How much UPP do I need and other newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Outta my way!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much UPP do I need and other newbie questions

Hi gyus,

finaly got a 2 car garage and decided to invest some money in detailing tools/products. Last time I detailed cars using PC was about 10 years ago, so not exactly a newbie here, but with the advent of polymers and foam pads and MF I am a bit lost.. Help please!

I decided to get the following products:

PC set with 6" foam pads
Sonus pad and MF wash

SMR - Sonus SFX1,2 and 3 - seems like more value and precision compare to USMR.

Polishers - UPC and Klasse AIO. Klasse is widely used, UPC seems like a new product?

UPP - the BIG question is how much I need? I can't seem to find 64oz bottle on any site I have 2 cars to detail - 99Accord and 04TL, will do one coat only, both cars are silver, please advise. I usualy do waxing twice a year.

Also, does UPP deliver better results then Klasse SG ? Basically I am thorn between Klasse and Four Star products in polishing and sealant department.

How often woud I need a 4" pad, should I get it at all ?
My paint is in good/like new condition, periodicaly use Turtle compound/3M hand glaze/Meg's Gold Class wax on both cars, all by hand for now.

And a finalle question: I already clayed/polished/waxed my TL a few weeks ago. Now, once I get my hands on PC and all of the above, should I just polish it with UPC or AIO, and then cover with UPP or is there any more steps I need to strip existing (Meg's Gold Class) wax ?

OK, now realy the last one: when using foam pads with PC, if I just finished polishing with say blue pad, can I use it right away to apply a sealer or do I need to use another clean pad?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Outta my way!!

And how long is shelf life of the above products? don't want to buy too much and then find out it's gone bad.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AIO will remove the existing Gold Class Wax.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

I'll take a shot at what I can...

I've not used Klasse, but I am a big, big fan of UPP. You will need VERY little. A 16oz bottle will last you quite a long time, even with two vehicles. Shake well, then shake some more, and then for another 30 seconds once you think you're done. Apply a very thin coat and let it set up for at least 30 minutes - the longer the better. If you follow the above to a tee, you'll find it to be the easiest product you've ever used. If it's not well-shaken, or you apply too much, I can almost guarantee curse words.

UPC is very gentle. I think of it as a final detailing step prior to applying a topcoat. I'd liken it to Poorboys Professional Polish in terms of aggressiveness and results, but again can't compare to AIO. Commenting on the above post, UPC will remove the wax, so no other steps will be necessary.

I've not used a 4" pad with the PC. I believe you'd need to swap counterweights, if not the backing plate as well, if you plan to switch between 4" and 6" diameter pads. I suppose the 4" might be better around trim pieces, but I've never had an issue with 6" pads. I usually tape off trim ahead of time.

I'd recommend cleaning the pad before switching products. If you expect to use multiple products with the same type of pad, it might be worth the investment to pick up a couple extra pads to save time.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Outta my way!!

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
I'll take a shot at what I can...

I've not used Klasse, but I am a big, big fan of UPP. You will need VERY little. A 16oz bottle will last you quite a long time, even with two vehicles. Shake well, then shake some more, and then for another 30 seconds once you think you're done. Apply a very thin coat and let it set up for at least 30 minutes - the longer the better. If you follow the above to a tee, you'll find it to be the easiest product you've ever used. If it's not well-shaken, or you apply too much, I can almost guarantee curse words.

UPC is very gentle. I think of it as a final detailing step prior to applying a topcoat. I'd liken it to Poorboys Professional Polish in terms of aggressiveness and results, but again can't compare to AIO. Commenting on the above post, UPC will remove the wax, so no other steps will be necessary.

I've not used a 4" pad with the PC. I believe you'd need to swap counterweights, if not the backing plate as well, if you plan to switch between 4" and 6" diameter pads. I suppose the 4" might be better around trim pieces, but I've never had an issue with 6" pads. I usually tape off trim ahead of time.

I'd recommend cleaning the pad before switching products. If you expect to use multiple products with the same type of pad, it might be worth the investment to pick up a couple extra pads to save time.

Good luck!
Thanks VroomVroom, I actually was influenced by your earlier posts here to get UPP
I am glad I'll need VERY little (I'll get 16oz) 'cuz stuff is not cheap, do I also need VERY little UPC if I decide not to use AIO?

By cleaning the pad between multiple products, do you mean just brushing it off with some brush or washing it ?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Hey VroomVroom,
I thought you were only supposed to leave UPP on for 15 minutes? Have you found leaving it on for 30 minutes is better?

Vash68, I believe he means cleaning it (ie washing it) of all the product that is in the pad from whatever you were doing before using it with a different product.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

I'm a little more liberal with UPC, but even at that you only need a light coat. It is a cleanser, so you want to spend a bit more time working it in if applying by hand. UPP - any topcoat, really - you're just wiping on lightly.

The more time you can give it to set up, the better. I've always heard 30 minutes minimum, and usually leave it on for 45 - 60 minutes. (If you're detailing two cars, this is perfect. Last weekend, for example, I applied UPP to my SUV, then applied and removed Natty's Blue on my wife's TSX, and completed a few other minor tasks before removing the UPP.) The biggest factor there is sunlight. You definitely need to work with UPP indoors or under cover. That's one of the things that makes Poorboys EX-P an attractive alternative if you're forced to work outdoors.

