Klasse Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Klasse Sealant

Anyone have good things to say about this product? I've never used a synthetic sealant before and this one caught my eye. I've always just used Meguiars or Turtle Wax and want to see what synthetics are all about.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Early Shifter

I will be applying with a 7424XP and Meguiars finishing pad if that matters when choosing a sealant.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Great sealant but no one you want to apply with a PC.

Here is some helpful hints for SG

My technique is pretty simple.

In order to apply SG using wipe on, wipe off, you should do the following:

1. Take a new yellow foam applicator and spray it with water.

Squeeze the applicator as much as you can so that most of the water is gone. All you should have is a slightly damp applicator. This will make the SG more pliable.

2. Apply a couple of drops of SG to your applicator and apply it to a section of your car (1/3 of the hood, half of the roof, etc) in a front to back motion. Once you have covered the whole section with SG, immediately wipe off the residue with a MF towel that has been lightly misted with distilled water. Wipe off in front to back motion.

3. Repeat step 2 for every section until the whole car is done.

Notes:

- As mentioned before, wipe the SG off immediately, no dry time is necessary.

- The SG should wipe off very easily leaving behind a slick, smooth, and glossy finish.

- You should use no more than 1oz. of SG per coat on a regular size car (BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class)

- Only perform step 1 one time, before applying SG to the first panel. You do NOT need to spritz your applicator with water before applying SG to each section. Once you apply SG to a couple of sections the applicator will be wet enough with SG, negating the need for more water.

-Do not use any QD to aid in removal of SG. This will / may cause the klasse SG to develop an oily haze/film down the road. I've also experienced this.

-Wait AT LEAST 24 hours before applying another coat of SG. SG needs time to cure and bond to your paint surface. If you've driven the car ANYWHERE, then wash it before applying the next layer, or else you will just re-swirl your car.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Early Shifter

Thanks for the input....well then, I'd really prefer to do a nice low speed wax/sealant buff as compared to doing it by hand.

Is there a different, high quality sealant that would match up with the PC?

I appreciate it, I know nothing beyond off the shelf general waxes.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Thanks for the input....well then, I'd really prefer to do a nice low speed wax/sealant buff as compared to doing it by hand.

Is there a different, high quality sealant that would match up with the PC?

I appreciate it, I know nothing beyond off the shelf general waxes.
Sealants don't buff anything. The majority of the detailers apply the sealants by hand. Even if you use a PC you can't get into all the small areas and still have to do a lot by hand.

The PC is used for polishing & correction.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Early Shifter

Makes sense, appreciate the information. I've been reading autogeek and other related things learning about sealants.

I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to buff a coat of an off the shelf wax followed by applying the Klasse by hand.

It seems that gets some pretty good results and gives ultimate protection.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Makes sense, appreciate the information. I've been reading autogeek and other related things learning about sealants.

I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to buff a coat of an off the shelf wax followed by applying the Klasse by hand.

It seems that gets some pretty good results and gives ultimate protection.
All sealants need a good surface to bond to to perform properly .. putting it on over a wax won't work.

Your best off if you want good results is to;

1) Polish out any swirling you have with the PC and the proper pads/polishes.
2) Wipe the surface down with a 50/50 mix of IPA and water or use a precleaner like Klasse AIO.
3) Apply the Klasse SG
4) if you want you could top it with a carnuba but most of the OTC waxes have enough cleaners in the they will remove a portion of the Klasse SG.

Your better off to layer the SG for better looks & protection.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Early Shifter

Wow, I have a lot to learn about the technical working in the detailing worlds. I really appreciate the insight.

About a week ago I applied scratch/swirl remover by hand and removed almost all of the imperfections I set out to.

This weekend I gave her a Meguiars clay rub down and gave her a 4K RPM buff with a polishing pad and Meguiars Polish. I'm really happy with how that came out and it is now time to add the finishing touches.

I think I will get the Klasse sealant and apply it by hand, maybe one coat one weekend and a 2nd the following after a thorough wash.

The only thing that worries me is that I really like the deep, wet look waxes give and have read that sealants are more of a plain looking finish. I just have an obsession right now with trying a quality sealant for the first time ever. lol
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So much i want to say, too little time to say it....
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've always heard great stuff about Klasse products. Dale (Jesstzn) is a master at this stuff-he's got some outstanding input for you!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Early Shifter

Originally Posted by Disbe
So much i want to say, too little time to say it....
?

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I've always heard great stuff about Klasse products. Dale (Jesstzn) is a master at this stuff-he's got some outstanding input for you!
It sounds like it, he cleared up a lot so far.