Help me, I got crazy SWIRLS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me, I got crazy SWIRLS!

So now that I moved I finally have a garage again to pamper my car. I bought the car in Dec. 08 and whoever had it before probably washed the car with sand paper!! The trunk is really bad and has marring too.

Here is what I planned on buying to take care of these swirls:
1. Zaino Z-5 (to remove the swirls)
2. Zaino Z-2 (polish afterward)
3. Leather in a bottle (just because I've heard such great things about it).

4. I already have Mother's claybar.

I have little buffer that I don't know will be good enough to take off the swirls. It's similar to the cheap $50 ones at auto zone. I would buy another nice one but I'm really on a budget right now.

Will the type of buffer I have be able to take out the swirl marks with the Zaino Z-5?

Is Zaino over rated and over priced?

Any comments or suggestions will really be helpful!! Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Z anything won't polish that out! You will need something that will actually bite and correct the paint, not fill it in...
Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Time to invest in a PC (Porter Cable Random Orbital Polisher), some polishing pads, proper polishes/compounds and a whole lot else. I'd go into more detail, but it's late.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Z anything won't polish that out! You will need something that will actually bite and correct the paint, not fill it in...

Yup...........Drop a couple/few hundred and get yourself set up for the long haul.
Most people who purchase new/used new cars finance for what......48-60 months? Take one of the those 48-60 payments and put it towards car care products which will provide for you the whole time you own it!
Theres a whole team full of players here on Azine who are more then willing to help (including me) when your serious!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the above. There are tons of products to choose from that will take that out. Porter Cable (PC) or Ultimate Detail Machine (UDM) will be a must though.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ can those swirls be removed without using a buffer ???? just curious.....i know the swirls look bad and deep....what products would you guys recommend !!!

the reason i ask is my girl has not taken care of her since the day she got it....so i was thinking of detailing her car....since i regularly wash and wax my ride....i have never needed a swirl remover (even thow i use meguairs swirlx or back to black some like that).....but i dont really wanna invest like 300-400 bucks on it.....

what would u guys suggest !!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ can those swirls be removed without using a buffer ????
The answer is no... and also no the the next question .. can I do it with a $30 cheapo from Wal Mart.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
The answer is no... and also no the the next question .. can I do it with a $30 cheapo from Wal Mart.
^^^ ok so apparently u stuck ur tongue out and didnt answer any of the questions....

if you have product knowledge enlighten me....else let the people who know the answer talk and u can listen and learn !!!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Take a look at this thread. This is the minimal work required to get it looking decent, mind you its only a 1 step with a machine, plus a sealant.
Your really going to need to invest in a machine to make it worthy.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks a lot excel !!!

what would recommend for a person who is on a budget.....i want the swirls gone....and shine.....

so i bet i would need a buffer/clay bar/swirl remover/polish/wax.....what product would u recommend !!!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks a lot excel !!!

what would recommend for a person who is on a budget.....i want the swirls gone....and shine.....

so i bet i would need a buffer/clay bar/swirl remover/polish/wax.....what product would u recommend !!!
Exactly......
  1. PC 7424XP for machine work
  2. Light Grade Clay Bar, to remove fallout.
  3. Optimum Compound, Optimum Polish (go with 8oz's) 2 gentle polishes, VERY user friendly. I cant over emphasize the importance of starting with something easy to use.
  4. 2 Orange, 1 White 1 Red 5.5 Erasure pads, helps reduce swirls and scratches
  5. Your choice here: DG 105, Four Star Ult Paint Protectant, Glanz Wax, Optimum Spray Wax. Excellent protectants
  6. Optimum Instant Detailer/Gloss Enhancer. For between washes
  7. DG 951 (Spray Wax) Optimum Car Wax (Spray) For after washes to add slickness and protection between quarterly detailing.
  8. Polishing towels (microfibers)
Of course this is just a list, feel free to edit according to your budget. Dont forget your discounts!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
^^^ ok so apparently u stuck ur tongue out and didnt answer any of the questions....

if you have product knowledge enlighten me....else let the people who know the answer talk and u can listen and learn !!!
Look .. I didn't suggest anything because you said up front you didn't want to spend the necessary money to do it and there is nothing out there thats going to correct that on a whole car without using at least a PC and the proper pads/polishes which are going to cost you at least $200. So in essence I had nothing to suggest.

