Help: Bugs + Tarminator = Smudges?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006 | 06:54 PM
BRH
BRH

Help: Bugs + Tarminator = Smudges?

In the past 7-10 days, I've noticed a significant amount of what appears to be dead bug residue on my hood. I did some research here and decided to try Stoner's Tarminator to get rid of the gunk.

Being a cautious sort, I tried it first in a non-obvious location (bottom of back bumper) and found that there didn't appear to be any negative affects. So, I decided to start on the hood. Again being a cautious guy, I decided to start with the bug residue that was on the clear bra.

I followed the instructions (just spray onto an microfiber applicator and apply it to the bug guts), and now I have several bug smears on my clear bra, instead of small bug "tick marks" that I started out with.

Did I do something wrong? How do I get rid of those smears now, and is it safe to use the Tarminator on the actual hood?

Any advice on what I might have done wrong and/or how to clean the clear bra now would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2006 | 04:26 PM
BRH
BRH

Hmm.... No responses to this plea for help? Perhaps I need to post a pic or two so you can see what I mean......

(I hope that this works. I've only posted pics once before -- quite awhile ago.)

Any help on dealing with these smudges on the clear bra would be greatly appreciated!

They were caused when I tried clearing some gunk off of it, using Tarminator. I just tried scrubbing the areas real good with Meguiar's deep Crystal Car Wash. It didn't help at all.

It's an Autobahnd clear bra, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006 | 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Im worried the Tarminators chemical makeup may have impaired the surface clarity of the clear bra, bro.......Try some of the Megs Deep Crystal Polish, which is a chemical cleaner......You could be screwed though..........
Clear Bras are made of vinyl, and not real compatible with strong detergents or petroleum products.....
Old 08-10-2006 | 06:53 PM
BRH
BRH

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Any advice as on precedures to follow, since this wouldn't be what its normally used for?

Put the Megs on lightly, or really work it in?

Let sit and dry, or wipe it off right away?

Apply by hand or use a PC?

Any thoughts on this would be most helpful.
Old 08-10-2006 | 08:13 PM
Intermediate

So Excel, are you saying that we should never use a bug and tar remover on the clear bra??
Old 08-11-2006 | 12:17 AM
Former Sponsor

I wouldnt.......be patient and just use soap and water or a less aggressive product.
For your reading regarding tarminator......
........ it is a powerful cleaner which can be harmful to some plastics, adhesives, decals, or solvent-sensitive materials. Before using, always test for compatibility in a small, out-of-sight area. Avoid over application which can run and drip onto sensitive materials.
Old 08-11-2006 | 06:39 PM
BRH
BRH

Do I Have a Warranty Claim?

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Im worried the Tarminators chemical makeup may have impaired the surface clarity of the clear bra, bro.......Try some of the Megs Deep Crystal Polish, which is a chemical cleaner......You could be screwed though..........
Clear Bras are made of vinyl, and not real compatible with strong detergents or petroleum products.....
I picked up the Megs Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2 of their 3 Step System....) However, before using it, I read the entire label (See -- I'm learning....), and it says: "Keep off vinyl, rubber, cloth, and porous plastic surfaces". Hmm...sounds like I might be doing more harm than good in using this stuff, no?

Then another thought entered my mind. The clear bra was bought from the dealer as part of my car purchase. The Autobahnd warranty card, under Care Instructions says, in part ...."The surface of the film has a coating similar to the clearcoat used on your vehicle's finish. The film's finish should be cared for in the same manner."

The Lifetime Warranty states: "Autobahnd Roadblock guarantees the Roadblock Paint Protection Film against defects in material or workmanship, for as long as the original purchaser retains ownership of the vehicle. This warranty does not cover any other defects other than those specified, and is made solely to the original purchaser and may not be transferred. Autobahnd will repair or replace, at its option and at its cost any defective kit component following an inspection at an authorized Autobahnd Roadblock dealer worldwide."

My question: Since I used a product meant to be used on the car's finish, and it resulted in these smudges on the Autobahnd clear bra, shouldn't this be covered under the dealer's warranty? Can it not be argued that the product is defective since it was damaged by a product (Tarminator) that is normally safe to be applied onto a car's surface? Since this was sold to me by the Acura dealer, do I have a legitimate warranty claim with the dealer?

Any thoughts on this would be most helpful.

In the meantime, I won't dick around with it anymore. The Deep Crystal Polish will stay in the bag for the time being.

Thanks.