Just what is a "Waffle Weave" Drying towel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Just what is a "Waffle Weave" Drying towel?

What are they?
Probably the most revolutionary drying product of the decade to say the least. A blend of finely tailored Polyamide and Polyester, usually a 80/20 mix of micro thin stands, much much thinner then human hair. Normally crafted overseas as labor fees are affordable. Unfortunately, it makes economic sense to the end user and importer.

Waffle weave towel is softer than cotton and more absorbent than a chamois. Its ability to absorb up to ten times its weight in water makes drying large surfaces quick and easy. Another great benefit to this superior drying towel is its ability to polish while drying, leaving a lint and streak free finish.
Waffle Weave drying towels are blended in a way to create thirst pockets, which not only "wick" water, but also act as pockets which can safely hold foreign debris safely away from the cars painted surface. This is probably just as important, as their ability to absorb so much water. And this is also why they are so much better then what grandpa used to use, the natural chamois.
Chamois and Absorbers actually pin debris against the cars surface and the chamois. We all know you can't wipe with a chamois or Absorber, you have to literally drag in on the surface.
Hmmmmm......so there's that grain of sand that became dislodged while you were rinsing, and its too small to detect, but winds up between the chamois and the paint. Now, drag that chamois off the surface. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together here does it?
Exceldetail sell the above pictured, Monterey Waffle Weave drying towel. Alot of our Monterey sales come from people who have heard about it being discussed on various detailing community forums. Its widely accepted, as one of the best drying towels available. We have actually seen it selling elsewhere for upwards of $19.99.
We're proud to say, we still sell it for under $11.00, every day of the week. Add your Acurazine discount, it's under $10.00!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Scratch $19.99, "Do I hear nearly $24.00 ?"
Old 05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice write up Pat. I have tried a waffle weave and it seemed to not want to dry the car at all.

any tips you can give for the first timers with waffle weaves. I still use your microfibers to dry after wash.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Drifting

You pretty much just lay it on an area and it sucks up the moisture let it set for a few seconds then drape it over a new area. It's the best way to dry your car with the smallest chance of scratching (besides using forced air)

If your towels arn't working they might just be shit... even though a cheap ass beach towel(not a suggestion) should in theory do some drying so /boggle.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro

yeah I've tried using it similar to how I use the microfiber towels and it just didn't work, Its a Meguiars waffle weave, so it should be a pretty good towel, although as we know nothing is as good as Pats towels!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXHunter05
yeah I've tried using it similar to how I use the microfiber towels and it just didn't work, Its a Meguiars waffle weave, so it should be a pretty good towel, although as we know nothing is as good as Pats towels!
are you using the sheeting method at all?? are you trying to dry up a sopping wet car? I have 5 Megs WW, for the price they are great!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
The Detailer

By far my FAVORITE WW MF towel at a great price. I'd probably cry if Patrick stopped selling them... that or steal whatever was left in his warehouse!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Pro

yes I do use the sheeting method (taking the end of the hose off and sheeting the water off before drying) and my car is sealed with FS UPP.

just find that when I've tried it seems the towel goes over the car and the water either doesnt move or just streaks along
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Racer

weird...I dunno then, maybe I need to buy one from Pat and see if I need to give away these to friends..LOL.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

nice write up Pat. I have tried a waffle weave and it seemed to not want to dry the car at all.
Maybe its what your washing with? The Montereys are really stellar at soaking up water.
Truthfully I just fold em up and wipe away. I always use an associate towel to follow up with, usually a Seafoam White.
Denzil, I have since moved and added an additional padlock since your reply!!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Maybe its what your washing with? The Montereys are really stellar at soaking up water.
Truthfully I just fold em up and wipe away. I always use an associate towel to follow up with, usually a Seafoam White.
Denzil, I have since moved and added an additional padlock since your reply!!
I promise you it won't stop me Pat!

DO NOT DENY ME YOUR WW's!!! <3
Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Matt

Originally Posted by TSXHunter05
yes I do use the sheeting method (taking the end of the hose off and sheeting the water off before drying) and my car is sealed with FS UPP.

just find that when I've tried it seems the towel goes over the car and the water either doesnt move or just streaks along
Let it soak up more as opposed to wiping. I find that I need to use 2. 1 for the initial 5-10 second soak up, and then wipe with the 2nd. Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
WW also dry better once they are a bit damp.

