I totally regret getting a black car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I totally regret getting a black car

It's just too freakin hard to maintain... and I havn't even had the car for a month... I got black because I felt it was easily the best color for a Type S. Wish there was some sort of deal where I could take the car back to the dealer for a new color... like white or silver...

Exceldetail, I hope that John1C guy you referred to me is good Not for his sake though, but for my sake. I mean if I don't get the quality I was expecting/hoping for then no big deal... But I sure will feel a lot better knowing that whenever I need a quality wash or detail that I can go to someone I can trust. It would even make me not care when the car is dirty because I know that there is a skilled guy who can take care of it once in a while if needed! Anyway, I am confident he is good. I've seen his gallery and what he can do with swirlmarks

You know, I've seen detailers in person doing people's cars, and they violate every rule that you guys say SHOULD be followed. At the very least I am happy I found this board. I've truly learned something and have infinite amounts of respect for all the guys that post here and detail so well (I've seen the pics).

Anyway... I've tried 3 times to do my car and have failed all 3 times... Water spots ALL OVER even when I do it completely out of the sun. Besides that, every blemish stands out like a sore thumb because its black... I also suck so bad at waxing that I gave up after doing the hood.

*end vent*
Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh hell no. Your not giving up. You picked it, and were going to show you how to care for it.
Patience is #1 with black. Theres no sense in trying to do a complete job, with only 1/2 the truth, and 20% of the skill. What we can do for you is provide you with the proper steps, and product advice. The skill you WILL acquire in due time.
My first advice to you though is equip yourself with proper wash products. Lets get the technique down, and maybe a one step before Winter sets in (Dale, can you hear me laughing?)
I will let some others chime in, then we can get ya set up.
John can take care of you, no doubt, but Im here to help you first and foremost. Im also here to help a fellow detailer when its convenient for both prospect and business, but getting you up and running is my main goal. I would like to think Ive steered more folks into self sufficiency, then guided detailers into profit! (No offense John)
I know Steve (Who owns a NBP TL will chime in) His level of expertise is probably a little more then you need at this juncture, but Im certain he can help with the basics as well.
Theres a ton of folks who would be more then willing to join this thread and assist you.
I'll say it again, great folks, great detailers, and great advice all abound here at Acurazine Wash and Wax.........
Im happy to sponsor it!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Instructor

well thanks for the response...

But I am done for. I was never ever good with my hands anyway. I can't build anything, wash anything, I have no dexterity, heck you should see me write things on a piece of paper (people even tell me I hold a pen weird). Truly, I seem to have zero luck in drying my car. That is the one step I cannot accomplish properly. I use like 8 huge microfiber towels (very soft ones). Maybe I am not applying too much pressue (trying to avoid swirls). Whatever it is, if I can't dry a car then I cant do wax or apply sealant.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
not with that attitude!! get back in there! practice makes perfect =)

actually

practice does not make perfect
practice makes you better... and better... and better.. and better...!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i am with you bud, i have kbp and it might as well be nbp...i regret not getting white or silver, but i just fell in love with the blue...i already looked into trading it in on an 08 in silver or white, but i guess i am just going to ride it our for a few years....it just shows every stinking little rock chip and scratch...where silver and white dont...my last car was silver, and i am ready to go back...

i would say since you already have the car its time for you to start a new hobby and get into taking care of that black as its very rewarding when you take care of it and it will show when you do...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
This might help a bit after your detail

Car washing

This is important as improper washing and drying methods is the major cause of scratching and swirling in the cars clear coat.

1. Hose the car down really well first and rinse it of before you wash

2. Washing: Wash your car when it is cool and in the shade. Air drying is the main cause of water spots, and the heat from the sun and the paint surface only amplifies the effect. Invest in a sheepskin mitt and car wash soap. Others will say different but as long as its not an el’cheapo bargain brand most car wash soaps are ok. Wash a panel .. rinse a panel. Its better to wash gently with more strokes than to rub hard and cause marring in the clear coat layer.

3. Final Rinsing: For rinsing, remove whatever nozzle you usually use from your hose, and rinse the car with the open end of the hose, with a low water pressure. You don't need a jet of water pummeling your car now that it's clean. Just let the water "fall" onto the surface, and you'll see the difference! Definitely helps with the drying process as it will pull the water off.

