Leather Care?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leater Care?

What is the best leather care product out there.
I don’t want the best priced one, but the best from a personal experience.
Thanks
Old 02-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Retired Post Whore

I use Lexol. In my opinion I think that is the best product.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

LEXOL Leather Conditioner and Cleaner.

Do a search for lexol or leather cleaners. This has been talked about alot.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i like zaino leather-in-a-bottle. i think it smells better than lexol and is easier to apply (no buffing) and can be used on the vinyl too.

and it repels dust a lot better too.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Corrected the spelling in your title to read Leather....

I haven't done this yet (waiting for spring), however I'm leaning towards the Zaino myself, but I like reading everyone else's opinions... Keep 'em coming guys!!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Advanced

I see Lexol at the pep boys but i can only get Zaino for the ternet?
i live in connecticut and shit is a little hard to find here
Old 02-04-2002, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dsayad
I see Lexol at the pep boys but i can only get Zaino for the ternet?
i live in connecticut and shit is a little hard to find here
just get it on the internet. i think you have to print out the page and mail it in with a check or something though. it doesn't take long.

and if you spend over a certain amount (i think $20?) you get a free applicator.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

If you are NOT in a hurry to get the leather cleaned and conditioned, order the ziano - leather in a bottle. I clean and condition my leather every week so I use lexol. It's at the local store and it's not hard to find. Right now the weather is cold and I can stand the smell of lexol. When summer comes and the heat is around, I will get zaino leather in a bottle b/c the smell of leather/heat/lexol would probally be too much for me to handle.

I have a black car
Old 02-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
The two most popular ones are Lexol and Zaino.
I don't think anyone has actually done a comparison between the two.

You can also consider getting tint so
the sun doesn't fry your leather quite as much. (and/Or a good windshield sunshade)
Old 02-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Read my thread on 303 Protectant HERE

Although you all may not believe me, the guys on http://autopia-carport.com know their stuff and I highly respect their opinions. I've used 303 and it's amazing.

This was a post from one of the true experts on that board, he's been in the business for a long time.

I personally would not use any product that contains large percentages of oils for clearcoated leather seats.

The stitching is a nylon type of thread. The testing we have done, for several manufacturers, of various types of cleaner/conditioner/dressings which have a high "oil" content, have shown to be detrimental over a period of time to both the clear on the leather and the thread. It is the nature of hydrocarbon based oils to breakdown products which are made from them.

Damaging of the threads is not the main issue, as the thread is still hanging in there long after the coating is gone from the leather and it is cracked or shredded.

The company you mentioned, Lexol does make a quality PDMS dressing that is fine for clearcoated leather, it is just that probably 99% of the public is not aware that 99% of all vehicles built with leather seats in the last 10 to 12 years have a clearcoat applied to the leather. They, since they are unaware of this fact, rightly believe they are doing the correct caring of the seats by applying an oil based product to the leather.

The firm you mentioned, Lexol like many mass marketers have a developed market in place that they spent millions obtaining. I don't look for them to run out and present facts that could create a reduction in sales of their leading product.

Leather seats get a lot more body oils on them than you may imagine. Leeches through the clothing, unfortunately, there are also some bodily produced acids present also.

As far as a safe dressing, some of many we have tested, 303 is good, Vinylex from Lexol is good, Nu-Vinyl is good, there are several, Mequiar's, Zanio,etc. Each has some small differences in resin content, thickeners to make them appear richers, perhaps an added fragrance, but all use the same PDMS resin and that is what counts.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
So to sum up my post, the product you should really be using is Vinylex, not Lexol on our clearcoated leather.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:39 PM
BMW Owner

I've always used Lexol, to very good results. One important thing to remember is use a separate leather cleaner and protectant. Don't attempt to clean your leather with the stuff labeled "protectant" or "preservative".
Old 02-10-2002, 10:44 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

First one, first one!!!

Tried both Lexol and Zaino leather conditioner and cleaner in both my car and in my house on the favorite chair and ottoman.

Lexol has an odor that gets on the nerves after a few days, Zaino is more pleasant.

Lexol has a chalky residue if too much is applied on the leather - have to be careful with that, Zaino just buffs off.

Lexol is found damn near everywhere, Zaino is mail order or local distributor if you are lucky.

Zaino appears to be lasting longer than Lexol - this I know because I treated the house leather first, and it's been a few weeks with lots of wear and tear on the furniture pieces.

IMO - go with the Zaino if you can tolerate to wait for it to come to you, go with the Lexol if you need something quickly.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Sweet,

I'll have to pick up some Zaino this weekend.