Help with picking a mechanical buffer/polisher

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Help with picking a mechanical buffer/polisher

So I have a craftsman orbital buffer that isn't cutting it for my paint situation. My wife has a black Acura TL I baby the paint job as much as possible use microfiber towels when drying and a microfiber wash glove. I don't take it to car washes or anything of the sort. Well I still have swirl marks that drive me NUTZ!

I have been looking on autogeek.net for buffer's, I have heard the Porter Cable orbital buffer mentioned a lot. I do have a friend that has a rotary polisher who said he'd teach me how to use one of those, he said he's never had a problem with burning paint.

So once I figure out a polisher I need pads, there are too many to choose from! I need help with that! If you need more details or a picture of what the paint looks like to better help just let me know and I will do.

I currently use Meguires NXT wax and have their GoldClass along with their 3 stage combo. We still have my wife's old 97 toyota Tercel to experiment on learning how to use a new buffer so if a standard non orbital buffer will get me the best results then I'm okay with that I just need the help picking a good quality polisher.

Thanks for the help guys!

I also have this posted here Help with picking a mechanical buffer/polisher

Last edited by chayos00; 09-12-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I own a rotary and do NOT recommend its use to the casual user or somebody just getting into detailing. For starters there is quite a learning curve and secondly, it can border on overkill for somebody who is just looking to keep their cars looking nice. Once you use it for the main correction, chances are you'll never touch it again and you'll have blown $250 for pretty much nothing. The reason I have one is that I detail cars on the side and wanted something more powerful for use on those difficult and abused paint jobs. Having moved up from using a random orbital, I can say the rotary can be real bear to work with and you have to devote every ounce of your focus on using it because if you lose concentration for a second, it'll bite your head off. Case in point: I burned the plastic trim on my Hyundai Santa Fe when I was polishing the doors back in June. Before I even realized what was happening, it was all over. I didn't realize just how mentally demanding the rotary was until I switched back to a random orbital for finishing down a Honda Fit I corrected back in July. It was like switching from a wild, bucking Mustang to a children's carnival pony. I say these things not to scare you but to give you a perspective on the situation.

Get the PC...you won't regret it. It's a wonderful machine for those starting out and is capable of everything you're looking for in a buffer without the mental abuse that comes with a rotary.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^agreed

Get the PCXP for starters, then go from there. If your doing your personal vehicles i wouldn't think that you need more than that
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
In most cases your better off to buy the PC and supplies in "non" kit form .. then you get to select exactly what you need.

How about this ;

1) PC here --> http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424xp_5polisher.htm free shipping and you get the backing plate for 5.5" pads

2) 2 orange pads

3) 3 white pads

above bought here --> http://www.westcoastdetailsupply.com...hing_Pads.html

4) Optimum Polish 32

5) Optimum Compound II 8oz

6) Optimum Hyper Compound 8oz

above bought here ---> http://www.westcoastdetailsupply.com..._Polishes.html

7) Duragloss 105 TPP 16oz

Above bought here ----> http://www.westcoastdetailsupply.com..._Sealants.html
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Items 3,4& 5 above could be replaced by Optimun Hyper Spray.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Racer

Okay guys, I like the way PortlandRL put it. You have the rotary buffer for that first correction and then you'll never need it if you have a DA PCXP. Okay so the rotary buffer is out of the question now. I guess I should get a picture of the surface to give you guys a better idea of the condition of the paint, for helping to choose the rest.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
^^^ Items 3,4& 5 above could be replaced by Optimun Hyper Spray.
Stuff is awesome........
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Racer

Okay I've been looking on Dual Action Orbital Polisher & Accessories I was thinking of getting the Lake Country CCS Smart Pads 5.5 inch Professional Foam Pads or the Cobra Cross Groove 6.5 Pads or Lake Country Kompressor 6 inch Pads

So from what I'm seeing I'm going to choose the Orange and White pads, but what about the (even softer going into further finishing) Grey, Blue, or Red pads?