4. Drying: The plush MF drying towel and the Waffle Weave are both popular for drying. I use just the Waffle Weave MF. Before you dry take the nozzle off the hose and with a gentle stream of water run it over the car, it will sheet 90% of the water off for you. I hold the first towel by the corners and pull it over the flat surfaces and it pulls most the water off then I use the MF towel to finish off the body. NEVER use the same Towel to dry the wheels/door edges as you will possibly fill them with crud and scratch the car in the next drying. Same reason to use a seperate wash mitt to wash the wheels. Get a cheapie mitt from WalMart for that.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Hang in there marshall28. I recently just bought my first black car, and although it requires more work (and perfect work at that!), the color really makes certain cars pop.

Patrick, would this be a good idea for marshall28? It is actually a selfish question since I have been thinking of getting one for myself. ("this" is a hyperlink to "http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=47673&pd=301333&recvie w=51"... but "this" doesn't show up right on my web browser)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Mike, its actually a step in the right direction. The Power Dry works best when there is actually existing protection. Or if you have a fairly powerful blower. I dont have a lot of experience with leaf blowers, and the one illustrated is a cordless, with good power but maybe not quite enough longevity for auto work.
However, any time you can minimize hand work (even surface contact), especially on black, its a step ahead. Takes a little getting used to as well. New techniques take a little patience and motivation to perfect.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,027 Posts
White is as bad as black if not worse, stick with the black, and like these guys said, learn how to deal with it, it's taken me years to learn how to properly deal with my black paint, and I'm still in the reconditioning phase
Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Like most members will suggest..the sheeting method as the final rinse will help A LOT.
If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot. It'll make drying with a (WW) Microfiber that much easier..
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as stated above the "falling water" rinse is the best way to really get alot of the water off the car when your done washing. plus keep in mind that upkeep weekly after you have a good base down will make things much easier for you! you can do it, you just have to try and try again.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
03 ABP tls

try seeing if that detailer guy will let you watch or even help out with washing your car before he details it. maybe you just need some visual learning
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
i like it dark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was in the same boat as the OP, i came from a sundance gold CL-S that hid every drying streak or water spots pretty well...then moved onto an 08 NBP TL with nav....after my first wash i was ready to give the car back...got a few helpful hints from some on this board and picked up:

eagle 1 nano wax car wash
chenille and/or sheepskin mit
WW towels
countless MF towels
duragloss quick detailer
and a few others

i take alot of pride in cleaning my NBP, it takes close to an hour and a half just to wash...to avoid water marks, i soak my car down after every panel i wash (if washing in the sun)...i prob use atleast 2 WW towels to dry the car, doesnt leave TOO TOO much water streaks...after my wash, i get to the quick detailer to help get rid of some of those streaks...when i'm done QD'ing, my car looks incredible...once you get it right, you'll enjoy washing your baby, i promise...DONT BE A QUITTER ha
Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
White is as bad as black if not worse, stick with the black, and like these guys said, learn how to deal with it, it's taken me years to learn how to properly deal with my black paint, and I'm still in the reconditioning phase
please.....white is not even in the same league as black when i comes to what shows....
Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BackinBlackTL
i was in the same boat as the OP, i came from a sundance gold CL-S that hid every drying streak or water spots pretty well...then moved onto an 08 NBP TL with nav....after my first wash i was ready to give the car back...got a few helpful hints from some on this board and picked up:

eagle 1 nano wax car wash
chenille and/or sheepskin mit
WW towels
countless MF towels
duragloss quick detailer
and a few others

i take alot of pride in cleaning my NBP, it takes close to an hour and a half just to wash...to avoid water marks, i soak my car down after every panel i wash (if washing in the sun)...i prob use atleast 2 WW towels to dry the car, doesnt leave TOO TOO much water streaks...after my wash, i get to the quick detailer to help get rid of some of those streaks...when i'm done QD'ing, my car looks incredible...once you get it right, you'll enjoy washing your baby, i promise...DONT BE A QUITTER ha
Why are these WW towels so popular? Are they better for drying than regular microfiber towels? I saw some of those waffle weave towels at walmart and they seemed like they could scratch the car if I tried to dry with them. Are you just intended to pat dry with them or what? Also, sheeting doesn't work if I take it to a self car wash place because the water sprays. Its also really hard to sheet the water off if i do it at home because the surface is sloped... factor in the sun and well... ugh..
Old 10-07-2008, 05:29 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Quitters never WIN!! Do you really want to lose a battle with paint? lol

