How to clean this?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to clean this?

I have rust in the area between my wheels and rotors. What can I do to remove/clean/fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Racer

wd-40?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
No WD around calipers!!
The easiest way would be to remove the wheels and use a brass brush. Its not on any clear coat is it?
Your going to get rust after washes from the ferrous in the pads.

Last edited by exceldetail; 08-09-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by exceldetail
No WD around calipers!!
The easiest way would be to remove the wheels and use a brass brush. Its not on any clear coat is it?
Your going to get rust after washes from the ferrous in the pads.
The tech at this car parts store advised me to clean the hub and then spray paint it. I bought sand paper, paint and painters tape from him. I will give it a try today and post the results.

Anything you guys seew wrong with this course of aciton????
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Are we talking about rust on the brake rotor,.............or rust on the wheel hub (ie where the wheel meets the surface that the bolts that hold it on stick out of)?

Not a bit deal if its on the rotor.

If we are talking wheel hub, thats not a big deal either really. After this past winter when it was time to take off the winter wheels and tires I had quite a bit of rust on the wheel hub. I used sand paper and an electric drill with a metal brush attachment to clean off all the rust from the surface (being VERY careful not to damage the bolts). After things were cleaned up I applied an acrylic spray to help prevent rust. This was done by using a little template I made to protect the rotor and callipers from any of the spray.

I will post a few pics in a minute.

Last edited by West6MT; 08-09-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Ok, I dunno if this is even what we are talking about,....but here are a few pics of what I was saying I did on my car. Sorry if any pics are a bit blurry.

After taking one of the wheels off,...rust.

After cleaning it up.

My template to protect things around the hub.

Lastly, the hub after the acrylic has dried. (its a different one than the other pics haha). Note the purple colour.

I should note that when spraying on the acrylic, I put tape around the bolts to they didnt get anything on them. After spraying I removed the tape and whipped the bolts clean just incase.

Last edited by West6MT; 08-09-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by West6MT
Are we talking about rust on the brake rotor,.............or rust on the wheel hub (ie where the wheel meets the surface that the bolts that hold it on stick out of)?

Not a bit deal if its on the rotor.

If we are talking wheel hub, thats not a big deal either really. After this past winter when it was time to take off the winter wheels and tires I had quite a bit of rust on the wheel hub. I used sand paper and an electric drill with a metal brush attachment to clean off all the rust from the surface (being VERY careful not to damage the bolts). After things were cleaned up I applied an acrylic spray to help prevent rust. This was done by using a little template I made to protect the rotor and callipers from any of the spray.

I will post a few pics in a minute.
Thanks West6MT. The hub is what I was concerned about. I will get the acrylic rust preventative spray and apply it after cleaning the hub with sand paper and a wire brush. Can i paint the hub as well, exactly on the surface area wher eyou used the acrylic spray???
Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I forgot to to talk about the spray. I dont know where you would find this stuff. My dad has a few cans of the stuff, and told me it was safe to use. He is a chemist and has all kinds of crazy chemicals kicking around. I will take a pic of the can later today so you know what it looks like, but I cant recommend where or what to buy at a store. I knew it was safe to use because he knows what he is talking about (although its just acrylic spray).

Also, I would be careful with using a wire brush. You dont want to mark the heck out of the wheel hub etc, and you want to be careful of the bolts. I would try using a few different grits of sand paper for cleaning off the rust first to see how it goes. I kept a towel over the callipers when I was taking off the rust to keep particles away from them.

In any event, the whole idea of using the acrylic spray was for the prevention of rust. I dunno how well it worked (should work well though) since I have not taken the wheels off myself yet. The dealer has rotated the wheels though,........so im not sure what to expect now when I take them off in a few months for winter. It it possible that when they took the wheels off the acrylic came off as well. So I dunno how well it worked,.......but should have worked well. Im just putting out suggestions and ideas. I will update with results later.

I dunno about painting the hub,.........I guess you could.