articles I have had the pleasure of reading. Here's a sample........

While popularity can sometimes be a reliable barometer, it isn’t always the correct choice. Some customers even make their decision based on fragrance alone. There is a certain romance with treating leather in much the same way as there is with waxing a car. You may laugh but let's face it, it's true. Like waxing a car's paint finish, many enjoy the process of cleaning and conditioning their leather with leather soap and natural conditioning oils. So, you can imagine the surprise when people find out that the two step process of soap and conditioning oils is a thing of the past. That simply adds to the confusion with what leather care product to choose. OK, with so many choices, how do you choose? The key to making effective choices is going beyond popularity, fragrances or whether the product is a one or two step process.

And heres the link...........
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I dont recommend using the Magic Erasers for leather either. They're alright for scuffs, and situations where nothing else has helped, in/on an isolated area, but as for the whole seat? Not a good idea. They work for a reason, they are a super light abrasive which are too light to bare down with. If your actually careful, you can still cause damage as the "sponge" maintains its integrity better.
Most leather seats are clear coated with a vinyl U.V. inhibitor. They clean up rather easily with warm soap and water, and with a microfiber. Most conditioners add slickness which in and of itself is a good thing (not that it penetrates the vinyl) as it decreases the attrition when getting in and out.
Conditioner overuse, obviously, is as bad as lack of use. Stick to a schedule with VC leather, just as you do with your paint. Leather should be damp cleaned often, and conditioned every season (on average).
If your serious about your leather care, Michael Mankarious, a friend and sales rep for einszett USA has written one of the best leather care articles I have had the pleasure of reading. Here's a sample........

While popularity can sometimes be a reliable barometer, it isn’t always the correct choice. Some customers even make their decision based on fragrance alone. There is a certain romance with treating leather in much the same way as there is with waxing a car. You may laugh but let's face it, it's true. Like waxing a car's paint finish, many enjoy the process of cleaning and conditioning their leather with leather soap and natural conditioning oils. So, you can imagine the surprise when people find out that the two step process of soap and conditioning oils is a thing of the past. That simply adds to the confusion with what leather care product to choose. OK, with so many choices, how do you choose? The key to making effective choices is going beyond popularity, fragrances or whether the product is a one or two step process.

And heres the link...........

Right.. Ive used these on about 26 cars already not a single one with a problem. If you use it correct and apply light pressure your not going to kill anything. Besides we beat this to death theres only like 20% real leather in the TL. After your done cleaning your seats you put on a conditioner. Again we don't drive a mercedes benz we drive hondas they aren't going to put fancy crap on vinyl seats.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

I dont recommend using the Magic Erasers for leather either.
Anyone can use whatever they feel fit to use.
Again we don't drive a mercedes benz we drive hondas they aren't going to put fancy crap on vinyl seats.
Well, I drive a 99 Cuad Cab pickup, that gets 1st rate treatment. Probably better treatment then what a new Benz gets at the local hack shack.
why is your buffer dirty from waxing
Because the paint wasnt properly cleaned. During that whole process, the dirt was transferered from terry bonnet, back onto the paint. Dawn soap is more often then not referred to as a wax stripper. Question is, how did it remove the wax, if it didnt get the dirt off? Your MUCH better off using a paint cleaner or polish, prior to sealing. Anytime you seal or wax a surface, the applicator should remain clean during use, unless your using an all in one type of sealant (which should only be used as a quick maintenance product).
Just my
Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With Pat. I would not recommend using a magic eraser on Vinyl or coated Leather either. If you like it then that is fine and so far it does not appear to have damaged your coated leather seats. Hope that stays the case but you may have removed the Polyurethane coating already and not realize it, then again maybe not? I like the Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and Protector lotion. The 1Z Einzett has a great one step cleaner/conditioner (Thanks for the article Pat). That product is pretty much perfect for any vehicle with coated Leather which is about 95% of the vehs sold in the USA. You can't go wrong with that either.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
The Detailer

Magic Erasers will actually remove dye from leather seats... I feel bad for those 26 cars.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

ok i just got the magic eracer and baught some leather whipes which one i use?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
9th Gear

Do you know what kind of leather Acura uses?
On coach.com, the leather cleaner is designed for specific kind of leather.