I'm actually new to this too and I have a NBP.
You should really stick to it. Hey, do you guys think NRWS can help with his drying/water spot problem? I've only heard about it, never used it though.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Quitters never WIN!! Do you really want to lose a battle with paint? lol

I'm actually new to this too and I have a NBP.
You should really stick to it. Hey, do you guys think NRWS can help with his drying/water spot problem? I've only heard about it, never used it though.
if i can wash and dry my car without getting water spots, then i can do the same with black...if i can do it then so can he....

he just needs either better technique or working speed, or a combo of both....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
The Detailer

I own a FBP Integra since 2001 so I know what it takes to maintain a black car, hehe. Once you get the hang of it, maintenance becomes a breeze. Just keep at it!

If you have some money to toss around, you could always invest some money in a CRSpotless, hehe. I plan on doing that myself soon along with purchasing a Karcher pressure washer; both from Costco.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
please.....white is not even in the same league as black when i comes to what shows....
I had a white car. Easiest thing in the world to clean up. You could drag brushes across that thing and it would still look fabulous. Drag a brush across a black car and they'll see it from Mars.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Keep the car wet at all times also when washing. Dont let it dry out.......
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 AM
The Detailer

Oh yeah, QDing or spray waxing as you dry always works well too, hehe.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
White is as bad as black if not worse
You must be joking? I have had several black vehicles and several white ones over the years and some other colors in between. White is BY FAR the easiest to maintain. I will say, that you will see road tar spec's easier on white than another color, but that is only when you are really up close looking for it. Black is probably my favorite car color, but the absolute worst to maintain, so I will stick with White, Silver or other lighter forgiving colors. Red is also a very tough color to maintain IMO.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:09 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Patrick is right. You can not expect great results if your technique and experience do not match. It took me a while to learn what I know about detailing. I can not tell you how many threads and videos I have watched soaking up every detail. Properly washing your car is the single most important step you need to know. Once you know how to maintain a paint finish then you are on your way. While this site is full of great information I suggest you visit other detailing sites on the web. The products will vary but you will quickly see basic fundamental techniques that you should focus on perfecting. For starters, check out threads started by myself, Exceldetail, Jesstzn, and TSC17 just to name a few.

Last edited by SweetJazz; 10-09-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Racer

i have a blue one. i think best color for 2nd gen is blue that is why i got this. black is also pretty color for me but i would still stick to blue one.

for 3rd gen, i prefer black most of all, because it looks truly executive.

so dont be ashamed of what color you have. just try to learn what everyone said and you'll be fine.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
spaz

i have nbp on my 2nd gen and its definitely not pretty
i dont know what the previous owner did but there is tons of touch up paint horribly done, micro marring, and still some giant scratches. i half want to just call it quits and get a new paintjob but i am nowhere near having that kind of money so its a project. we will get through it together haha.

first step is a full clay. then yellow pad with ssr3 until the car starts bleeding bwahaha. still not sure on the course of action for the touch up paint crap. langka...
Old 10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
It might take a little more care and attention, but black is undoubtedly the best looking color when it's clean.

I was using the two mitt method. I have one lambs wool mitt for the top of the car, hood, trunk lid and doors down to 10" from rocker panel. Then, I have another (the older one) for the bottom 10" of the doors, the bumper covers and the rocker panels.

After flooding the surface one last time (in the shade, of course), I start with the roof and spritz it with Eagle Wax-as-you-dry. Then, I use a rayon drying towel (like in the ShamWow commercial) by laying it on top of the wet panel and drawing it to me by the corners. It "blots" most of the water from the surface.

Then I used the Waffle Weave large blue microfiber towel to get the rest of the water and buff.

