how do u guys clean the calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do u guys clean the calipers?

I noticed my 08 TSX's calipers are very dirty....
so how do u guys clean the calipers?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Take the wheel off, get some brake cleaner and a wire brush. Spray and scrub. When you're done scrubbing, get some black caliper paint, preferably the brush on type and paint each caliper.

The caliper will get dirty again but it won't be as noticeable because of the dark color.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by n0rmal
Take the wheel off, get some brake cleaner and a wire brush. Spray and scrub. When you're done scrubbing, get some black caliper paint, preferably the brush on type and paint each caliper.

The caliper will get dirty again but it won't be as noticeable because of the dark color.
what brake cleaner and wire brush should i get?
is it ok not to paint them? or u do that because it wont get dirty again easily?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 AM
I ♡ PEK PEK

The wire brushes looks like these:

You can get brake cleaner from any local auto parts store.

The only reason I paint the calipers black is that even when they're filthy, it's hardly noticeable. I'm doing it to my car as soon as I change all my rotors/pads next week.

You don't have to paint them if you don't want to.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Callipers:

A way to spice up the look and at the same time protects the callipers from corrosion. The Calliper Paint System features aircraft quality paint, available in six different high gloss colours, Red, Yellow, Blue, Silver, Black, & Purple. The paint is heat resistant up to 925oF; this paint won't start running into your brake pads, it also seals and protects against corrosion.

Brake dust and dirt will not adhere to the calliper surface since adding the paint. The kit includes everything you'll need to get the job done, besides paint you'll also get reactor (special bonding agent), high tech calliper cleaner, mixing sticks, and a brush. Do not attempt to paint the rotor contact surface. G2-Performance Engineering Inc.

Cleaning

Ensure that the brake callipers are cool to the touch; never use a cleaner on hot callipers, wheels or brakes. Use a pH balanced cleaner just for an extra level of safety. Spray the cool calliper with d-limonene (citrus) based solvent (P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel or P21S Polishing Soap, which contains micro-abrasives) agitate with a soft brush and then rinse off with clean water. Wipe surfaces with a soft wash mitt, sponge or micro fibre towel.

Protection

Apply a protection to the face of the calliper using a polymer sealant (the melting point of most waxes is too low for the heat attained by wheel / calliper surfaces) similar to that used on your paint (Wheel Wax, Zanio, Duragloss, Opti-Seal, etc)

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.