COACH CLEANER

Use Coach Cleaner on:
Soho Buck Leather
Hamptons Buck Leather
Legacy Buck Leather
Polished Calf Leather
English Bridle Leather
Old 03-13-2009, 07:28 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

fuck i got didnt get leather whipes i got cleanning whipes shit... i wanted to do this tonight..
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Racer

my advise go with the leather cleaning wipes over the magic eraser on your seats.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

^ leather wipes does barely anything. I would know because Ive had my car for over 2 years and wipes haven't done much except make the seats look greasy.. Magic clean erasers work great on our TL. Just use cleaner/conditioner wipes after. Let the leather seats air for a day and use a reg dry cloth to wipe off any excess amount of conditioner. Just PM me bro if you have an problem. The difference between some of these posters and myself is that I clean my car almost daily and have worked in a dealing shop and HAVE USED magic clean before.. in fact more than a few times.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

get some lexol cleaner and shoe polish brush (horse hair, its soft and wont damage the leather) i been using this method for awhile now and it works great.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
^ leather wipes does barely anything. I would know because Ive had my car for over 2 years and wipes haven't done much except make the seats look greasy.. Magic clean erasers work great on our TL. Just use cleaner/conditioner wipes after. Let the leather seats air for a day and use a reg dry cloth to wipe off any excess amount of conditioner. Just PM me bro if you have an problem. The difference between some of these posters and myself is that I clean my car almost daily and have worked in a dealing shop and HAVE USED magic clean before.. in fact more than a few times.
I do Not recommend cleaning wipes in general as I think they are crap as are alot of OTC detailing products but I would not recommend that anyone use a magic eraser on their leather upholstery. BUt then again I have never worked at a detailing shop/Car Wash/Dealership/Hack shop that puts swirls galore in your paint and uses harsh chemical agents that can cause damage to the interior of your car I'm just a High Quality Detailer that researches the crap out of products and materials before it ever touches a customers car and is usually tried on my own first anyway. My only advice is that if your car interior is an absolute mess and heavily stained and you want to try a magic eraser given that it prob can't make your already bad interior any worse then go for it. It may work magic for you and hopefully without removing the top coat of your leather. However if you have a nice interior and wish to keep it that way I would highly recommend that you not use a magic eraser on the interior for routine cleaning. Use a ph balanced leather cleaner and you cannot go wrong. I like Leather masters and 1z EInzett leather cleaner/conditioner. There are several other great products out there also. I'm not a huge fan of Lexol as It has darkened the leather on some vehicles. Always question and research what you read on these forums and don't take my word as the only word. Everyone has an opinion, I'm not taking shots at anyone in this post simply putting out a caution to anyone that may stumble onto this post and think Magic erasers are great tools for leather maintenance. In my opinion they are not but I admit i have not done extensive testing to find out the effects good or bad. This is my opinion and nothing more.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by conan777
I do Not recommend cleaning wipes in general as I think they are crap as are alot of OTC detailing products but I would not recommend that anyone use a magic eraser on their leather upholstery. BUt then again I have never worked at a detailing shop/Car Wash/Dealership/Hack shop that puts swirls galore in your paint and uses harsh chemical agents that can cause damage to the interior of your car I'm just a High Quality Detailer that researches the crap out of products and materials before it ever touches a customers car and is usually tried on my own first anyway. My only advice is that if your car interior is an absolute mess and heavily stained and you want to try a magic eraser given that it prob can't make your already bad interior any worse then go for it. It may work magic for you and hopefully without removing the top coat of your leather. However if you have a nice interior and wish to keep it that way I would highly recommend that you not use a magic eraser on the interior for routine cleaning. Use a ph balanced leather cleaner and you cannot go wrong. I like Leather masters and 1z EInzett leather cleaner/conditioner. There are several other great products out there also. I'm not a huge fan of Lexol as It has darkened the leather on some vehicles. Always question and research what you read on these forums and don't take my word as the only word. Everyone has an opinion, I'm not taking shots at anyone in this post simply putting out a caution to anyone that may stumble onto this post and think Magic erasers are great tools for leather maintenance. In my opinion they are not but I admit i have not done extensive testing to find out the effects good or bad. This is my opinion and nothing more.
Well said.

