How best to remove layer of dirt before regular washing ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:28 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How best to remove layer of dirt before regular washing ...

I haven't washed my car in a few months due to the cold winter weather (snow, freezing rain, icy winds, etc.), and it's taken a toll on the exterior. There's a layer of dirt that has accumulated. The only thing that has kept the dirt from building-up too much is the occasional rain or shower. Since buying the car, I have washed it by hand, preferring not to use car washes ... even the ones advertised as "brushless". When the weather gets warmer, I will resume my washes, but I would like a method for removing the layer of dirt first before the regular wash. I'm thinking of a foam product that I could apply all over the car first that would loosen the dirt before the regular hand wash. I would like to minimize the abrasive effect of the dirt whilst washing. So if there is a foam product out there that I can easily apply, say with a hose, I would like to hear about it. Also, would it be a good idea to clay the car afterwards ... it would the first one. Washing ceased back in December. There have been no swirl marks prior to the hiatus. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
What about a hose with a powerful stream to knock the dirt off - if you have a warm water hook up, try that as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine-review-pics-384012/
Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In response to your question about claying. I would recommend using a claybar during your first full exterior detail after the winter season. Most enthusiasts clay twice a year, during the fall right before winter and during the spring. Here's a very informative about automotive clay.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
my car was pretty nasty from the salt and sand the past few days, I just wanted to blow the heavy stuff off it before washing it tomorrow when the weather warms up a bit. I took it to a self serve car wash, first time Ive been to one of those in years, I went over the car thoroughly with the pressure washer with the soap mix, then rinsed it good...I didnt dare dry it and just drove to my girlfriends house about a mile away. After it dried I was amazed at how clean it actually came out. I still wouldnt dry it...but its certainly a good way to at least get it looking presentable for $3 in the winter
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
7th Gear

You know what, I think I will take my car to a car wash place that has self-serve and power wash the crap off my paint. MWalsh9152, thanks for the suggestion. Dirt and salt have accumulated to the point that it's embarrassing. I'll do what you did and drive out of there without drying. I just want a preliminary prep before the actual wash/detail.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

Update: After further reading about the Optimum No Rinse and Shine (ONRS) system, I am more inclined to test this environmentally-friendly approach to car care. And from what I've read, it appears to clean very effectively. I have avoided (automatic) car wash places in recent years, mainly because I believe they harm the finish of your car, and second because they seem wasteful (in terms of water and energy usage). Although I would like to power wash the dirt and salt off my car, maybe the gentle, controlled and eco-friendly approach may be the solution I've been looking for. I will order the ONRS system (spray applicator and ONSR solution) from Excel Detail. This may actually change the way I wash my car from now on ... for the better I hope.