Help! Removing paint specks from NBP paint!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007 | 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Help! Removing paint specks from NBP paint!!

Hello everyone, i just need some guidance in restoring my cars paint finish. Recently I have begun working at a new job, its a welding business and I have been driving my 05 Nighthawk Black Pearl TSX to work. The shop I work at has a paint room where all of the railings and other such things get painted. This paint room has a ventilation fan which pulls the excess paint mist out of the room and outside. I park my car roughly 40 feet away from this ventilation fan and my car is not in the direct line of the fan. I went to have my car washed and waxed yesterday and after the wash I noticed that a very fine mist of small specks of paint have collected all over my cars paint!!

The specks arent very noticeable until about 5 feet from the car but they are all over the entire exterior of the car and you can feel it when you rub your hand over the paint. The paint used in the shop is an oil based enamel. I have begun searching around and have come to the conclusion that clay bar may be able to remove these paint specks so I intend on having may car taken to a professional detailer for a full service.

My main questions are does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to possibly remove these paint specks and restore my cars paint finish? Will clay bar be enough to remove these specks? And can anyone recommend a good quality and reputable detailer in New Jersey, preferably Union County area? I'm willing to go as far as New York as long as I know im getting the best quality detailing for my car. Please help.
Old 06-07-2007 | 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Clay will do the job, but will it be enough? Depends on your perspective of "good enough" especially with NBP. I would recommend a polish and seal afterwards, with no reservation....
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:06 PM
Cruisin'

but would you say that clay followed by polish and seal will be enough to restore my car to a near new shine? I really just want my paint to look like it did the day I picked up the car, I know thats probably not possible but I want to get as close as I can. I am definitely going to a professional detailer in my area to have the work done as I don't really trust myself with something of this level of work and I would rather let a professional take care of it. The only issue now is finding a good reputable shop in the NJ area.
Old 06-07-2007 | 08:04 PM
Bagel Bomber

for the amount a decent shop might charge for a detail to your liking, it will probably be pretty close to the upfront costs of a PC, a few pads, and a polish.....just a thought!

Goodluck either way. With 05 paint, anyone knowing what the are doing should be able to get it looking new again (if not better!)
Old 06-07-2007 | 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
Goodluck either way. With 05 paint, anyone knowing what the are doing should be able to get it looking new again (if not better!)
Just reading that makes me feel so much better, well I'm going to try looking around and ask some locals their opinion on a good detail shop and hopefully I'll get the car detailed sometime this weekend, if anyone has any info on a shop though, please let me know
Old 06-07-2007 | 09:10 PM
Instructor

Big question.... where do you live, it might help us to recommend a detailer to you or maybe one of us could look at it for you, depending on where you live.

just my
Old 06-07-2007 | 10:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Hardrock, your a knucklehead..........lol

And can anyone recommend a good quality and reputable detailer in New Jersey, preferably Union County area?
Old 06-07-2007 | 11:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Hardrock, your a knucklehead..........lol

OOPS!!! damn... I hate it when I dont read EVERYTHING.....Makes me look like a idiot... LOL

oops.. well, dont know of a good detailer in NJ and I cant take a look at it since I am in Colorado....so I got nothing....

The clay should take care of that overspray, but it is going to require quite a bit of elbow grease to get all the spots off. Once you get it cleaned up, I would be looking to park as far away from that ventilation vent as possible, like in the next block.... LOL
Old 06-08-2007 | 12:03 AM
Cruisin'

yea I have started parking my car around the corner from the shop now to avoid the vent, just have to get the car cleaned now
Old 06-08-2007 | 02:43 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

You might try a phone call to Sal Zaino (NJ) I'm sure he could recommend a VG detailer in your area.

As was stated clay might solve the problem, if it doesn't / or if it leaves marring then take it to a pro detailer (which you were going to do anyway?)

FWIW: To my simple mind it should be so easy to publish / upkeep a detailers directory, to which a fee (tax deductable as a buisness expense) would be charged for set-up / maintenance etc
Old 06-09-2007 | 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

Well I have registered over at autopia and I have found a few detailers in the New Jersey area. Now I am just discussing pricing and the actual procedures used by each individual detailer so I can decide who will be detailing my car.
Old 06-09-2007 | 04:25 PM
Bagel Bomber

thats a great site.....tons of information over there. goodluck make sure you take picture to show us when its done.
Old 06-09-2007 | 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

absolutely, I have to make sure to remember to take before and after pictures of the entire car so I can post them here on Acurazine. I pretty much have my detailer picked out already, I had a nice conversation with him today regarding the services he offers and he absolutely impressed me with his knowledge and understanding of car detailing. If everything turns out great I will let you guys know who he is and how to contact him, I have an appointment scheduled for this coming Saturday.