Also what do you guys use to remove the waxes? Just a cloth to wipe off or another pad to remove the wax?

Current paint polish/waxing supplies. I actually haven't used that rubbing compound yet, I initially got it for "fixing" a spot left from someone who left a ding in my 4runners door.

Water spots from the garage door dripping after our monsoonal rain's here in AZ.

Water spots from the garage door dripping after our monsoonal rain's here in AZ.

Marks left by my Craftsman Orbital buffer.

Marks left by my Craftsman Orbital buffer.

It's hard to see here since it's in the garage, but out in sunlight these are easy to see. They are marks left by my Craftsman Orbital buffer.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:32 AM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd strongly recommend a dual-action/random-orbital polisher and some good polish to correct that paint. I know from experience that it's more than sufficient to correct Honda/Acura paints. I recommend the Griot's Garage machines as they're more affordable and offer more power than the Porter Cable options (the Griot's 6" is only $129) and have provided me with years of trouble-free service.

Here's my Crystal Black Pearl TSX after correction using the Griot's Garage Random Orbital polisher and some Griot's Machine Polish 3. It's topped with Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant, applied by hand, and Blackfire Midnight Sun carnauba wax, applied by 3" machine.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Stick with the 5.5" pads .. and sorry to say but all that stuff you have isn't going to work well with the PC ... it will work but not well.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Racer

Stick with the 5.5" pads .. and sorry to say but all that stuff you have isn't going to work well with the PC ... it will work but not well.
Thanks for the feedback on the stuff that I have, so once I have a DA buffer really the only good thing I have is the Clay bar and the QD right?

On the 4Runner forum the guys over there are recommending the Flex 3401, I found a video on Youtube comparing the 2 and I have to agree that it looks like it works quicker and does better at correcting stuff. Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424 HD

If I went the route of the flex from what I'm seeing the 6.5" pads are what it uses correct, where as the 7424XP I would use 5.5" pads.

I've been doing a lot of research the last few days, and I do say that I'm just sure confused about what compound, polish, sealant, and wax to use. OMG too much to choose from!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
The Flex is not for beginner/novice, it's capable of doing damage pretty quickly just like a rotary can. Some people love it, and some hate it.
I'd say stick to a PC 7424XP or a Griot's 6 inch ROP. With the Griot's, you can use 6.5 inch pads, that's what I use personally and don't have any problems doing correction work.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

QUOTE=CU2MIKE;12336096]The Flex is not for beginner/novice, it's capable of doing damage pretty quickly just like a rotary can. Some people love it, and some hate it.
I'd say stick to a PC 7424XP [/QUOTE]

Also the Flex uses the big pads because you can't swap out the backing plates .... Stick with the PC.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the flex is also alot more expensive...trust in numbers, the pc is all your need to do paint correction and maintain your paint to a show car level...yes, the flex and or a rotary will remove defects quicker, but at what price...get the pc with orange, white and black pads and some of the polishes recommended above, and you will be set...i was a beginner 3 years ago, and still dont need anything other then my pc
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

btw, what i see in your pics is light to moderate swirls, and water spots...
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Also the Flex uses the big pads because you can't swap out the backing plates .... Stick with the PC.
PC is really all you should need.....5.5" Orange and white pads, your styling. Red for sealants.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Racer

I was looking at the detail the guy on there did with 1Z einszett Glanz Wax looks pretty sweet!

I will be using a DA buffer of whichever brand, I'm not sure yet, but with the LC CCS pads. Flame me but I'm leaning towards the Flex DA, yes I know be warned, but I've been reading alot of review about the Flex and it doesn't seem as scary as it appears. But I'm still not sure.

So I have compiled a list of the brands of the different products to choose from, what's the best choice would you say for my NBP TL? I guess I will also be using this stuff for my Red 4Runner, probably my in-laws white pearl caddy, and their Tundra.