My base sealant is Zaino Z2 and Z5 which I do about twice year since the car is garage pampered and I am in Florida.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Beautiful TL! Besides the Z2 & Z5, what do you use as a paint cleanser prior to using Z2/Z5?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dude, i love black.... it's the shiniest... gives the most depth out of all the colors (most of the time) and looks great... then again i have a black car... any my wardrobe is literally white, gray, darker gray, black.... a few color shirts here and there...

no im not emo.

but yeah it takes a lot to care for a car, esp a dark car... esp black.... but man it looks SOOOOO nice when clean.. oh man.... *orgasm*

good luck!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Let's Go Pens

Marshall keep your head up man. It took me about 6 months before I was satisfied with my wash results. Get your products from Excel Detail and just put aside a weekend or two or 3 and before you know it you'll have your NBP looking great. No offense but If you're shopping at walmart for your towels and cleaners this might be your first mistake
Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Beautiful TL! Besides the Z2 & Z5, what do you use as a paint cleanser prior to using Z2/Z5?
Since my car has been garaged since new and since it has only 14k miles on it, I have only used a cleaner/polish a few times for spot care. I have Meguiars pro stuff but I don't remember the number and I'm currently on the road. I clayed the car when new. I took delivery with the plastic covers in place and spent 3 days detailing it myself. I clayed to get the rail dust on day one

I have clayed once more since then and stirpped everything with Dawn, then re-Zaino's everything.

THe car has only seen rain 3 times since new. I don't drive it in foul weather.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
So Slick, bugs dont stick

Good luck marshall. stick wit it! I shouldnt talk cuz i gots da wdp lol. My dad has a black stang and he babies the hell out of it, i also detail and i notice things he does wrong and now it has a few swirls..BUT im sure you will get the hang of it. Once you start rolling, you wont stop oh, and
I take it to a self car wash place
thats a no no.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Since my car has been garaged since new and since it has only 14k miles on it, I have only used a cleaner/polish a few times for spot care. I have Meguiars pro stuff but I don't remember the number and I'm currently on the road. I clayed the car when new. I took delivery with the plastic covers in place and spent 3 days detailing it myself. I clayed to get the rail dust on day one

I have clayed once more since then and stirpped everything with Dawn, then re-Zaino's everything.

THe car has only seen rain 3 times since new. I don't drive it in foul weather.
What do you drive in foul weather? Your ride looks amazing dude.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I had a white car. Easiest thing in the world to clean up. You could drag brushes across that thing and it would still look fabulous. Drag a brush across a black car and they'll see it from Mars.
I have a WDP and it's sooooo easy to take care of! I wash it 2-3 times a month and even when I do wash it still looks clean. I do have to admit though a freshly cleaned and waxed Black TL is very sexy!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Best quote I've heard about black paint (I have no idea who to give credit too though)

"Black paint is not a colour; it's a part-time job"
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Best quote I've heard about black paint (I have no idea who to give credit too though)

That's comedy gold, right there!

I just finished my two-day fall ritual. 2004 TL with 64K on it. The hood is all chipped up, but she still looks pretty good. Don't give up, Marshall, it does not take a handyman wizard to do this. I learned to do it right at a 300M forum (my last car) and more here.

You're getting good advice here. One other tip, after washing, if you have a good wax job on there, get some detailing spray. That with a microfiber towel will take any waterspots right off.

I like Meguiar's Final Inspection and order it by the gallon to refill my pump sprayer. Any of those kinds of products from the auto store should work getting the spots off though.

Wash, dry. Let it sit for a while to get really dry. Then give it a walk around with the detailing spray and you'll get the inevitable spots in short order. You'll always have a few. Don't make yourself nuts over it, just come back and get 'em with the detailing spray.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT

Agreed. For me, it is a labor of love!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
haha welcome to the club

my 97 cl is in the midst of a complete paint machine restoration this whole week (unfortunately using a porter cable and not a rotary) and im in my 10th hour of polishing and still not done getting out all the defects. The car has been with the family since it rolled off the lot brand new in 97, but my parents pretty much treated it like ass for over 9 years before handing it off to me. So it was in dire need. Hopefully going to finish tomorrow. But yeah, black definitely takes patiences, regular upkeep...and the right products/techniques to keep it looking swirl free once you have a good foundation. Dont give up though...nothing beats the look of a black car when it's perfected