The list posted by Excel is going to be at least a $200 hit ( I didn't tally it but I have all those products ) and you won't do better elsewhere. But your going to have to spend the money to do it right or have it professionally done then maintain it.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Thanks a lot excel !!!

For someone on a budget, just space it out. Save up and buy the PC, then a couple weeks later, kick out 50 or 60 on some pads, then a couple weeks later, kick out some money for some products from excel, and boom you're ready to go.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Addict

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
For someone on a budget, just space it out. Save up and buy the PC, then a couple weeks later, kick out 50 or 60 on some pads, then a couple weeks later, kick out some money for some products from excel, and boom you're ready to go.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Also if you do end up getting the PC look on you tube. There are quite a few 'instructional' videos on there. Technique is a big part of having a good detail. Also you will learn what blemishes can be removed and ones that can't.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:15 PM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Thank you everyone for the replies!!! Looks like I'm just going to have to bite my tounge and just get a buffer.

Exceldetail - Please help me, I know a decent amount about cars but when it comes to detailing all I know how to do is clay bar and some noob polishing. lol

1. Is the PC7424XP the best bang for the buck?
2. What is the difference between the different color pads?
3. Which thing on that list will be removing the swirls? (polish)
4. What is your website?

Someone on G35 forum recommended Menzerna Intensive Polish to remove the swirls. Anyone one have any experience with that product?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

1. Is the PC7424XP the best bang for the buck?

Yes. Search around the internet and see the price you can get it at. You might even be able to pick up a used one (I did this when I was strapped on cash). Check the UDM as well. It is basically the same unit but has a little more power.

2. What is the difference between the different color pads?

Some pads will have more cut than others. Normally from highest cut to lower it is:

Yellow
Orange
White
Green
Black
Blue

3. Which thing on that list will be removing the swirls? (polish)

Depends on what you get. There are so many polishes out there. For instances I use menzerna polishes. I currently only have their Intensive Polish, IP (which is used to clean up most swirls) and 106ff (which is a 'weaker' polish and helps buff the paint to a nice shine). They also have a Super Intensive Polish, SIP, which is good for more correction and/or harder paint. I have found that Honda/Acura have pretty soft paint and don't need the SIP.

You will use differnet combinations of polish and pads to achieve the correction you want. I normally use the IP on the orange pad, then the 106ff on a white pad. I have found this works good for my style and cars. It may vary a little with you (it's one of those things you will find out from experience). Once you get product or choose a few that you are looking into, the experts can probally give you a good starting point for this process.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BLaCk Acc
Someone on G35 forum recommended Menzerna Intensive Polish to remove the swirls. Anyone one have any experience with that product?
I use Menzerna's Super Intensive Polish (PO83) which has enough cut for the softer Japanese paint that won't haze like crazy. For finishing down to get that real shine, I suggest Menzerna Super Finish (PO106FA).

Buy at least two pads of each color. I've had good luck cutting with Lake Country orange pads and finishing down using an LC White. Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
8th Gear

every time i wash my car i use a cleaner wax then i polish and then a carnauba wax. is that good for my 04 black TL ?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
hates potatoville

Originally Posted by exceldetail

Yup...........Drop a couple/few hundred and get yourself set up for the long haul.
Most people who purchase new/used new cars finance for what......48-60 months? Take one of the those 48-60 payments and put it towards car care products which will provide for you the whole time you own it!
Theres a whole team full of players here on Azine who are more then willing to help (including me) when your serious!
Make sure you get your products from Exceldetail! Shipping is fast. You won't go wrong. First place I'm going to for now on when I need something for sure.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arrancarTL
every time i wash my car i use a cleaner wax then i polish and then a carnauba wax. is that good for my 04 black TL ?
Polish, as in using a buffer and compound? If so then yeah that could be a problem. You should only polish once a year. When you polish it basically is sanding down the clearcoat so there are not as many sharp edges where scratches are. It gets a little technical, but essentially if you keep polishing over and over you will go through the clear.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by arrancarTL
I guess a cleaner/wax is "ok", followed by a Nuba. But........
After you have it cleaned up real good, aka clayed/polished, just use a spray wax afterwards.
If that Nuba you were using had any longevity, you wouldnt find yourself using it as often as you do.
You can get better results using a hybrid spray product (nuba-Polymer) after every wash.
I def would not be using a machine on it monthly though!