Wolfgang Products
Pinnacle Products
Dodo Juice Carnauba Car Waxes
1Z Einszett Car Care Products
Klasse Sealant Products
Meguiars Car Care Products
Menzerna Polishing Compounds
Optimum Polymer Technologies

If you recommend a certain brand could you mention which product combo's would work with each other. I guess I want the compound/polish, sealant, & wax or which ever items I need.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's amazing that you keep asking questions when you have been given the answers.

Read the answers. If you don't like these answers and you know better than those that have given advice, why do you continue to ask?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DJMcGee
It's amazing that you keep asking questions when you have been given the answers.

Read the answers. If you don't like these answers and you know better than those that have given advice, why do you continue to ask?

Exactly .... all your doing is outhinking yourself and in the end will end up with a bunch of expensive products that don't do any better than what was already suggested.

So I'll reapeat to save typing ..

In most cases your better off to buy the PC and supplies in "non" kit form .. then you get to select exactly what you need.

How about this ;

1) PC here --> http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424xp_5polisher.htm free shipping and you get the backing plate for 5.5" pads

2) 2 orange pads

3) 3 white pads

above bought here --> http://www.westcoastdetailsupply.com...hing_Pads.html

4) Optimum Polish 32

5) Optimum Compound II 8oz

6) Optimum Hyper Compound 8oz

above bought here ---> http://www.westcoastdetailsupply.com..._Polishes.html

7) Duragloss 105 TPP 16oz

Above bought here ----> http://www.westcoastdetailsupply.com..._Sealants.html

Go ahead and buy your Flex .. then after that by a PC because the Flex wont get into the smaller places because of the bigger pads. At least with the PC you can also get a 3.5" backing plate and a couple 4" pads for that.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Jesstzn,

Five bucks says he buys what he wants not what you recommended.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ not betting against you
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Racer

Hey guy's I have read everything you guys have said, Jesstzn don't take any offense I did see what you recommended. I was just thinking that maybe someone else would have chimed in with a recommended product also.

I see all sorts of products out there, I just figured more than one person would have an opinion on what they like and use. But if the consensus is what you have listed I'm game with that.

DJMcGee - Dude if you are gonna be an a$$ just stop posting please. If you aren't going to offer sound advice don't bother.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chayos00
DJMcGee - Dude if you are gonna be an a$$ just stop posting please. If you aren't going to offer sound advice don't bother.
I don't think he was being an ass .. we get a lot of people come in here and ask the same questions then outguess the pros suggestions only to end up buying expensive stuff and getting less than stellar results.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Safety Car

I don't think he was being an ass .. we get a lot of people come in here and ask the same questions then outguess the pros suggestions only to end up buying expensive stuff and getting less than stellar results.
i dont know, i think he was being an ass...
Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

Originally Posted by chayos00
Hey guy's I have read everything you guys have said, Jesstzn don't take any offense I did see what you recommended. I was just thinking that maybe someone else would have chimed in with a recommended product also.

I see all sorts of products out there, I just figured more than one person would have an opinion on what they like and use. But if the consensus is what you have listed I'm game with that.

I did. I recommended a machine to fit your needs, gave you price points and comparison of it's characteristics against a competitive model. I offered suggestions on the products I use, and even gave you a slough of pictures to demonstrate what those product recommendations can achieve. What else do you want?!

Instead of calling people names, try to see the point being made, which is that several folks have offered sound advice, and you are coming across as if you're ignoring their advice and continuing to re-format and then re-ask your question.

If you have additional questions you'd like to ask of those of us who've made product recommendations, shoot. But don't keep asking the same question in 50 different ways, and then call someone an ass when they point it out.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Safety Car

lighten up francis...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, i visited show car detailing today (the owner is the creator of black wow), and tried the FLEX DA for the 1st time. I HATE THAT THING, lol. True, it does correct faster than a traditional DA. True, it does have a propriertary backing plate, but that does have its advantages (its very well built, don't gotta worry about breaking it). BUT, the damn thing fought me so much, i felt like i was using a rotary. Hell, not even my FLEX rotaryor my Makita fights me THAT MUCH!