Do your research first and understand why a product does what it does and what adverse affects it may have. Just because working in a "shop" doesn't make anyone any better than the rest of us. However, doing research will broaden your knowledge and in effect expand on your skills.

Plus, it doesn't help anyone's cause to be close-minded...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Denzil
Well said.

Do your research first and understand why a product does what it does and what adverse affects it may have. Just because working in a "shop" doesn't make anyone any better than the rest of us. However, doing research will broaden your knowledge and in effect expand on your skills.

Plus, it doesn't help anyone's cause to be close-minded...
Could not have stated it better > > >
Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

too bad 85% of the seat is vinyl lol.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
too bad 85% of the seat is vinyl lol.
Yea....but a 100% of it has a vinyl protectant on it.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

yea ....99% of vinyl wont leave the factory without it....still comes off after some time tho
Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

all this hot i though i had leather..
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
05 TL 6mt

So....am I understanding this correctly? The center part of the leather seats (perforated area) in the TL are the only real leather areas? The other paddings (left and right parts of the perforated area) are just vinyl?

If so, could I just treat the vinyl areas of the seats with a vinyl protectant treatment such as Lexol Vinylex?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Safety Car

TL yes u can treat it with vinylex.....and that goes for a majority of cars nowadays (vinyl n leather) except for your rolls bentleys lambos etc....pretty much anything u pay for thats over 100k has leather all around including the dash... they do this because leather has a lot of imperfections so they get a good quality vinyl to match up and its a done deal. PLEATHER! lol.....the headressts we have are partial leather and partial vinyl...and that also depends on the batch they are using on that specific build date...I remember arguing with someone about them being all pleather or all leather and it was verified that it can be mixed or all one material or all another by someone i know who works for katzkin.

leather n plastic conditioners n cleaners are pretty much the same unless specified on the container that its diff.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

you ever see the bentleys with the leather dash? thats hot...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

lexol is the best product to use.... its more money but well worth it...
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
05 TL 6mt

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
TL yes u can treat it with vinylex.....and that goes for a majority of cars nowadays (vinyl n leather) except for your rolls bentleys lambos etc....pretty much anything u pay for thats over 100k has leather all around including the dash... they do this because leather has a lot of imperfections so they get a good quality vinyl to match up and its a done deal. PLEATHER! lol.....the headressts we have are partial leather and partial vinyl...and that also depends on the batch they are using on that specific build date...I remember arguing with someone about them being all pleather or all leather and it was verified that it can be mixed or all one material or all another by someone i know who works for katzkin.

leather n plastic conditioners n cleaners are pretty much the same unless specified on the container that its diff.

Thanks for the info Tripn, I'm gonna treat the vinyl parts of the seats with Vinylex. It states on the bottle that it provides some UV protection and I happen to come across a bottle locally.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I love to use Ziano Bros leather cleaner, then their conditioner.

I scrubbed my seats this weekend with the cleaner (w/small washcloths) and couldnt believe the dirt that was on my seats. I used 1 fresh washcloth per seat. Then a nice application sponge of the conditioner and SMOooth new looking, clean seats.

Ziano's stuff smells like new leather too (in fact the conditioner is called "leather in a bottle").
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
thanks for reminding me to do my bimonthly leather conditioning with my einszett leather conditioner love the smell of it too
Old 03-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by TLUWHAT
So....am I understanding this correctly? The center part of the leather seats (perforated area) in the TL are the only real leather areas? The other paddings (left and right parts of the perforated area) are just vinyl?

If so, could I just treat the vinyl areas of the seats with a vinyl protectant treatment such as Lexol Vinylex?
it depends on the batch, my 04 has a lot of leather, only vinyl is on the sides of the headrests, back of the seats, and the center seat and center rear armrest along with the rear headrests. ALL leather is covered with a coating to protect it....

you ever see the bentleys with the leather dash? thats hot...
they are really not that great, my 760 has leather dash, doors and alcantra headliner, it looks cool and feels great, but it really doesn't do anything else...

Quick Reply: leather seats