How to remove baked on brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to remove baked on brake dust?

Can someone tell me the best product to use to remove baked on brake dust? I want to clean the wheels on my wifes car as they are looking pretty bad. The face of the wheel is fine, it is the inside of the wheel that is dirty. There is also glue from old wheel weights that is covered in brake dust that I need to remove. If you can give me any advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i just got rims and on the lip part of the rim theres like brake dust thats is on it and makes my lip looks duel. what can i use to shine it back up?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
use some wheel cleaner, P21S makes a really good one. If you want something OTC, the black-magic one is good enough, but you will need to agitate it a bit with a brush. It's best you take off the rim and wash it inside and out. Use some Goof-off to take off the glue from the old weights. After doing all of this cleaning, its a good idea to get them balanced again properly so you won't be throwing off any weight/balance
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what came to my mind first:

Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel is a water-based cleaner that safely cleans all types of tires and wheels!

Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel is an advanced, state-of-the-art wheel cleaner designed to properly clean all wheel finishes. Using breakthroughs in non-ionic surfactant technology, Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel safely cleans tires and all types of wheels including factory clear coated, painted, polished, chromed, aluminum and anodized.

The active ingredient in this Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel replaces the harsh acids and buyhol ether found in most tire and wheel cleaning products made in the USA. While are effective cleaners, they are also very harsh on skin and soft metals, like aluminum. These chemical are also known to cause respiratory distress when inhaled and are unfriendly to our environment. The new ingredient in Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel is the state-of-the-art in non-butyl cleaning technology, and meets California's strict environmental safety standards.

This is not a spray-on, hose-off cleaner. All spray-on, hose-off cleaners are harsh and unsafe. Ultimate Wheel

Cleaner Gel requires some agitation from a sponge or brush to break the bond between the brake dust and the wheel. With Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel, a light brushing is usually all it takes to remove even caked on brake dust and road grime.

As mentioned, your going to need alot of agitation for stubborn brake dust.....
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
use some wheel cleaner, P21S makes a really good one. If you want something OTC, the black-magic one is good enough, but you will need to agitate it a bit with a brush. It's best you take off the rim and wash it inside and out. Use some Goof-off to take off the glue from the old weights. After doing all of this cleaning, its a good idea to get them balanced again properly so you won't be throwing off any weight/balance
+1 on the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner and the rest of the advice. You could follow up with a metal polish after for the stubborn caked on brake dust, then I'd recommend following up with some Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant to help make maintaining your wheels significantly easier. Using an E-Z Detail Brush is another great investment for maintaining the inner barrels of your wheels.

Here's a good read on how Esoteric Auto Detail cleans and maintains wheels.

Hope this helps.

George