How to protect paint?? Bird droppings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Happy in the Abyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to protect paint?? Bird droppings.

My car is usually garaged, however, there are times when it actually is used. Bird dropping was on my car for approximately 2 hours and then I washed it off. It left a permanent mark in the paint/clearcoat which I haven't been able to rub out. Car had recent Carnuba on it. Any recommendations for something to protect Acura paint that is better than wax?
I note that I have owned BMWs for several years and I have never experienced paint damage from birds before - seems like very poor paint on the TL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 09-07-2004, 09:01 PM
100k miles club

what kind of wax are you using? is that what carnuba is? i use Meguiars NXT, one coat and it's been good so far. longest i left bird doo doo on my car was about 6 hours out in the sun while i was at work. i then used Meguiars Quick Detailer to get it off and it didn't leave a mark
Old 09-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93421
Old 09-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There was another thread in hear about a guys paint being damaged by bird shite and my paint was damaged too. I think the conclusion was there wasn’t much to protect the paint if the bird droppings where left on the paint for a long period of time. The best way was to get it off your paint ASAP. They said to carry a bottle of spray wax or a bottle of water mixed with something but can’t remember. I guess bird droppings are very acidic and eat at the paint.

Edit: oops looks like some one found it. Must have replied at the same time
Old 09-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

I had a similar problem on the front bumper with a bug stain. I tried different cleaners and waxes with no luck and finally gave up. When running my hand over the stain, you could not feel it. The stain seemed like it had gotten into the paint somehow. After a couple of months, the stain has slowly disappeared. I can no longer see any remnants of the stain. I hope the same will happen for you if you aren't successful in removing the stain.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:17 PM
VTEC is happiness

Hey all,

well, I encountered the bird sh*t from hell today. I am not sure how long it was on the car (probably over the span of the last 4-5 days). WOW, what a pain in the ass to get off. I am going to explain now how I did it, but first a caveat...my car color is SSM, and therefore it hides scratches quite well. So, if you have another color, please try this technique on an inconspicuous spot first!

After reading the above (and the thrilling discussion of "is it basic or acidic?", I tried Windex (desperate times call for desperate measures). I had worked up the ladder from auto soap to cleaner wax and NOTHING was touching the crap. I put some Windex (contains ammonia) onto a terry towel and worked at some of the smaller, less obvious deposits. It worked, but it required a lot of time. I constantly changed the location I was using, so holding the bottle in the other hand was imperative. After nearly 45 minutes, I managed to remove all of the paint deposits. I am having a really difficult time with the trim, however. It is much more stubborn, and I have given up for tonite.

to finish, I wiped all the areas that I had worked on with a detailing spray (which now resides in the trunk for emergent, urgent removal of the sh*t). The next bird that flies in front of me is getting hit. I will apply wax this weekend.

Hope this helps, if anyone has other ideas, I would love to hear them (never thought I would resort to using windex on my paint).
Old 10-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've found that most quick detail spray, Zaino included gets off bird crap if you let it soak for a minute or so, then you can blot it off carefully with a towel. Don't rub..just blot it off or you definately will scratch the paint..bird crap has grit from seeds and other stuff they eat.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's some good advice, Im going to keep a quick detailer bottle and a microfiber towel in my trunk from now on
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Instructor

I've used that bug and tar remover for bird droppings, works well...

MOD EDIT (Neuronbob): Moving to Wash and Wax
Old 10-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Racer

I clay and do the full 4 steps only to find that bird crap still leaves a mark in the clear coat. What are these birds eating? Whatever it is I would think should kill the birds long before it eats at my clear coat!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Advanced

1st you should always have a good coat/coats of wax/sealant on your paint to protect it. But still it is not safe from the bird droppings if left on too long in the sun.
2nd, as soon as you notice the bird doo on your paint, remove it ASAP. If you have your ID with your or not, use spit if you have to. If you can, take a wet towel and put it over the poop to soften it and then remove it.
Also, it's easier to remove scratches crated by your fingernails on the clearcoat than the bird doo acid etching into the clearcoat. In most cases, if the etching has happened, it is very hard to remove depending how deep it is (compound and sometimes wetsanding is needed).

The best advice is to get it off asap or as soon as you notice it and hopefully it is early enough to prevent any etching.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Prevention prevention prevention....
A good polymer layer or two is your best defense, followed by an emergency kit in your trunk or glove box. You should have a maintenance polish, polymer, and Instant detailer, with a couple MF's. For bird droppings, apply generously to area, and surrounding area, let it sit several minutes to resoften, then remove in a "rolling" fashion with the MF.
Theres really no safe barrier with birds, you just have to do your best, knowing youve done everything possible!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:51 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Bird Excrement:
(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid) which if left for any length of time the will cause the clear coat to ‘cloud (a non-transparent area) or etch (a depression in the paint) or glass surfaces, so they should be removed without delay. Birds use gravel to digest their food and grit and sand are some of the major components, so take your time and be careful when removing them, pre-soak contamination with Isopropyl Alcohol (to neutralize the acid) and use detailer's clay and a lubricant to remove any grit etc.

To prevent any possibility of scratching, use a mesh sponge (Autopia Soft Scrub Insect Sponge) and plenty of soapy water for lubrication to remove excrement residue, thoroughly flush with clean water, re-apply surface protection. If the paint film or glass surface has been etched (a concave surface) it may require an abrasive polish to level the surface. The sponge can also be used on glass, plastic, clear coat paint, vinyl, chrome and fibreglass

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement; they will provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Bird Bombs

Here is a good link to a site on how to remove these. (not to endorse it, since I don't use ScratchX.)

IMO, a polymer/ acrylic sealant on top of the clearcoat will prevent nightmares. Sometimes we don't notice the bird damage until we clean the car days after.

Excel's idea of an emergency kit is definitely a must. A soft household white paper towel is a much better proposition than the brown gritty ones from the gas stations.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicman17
Here is a good link to a site on how to remove these. (not to endorse it, since I don't use ScratchX.)

IMO, a polymer/ acrylic sealant on top of the clearcoat will prevent nightmares. Sometimes we don't notice the bird damage until we clean the car days after.

Excel's idea of an emergency kit is definitely a must. A soft household white paper towel is a much better proposition than the brown gritty ones from the gas stations.
This is what I have found to be the toughest:
http://www.premiumautocare.com/3mpershowcar.html
'It usesa flourinated monomer in an acrylic base which polymerizes when exposed to the atmosphere to create a tough, durable finish. It also contains polysiloxane's and 2 types of quality wax for clarity and shine.