I'd fully wash the pad before using a different product with it, but that's just me. Again, I've never done otherwise, so you might get some better and different advice from the pros.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
That sounds good,.......Im going to leave UPP on the car for longer this time when I do my detailing next weekend. Thanks VroomVroom.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Outta my way!!

Thanks a lot guys for your help,

I will be ordering FourStart UPC and UPP tonight since you make it sound soooo goood

Does application guide comes with these products and is it good enough? I can find all about Klasse online, but 4* seems to be a well kept secret
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Yeah, I noticed that too. I got all my info from the pro who recommended it, as well as from Dwayne, the former owner of premiumautocare.com. In any case, the bottles will have instructions. UPC is very user-friendly. I think the only mistake you can make with it is applying too much, or perhaps applying it in sunlight without removing it right away. It really is a final step before your LSP/topcoat, so as long as you don't expect it to remove swirls or anything more aggressive, you'll love it. It'll leave the finish very smooth. I generally apply by hand with a MF applicator, but you can certainly use the PC.

UPP, as I mentioned above, can be the easiest product you've ever used, or the most difficult. I still have memories of coaching a friend through the final step of a detail on his brilliant silver Mercedes E Class. I thought for sure I stressed the concept of "light coat" to him, but man...he lathered it on like peanut butter. Anyway, in my experience, here are the rules for UPC:

1. Shake VERY well. (And actually, keep shaking the bottle periodically as you apply.)
2. NO direct sunlight.
3. Apply a very light coat using a foam applicator. If the environment is controlled (i.e. indoors, or adequate protection from sunlight) go ahead and apply to the entire vehicle. I've worked in driveways where I needed to do half a car at one time, and then park it in the reverse direction for the other half.
4. Let the product set up for at least 30 minutes.
5. Remove with a MF towel. This step will be a good indicator of how well you applied it. It should come off with just the least amount of effort.
6. Stand back, take a sip of the beverage of your choice, and be amazed at both the slickness and the 'pop' of the finish. Lay your towel on the hood and watch it glide right off.
7. If time allows, apply a second coat after 24 hours. This is a great way to ensure you didn't miss any spots when struggling to apply a light coat the day before. It will also add even more slickness, durability, and pop.
8. As with any sealant, depending on the color and character of your finish, you can apply a topper of carnuba. This is particularly stunning on dark colors and pearlescent finishes. For what it's worth, here's a shot of my pickup after coats of UPP > P21S:

Here's my SUV after two coats of UPP:

I hope that helps...sorry this is such a long post!
Old 04-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually let UPP sit for about 20 miutes to 1/2 hr. About as long as it takes me to completely apply it. Youll be pleasantly surprised with its ease of use, and remarkable appearance.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:41 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Did head to head comparison on roof between 4* UPC and swirl remover. No difference (no swirl to begin with). They both changed the color of the paint remarkably. UPC is an easy "polish" to work with by hand, so effortless you figure it is not working.

Everybody likes the Klasse AIO, but I'll stick with UPC because it is so easy.

For me, getting the thin amount on of UPP was hard to do. Think of physics, where they describe thin as a drop of oil that speads throughout a huge steel sheet. That thin.

With the UPP I was working at around 50 degrees, with close to 100% humidity (rain). Would not haze. Left it on overnight, hazed, and gave a wonderfull finish. On a dark car the reflection is sharp compared with carnuba. I think I'll top with carnuba to tone down the sharpness, add more depth.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vash68
Thanks a lot guys for your help,

I will be ordering FourStart UPC and UPP tonight since you make it sound soooo goood

Does application guide comes with these products and is it good enough? I can find all about Klasse online, but 4* seems to be a well kept secret
Autopia has recently started carrying Four Star as part of it's lineup. It's not a user's guide per se, but gives an overview of what the product does. I feel the tips given by Vroom and exceldetail, given their experience with the product will steer you in the right direction regarding use of the product. The one simple rule I learned over the past couple of years and possibly the biggest factor of using any product is "a little goes a long way".
Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Outta my way!!

Those trucks look hot VroomVroom! Thanks for the guide, I guess I need to use VERY LITTLE of UPP

I checked autopia's guide to FourStar lineup when I was ordering from them, but found it too generic. I was hoping to get something more precise for PC uses (since I already invested $200 in it i.e. what propell/speed to use with USMR, UPC, UPP ?

You guys all seem to be applying/removing UPC and UPP by hand, is it just the matter of preference ? Or is it just me who got tired of quite a few years of detailing my cars by hand?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vash, I know the overview about Four Star was very vague. I think your best source would be to contact
Four Star via email and direct your specific questions there. As far as application goes, I do believe it's a matter of preference. I'll do UPP by hand and polish/cleanser (UPC, I opted for PB Pro Polish) by machine at a speed of 4 - 4.5 with Blue (light cut) Propel pad.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 05-02-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Thanks! Did I mention, you'll apply a very light coat of UPP?

Great advice above on the application of UPC. Another positive vote for Poorboys Pro Polish, by the way. I love the stuff, and find it to be very consistent with UPC. The advice I received on UPP was to apply by hand to allow for ample setup time before removal.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
UPP performs very well, and probably goes a lot farther with a PC, thn most think. I have probably done 20 cars with 1 bottle....(And still have quite a bit left.)