Just got my UDM

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
hates the winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my UDM

With Sonus swirl buster. Topped off with Ultima Paint guard plus. WOW all my swirls and minor defects are gone. I love this machine, and the products. Just a quick night pic of how it came out. Took me all day.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
awesome! Got a UDM for xmas, but haven't used it yet, it's be cold and snowy for the last we weeks.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks good so far. Take some more pics to really show it off.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:33 PM
hates the winter

Thanks, yes I have to take some better pics with good lighting to show off the clarity of the paint. Very easy to use and great results.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow Looks awesome! Really wet looking. I am planning on doing my car tomorrow (Gonna be 65 degrees here whoo-hoo) I just got some Ultima PGP for xmas so I am looking forward to trying it out. Seems to make your metallic flake POP and I have alabaster silver metallic so I hope it looks as good. (More pics) How many coats of PGP did you put on? I have tried it on my mother in laws car last week when I was in NY but it was so cold the second coat was either put on too thick by me or it just wasn't bonding correctly because of the temp? i thought it looked good but I wasn't blown away and I was not too impressed by the slickness. Again I am not sure if the temp had something to do with it?? Anyway your car looks great!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
hates the winter

Originally Posted by conan777
Wow Looks awesome! Really wet looking. I am planning on doing my car tomorrow (Gonna be 65 degrees here whoo-hoo) I just got some Ultima PGP for xmas so I am looking forward to trying it out. Seems to make your metallic flake POP and I have alabaster silver metallic so I hope it looks as good. (More pics) How many coats of PGP did you put on? I have tried it on my mother in laws car last week when I was in NY but it was so cold the second coat was either put on too thick by me or it just wasn't bonding correctly because of the temp? i thought it looked good but I wasn't blown away and I was not too impressed by the slickness. Again I am not sure if the temp had something to do with it?? Anyway your car looks great!

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, it's finally warm for a while her up north. It was about 50 today so I decided to strip off the old PGP to get rid of the scratches.

As far as your process, yes you made a few mistakes. First you shold wash and stip off all the old wax/sealant using dawn, and then follow up with claying the car, then wash again. Make sure the car is 100% dry. I used Ultima's Paint Prep first (recomended) You may be using too much PGP, you only need a light mist/coat. Temp should be in the 50's and you need to let it cure for a minimal 05 6-12 hrs before applying another coat.

They should have sent you an instruction booklet as well. Read it and be sure to follow it.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
First you shold wash and stip off all the old wax/sealant using dawn, and then follow up with claying the car, then wash again.
Is this per Ultima?
Ive never found a D-wash worth much when Im polishing or cleaning the paint anyway. 99.9% of the time, I dont recommend it.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

The combination of claying and polishing will remove any previous layers of protection. That said, using Dawn or any dishwash is really unnecessary. You could also give it an IPA wipedown before applying LSP.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
hates the winter

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Is this per Ultima?
Ive never found a D-wash worth much when Im polishing or cleaning the paint anyway. 99.9% of the time, I dont recommend it.

No, it's just a process I use when I decide to strip off all the old wax/sealant and start with a fresh canvas. It is kind of harsh, but I don't do if often. Actually it's only been done once before since I've had the car.

After this detail I don't think I'll have to do that again because this is the first time I have done paint correction and I plan to keep the car meticilious. I just really wanted to be sure everything was gone and I was down the swirls so I could be sure i was removing them because I know sealants fill in swirls, i wanted them removed. I had about 10 coats of PGP on the car already.

I was surprised how contaminated my paint was after claying because I try to keep my car very clean and protected. I'll definatly be claying my car more than 2x a year from now on.

I have to say that I should have purchased this machine a long time ago. The only thing your hands should be doing is putting on the final wax/sealant. You can't really remove defects by hand.

Last edited by ChrisQ1980; 01-06-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, it's finally warm for a while her up north. It was about 50 today so I decided to strip off the old PGP to get rid of the scratches.

As far as your process, yes you made a few mistakes. First you shold wash and stip off all the old wax/sealant using dawn, and then follow up with claying the car, then wash again. Make sure the car is 100% dry. I used Ultima's Paint Prep first (recomended) You may be using too much PGP, you only need a light mist/coat. Temp should be in the 50's and you need to let it cure for a minimal 05 6-12 hrs before applying another coat.

They should have sent you an instruction booklet as well. Read it and be sure to follow it.
I did a full detail on her car. Wash, clay, Compound polish, finishing polish, IPA wipedown then the UPGP. I used the UPGP on my car this past week 2 coats and again I am not super impressed by the slickness. It's very smooth but compared to Wolfgangs deep gloss paint sealant it doesn't come close in slickness or gloss in my opinion. I'm kinda disappointed.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
hates the winter

That's really odd, for me it is VERY slick, smooth and glossy. It's like rubbing baby oil on the car. lol

Well if you are happier with the Wolfgang, you should stick to that. It's also a very good product. Maybe you can get autopia to give you your money back if you arent satisfied with it. I'm pretty sure they would work something out with you.