To the OP: Just buy what Jesstzn told you, he knows his stuff, and try not to buy too much polish/sealant at one time (you'll end up using only one specific brand and the rest are just going to sit there, it's a waste of money really.)
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Instructor

good read
Old 09-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Instructor

I also have a porter cable DA and it's a great machine for the enthusiast.

Didn't think I needed to add more to what Jesstzn said since I agree with him.

Meguiars makes good products but what he recommends is better.

Just having a little fun ladies. If you can't take the heat then maybe you should take off your apron and get out of the kitchen.

And to all those question asking posters, don't get your panties in a bunch when you get called on the carpet for not listening. If you don't want to listen then don't ask!! If you wanted more opinions then the polite way is:

"Jesstzn, I hear what you are saying, are there any other opinions out there??"
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DJMcGee
I also have a porter cable DA and it's a great machine for the enthusiast.

Didn't think I needed to add more to what Jesstzn said since I agree with him.

Meguiars makes good products but what he recommends is better.

Just having a little fun ladies. If you can't take the heat then maybe you should take off your apron and get out of the kitchen.

And to all those question asking posters, don't get your panties in a bunch when you get called on the carpet for not listening. If you don't want to listen then don't ask!! If you wanted more opinions then the polite way is:

"Jesstzn, I hear what you are saying, are there any other opinions out there??"
quit while your ahead, you were being an ass...next time your asking for help we will be sure to hit you while your down instead of trying to help...

and quit kissing dales ass!!

just one of the ladies...

Last edited by vinnier6; 09-16-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Racer

Just going to say, I'm done with this section of Acurazine. I do want to thank the guys on here that have actually helped and given their opinions of helping me in my final decision of using the PC 7424. I was having good results till I asked if anyone else had any other opinions (post #17). Some people just can't handle a very detail oriented person who wants to explore all options available to them.

I've had much better responses with my 4runner guys while asking for help in choosing a compound/polish/sealant/wax combo.

Thanks for your inital help: Jesstzn, jsilas, & exceldetail

I also would like to thank vinnier6, obiviously you saw it the same way I did.

Last edited by chayos00; 09-16-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

dont let one or two stinky posts scare you off...
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
10th Gear

What's the difference between a Porter Cable 7424 and a 7424XP? Does it matter much?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

Also, is one backing plate enough?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skip87
What's the difference between a Porter Cable 7424 and a 7424XP? Does it matter much?
The XP is the new design and more powerful than the 7424.

1 Backing plate is fine unless your going to be using 4" pads also.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the info. One more quick question

What are the different size pads used for?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I use the 5.5" for all over polishing and the 4" I use for heavier spot correction and also to get into smaller areas.

Thats why I tend not to recommend the Flex or the Griots because your limited to larger pads or larger polish areas.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

smaller pads correct quicker, larger pads cover more ground quicker...

i, like dale, use the 5.5" for most of my work...which is just my own car...dale does many cars...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, is one backing plate enough?
One is enough for personal use (if you polish your car once a year or something). If you are doing it full time or even part time, it's good to have a spare on hand. Heat created from the machine (more like the motor), can eat up the backing plate faster than you think.
I visited a professional yesterday who details for the living, he told me he went through a brand new backing plate in 3 weeks. (working 3 - 5 days a week for 3 weeks straight).
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
One is enough for personal use (if you polish your car once a year or something). If you are doing it full time or even part time, it's good to have a spare on hand. Heat created from the machine (more like the motor), can eat up the backing plate faster than you think.
I visited a professional yesterday who details for the living, he told me he went through a brand new backing plate in 3 weeks. (working 3 - 5 days a week for 3 weeks straight).
not with a d/a random orbital machine like the pc though...i would think that is not a problem (burning up pads) with a circular machine though...

Quick Reply: Help with picking a mechanical buffer/polisher