My method

1) Take a 24 x 36 towel and fold it in 1/2 long ways and hold it by the 2 ends. Pull it over the car starting at the hood and walk to the back of the car pulling it over the hood, windshield, roof, rear window, across trunk, over other 1/2 of cback window, roof, windshield and hood.
2) Flip towel over and walk down the sides of the car pulling the towel over it, Do the back then front.
3) Take the second towel and fold in 1/4 and dry the windows then hood , roof, trunk then the sides and the front/rear.

Second towel will hardly be wet.

I have about 5 different brands of WW and all work the same.

Also to the OP what have you washed the towels in?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Drifting

^

I thought the point of laying them over the car is so you don't have to drag them (risking scratches)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Josh99CL
^

I thought the point of laying them over the car is so you don't have to drag them (risking scratches)

There is a big difference draging a WW over the car as opposed to dragging a Chamoius or an Absorber over the car. With a WW there is no friction and also if by chance there is a particle the WW has a place for it to go .. the Absorber etc doesn't.

Also with a WW your not using pressure to pull it across the paint as there is no resistance.

I dried a polished out black Passat like this for 3 years and had no scratches.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Gotcha, thanks for the info.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Pro

Also to the OP what have you washed the towels in?

I haven't washed the waffle weave, I only tried using it twice and then went back to the microfibers.

Pat, I'm still using the NXT wash until its gone
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Pro

Hey Pat,

How long will this towel last for, providing you ONR wash the car once a week?

Also, you machine wash this towel after EACH car wash, right?

I might have to pick another one up. I currently have one, and I absolutely love it!

Also, I have some of the yellow WW's, (glass ones). They're unbelievable on the glass. I had the hardest time finding something that didn't streak and or leave hazy marks behind when cleaning the windows. This towel solved my problems - they're absolutely fantastic!

Just wondering - can the yellow WW's be used to dry the paint after an ONR, or no?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hey Pat,

How long will this towel last for, providing you ONR wash the car once a week?

Also, you machine wash this towel after EACH car wash, right?

I might have to pick another one up. I currently have one, and I absolutely love it!

Also, I have some of the yellow WW's, (glass ones). They're unbelievable on the glass. I had the hardest time finding something that didn't streak and or leave hazy marks behind when cleaning the windows. This towel solved my problems - they're absolutely fantastic!

Just wondering - can the yellow WW's be used to dry the paint after an ONR, or no?

Thanks!
Well, I still have my WW towels that I initially bought from Patrick in 2005. I machine wash them after every wash but I have enough of them where I can do a separate loa with them. You can use the yellow ones on paint too, IIRC.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
my only problem with the ww towels, is that you need about 3 to do the whole car...once they are saturated, you need a dry one....other then that, they are great....

i do like patrick, and fold them and wipe away....
Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vinnier6
my only problem with the ww towels, is that you need about 3 to do the whole car...once they are saturated, you need a dry one....other then that, they are great....

I find that odd cuz I use 2 and
the second one is hardly wet and neither are saturated. I do use a couple different ones for door edges and wheels but even those don't get saturated.

Do you flood the water off the car before you start drying?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Instructor

I use 2 WW per car.I just wring the first towel when it gets saturated then use the second towel to get the small amount of water that remains on the car.The second towel does not get very wet.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey Pat,

How long will this towel last for, providing you ONR wash the car once a week? You should get at least a couple years out of it if you use it weekly. I still have the one I bought before I owned my business.....(And I use it)

Also, you machine wash this towel after EACH car wash, right? Last batch of waffle weaves I did waited three weeks.....

I might have to pick another one up. I currently have one, and I absolutely love it! Excellent! I have seen them elsewhere, for nearly $24.00 for the identical towel. Quite a bargain at $10.99

Also, I have some of the yellow WW's, (glass ones). They're unbelievable on the glass. I had the hardest time finding something that didn't streak and or leave hazy marks behind when cleaning the windows. This towel solved my problems - they're absolutely fantastic! Thats exactly how the Tumbler came aboard. I used it and was so happy with how it cleaned glass, I though this would be a good addition. Its nothing more then a manageable size WW, slightly altered WW design, which works great for glass.
2 for $6.00 is a good deal also......

Not an issue. They work great on paint as well....
Thanks![/quote]
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
The Detailer

I only need (technically) one and a half WW's. My second really doesn't get all that wet, especially since I sheet most of the water off.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Racer

I used my WW on my wifes car today, really only needed one, but like others have said, it barely gets wet. Mine are Meguiars WW btw. Will soon though probably buy 2 from Pat when I get some more LC pads, love the two I just got from him.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 AM
DESI miern

i got a TurtleWax waffle weave on sale for like $4 at a local store.. havent tried it yet, but if it doesnt work, ill be giving you a call